New York Jets Historical Uni Discussion

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Was there ever an explanation to why the Jets didn’t bother changing the helmets in 94? That was so bizarre. 

I never realized the Jets did the Namath throwback using green helmets twice - the first time was in 1993 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Super Bowl III, where they didn’t even bother to add the helmet stripes, just peeled the logo off and replaced it with the 60s version (according to the Gridiron Database this was the first use of a throwback uniform btw): 

Jets93.png

Then for the 1994 NFL 75th season throwbacks, the Jets switched the Jersey to green and added the helmet stripes:

1994_JetsThrowback.jpg

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Was there ever an explanation to why the Jets didn’t bother changing the helmets in 94? That was so bizarre. 

@Gothamite posted a rumor about the reason (at least i didn't see a link to it when it was posted). I presume he will chime in here 😄

It's where I sit.

39 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

@Gothamite posted a rumor about the reason (at least i didn't see a link to it when it was posted). I presume he will chime in here 😄

I remember reading that there were different reasons for teams not switching shells. Cost was likely one of them, but there was also some concern about “breaking in” a second set of shells.  I know for a fact that at least one team chose to wear their regular helmets with throwback decals out of safety concerns, or at least said that was the reason, but I’m not 100% which one that was. 

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

The Bills did the same thing:

zxlw2bblicdra6hohvdd&f=1&nofb=1

I like the white buffalo, but the whole set felt off

The numbers weren't the same as 1960, the sleeves probably just looked confusing to Bills fans 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

52 minutes ago, 406Cane said:

spacer.png

I think the Dolphins did a decal switch that year too, with throwback pants. The jerseys seem to have stayed the same though. 

The entire NFL did it in 1994.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, 406Cane said:

I'm aware of that.

Ok - then I missed the point of your post. 

Since the entire league did it, it was logical that certain teams changed decals, like the Jets.

It's where I sit.

• 1 month later...

Archived