The KBO Thread

BigRed618

To those not yet in the know, South Korea has relaxed their restrictions to the point that their baseball league, the Korean Baseball Organization, has started playing games. No fans in the stands, but that could change soon. ESPN has agreed to show KBO games in the States. You’ll need to get up before dawn to catch the live broadcasts, but it’s better than nothing, I think. 

Here’s some more info I found on teams, rules, schedule, players, and other stuff

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29136672/kbo-espn-schedule-how-watch-teams-korea-baseball-league-more

Anyway, let’s talk K-ball!

I had the Samsung Lions and Dinos game on yesterday afternoon while I was working, and I enjoyed it. It's obviously not quite the same for many reasons, but it was nice to have baseball to watch.

Also, let's go Giants!

(I'm rooting for them solely because former Angel Hank Conger is their catching coach)

The games are on Twitch and there's at least one game a day on ESPN/ESPN2.

There's also a replay of the early morning game on ESPN2 coming up at 1 PM (ET)/11 AM (PT).

Also if a lone KBO game isn't scratching your sports itch, Eleven Sports Taiwan has been showing Rakuten Monkeys games from the CPBL, along with select showings of the other game being played that day on some Fridays and Saturdays with English commentary through their Twitter feed free for everyone to view (Link here: https://twitter.com/ElevenSportsTW). The broadcasters are quite entertaining as it's not their primary job (lead play by play man Richard Wang is normally a play by play guy in Mandarin for MLB broadcasts in Taiwan, and Wayne McNeill who is a Canadian expat who does this as a hobby) but their enthusiasm for doing the broadcasts alone is worth a listen. The CPBL has been playing since I think April 12 with no fans and will start allowing a limited number of fans (around 250 per game) into the stands starting this weekend. The English broadcasts have been garnering enough attention (almost a million views per game) that the league has even created an English language website with information about the league's history, schedule, etc... http://www.cpbl.com.tw/eng/history/

I remember stumbling upon the Twins stadium in Seoul.  Never thought I'd ever hear them discussed in the states.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Also if a lone KBO game isn't scratching your sports itch, Eleven Sports Taiwan has been showing Rakuten Monkeys games from the CPBL...

I'll save you guys the google...it's not baseball playing monkeys. 

14 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

I'd love to know the origin behind the LG Twins' name. Doesn't look like they're based in an area with two major cities bordering each other... But in any case, looks like I've found my KBO team!

I believe it was just to give it a major league sounding name. No specific reason they chose the Twins in particular other than they had won the 87 series and LG bought the team going into the 89 season and changed the name for the 90 season

It's down to the Kia Tigers (historically the New York Yankees of Korea), LG Twins (one of the KBO teams who have pinstripes, and based in Seoul), Doosan Bears (who are the defending champs and won the most championships of the last decade, also based in Seoul and play in the same stadium as the LG Twins), KT (nobody beats the) Wiz, NC Dinos and Lotte Giants for me to root for

32 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

It's down to the Kia Tigers (historically the New York Yankees of Korea), LG Twins (one of the KBO teams who have pinstripes, and based in Seoul), Doosan Bears (who are the defending champs and won the most championships of the last decade, also based in Seoul and play in the same stadium as the LG Twins), KT (nobody beats the) Wiz, NC Dinos and Lotte Giants for me to root for

I'm down to the Lotte Giants or KT Wiz. I'd been somewhat interested in the former due to their rabid fans, but then the Wiz came to San Diego to play some preseason games a few years ago against University of San Diego and it's made choosing difficult. 

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

You just named practically half the league XD

I’m going with Lions myself, mainly because 1. I’ve been told they’re good, and 2. one of their players, Seung-Hwan Oh, once played for my beloved Cardinals.

Apparently the Twitch streams of KBO are now shut down for the USA which stinks. Same with Eleven Sports' CPBL coverage. Hopefully SpoTV in Korea can variate the teams being broadcasted, only 5 teams are being shown in the first week on ESPN.

Games have been fun and the wave of banter i've seen online has been such a fun aspect while everyone has been starved of sports. Started cheering for the Giants because a twitter mutual works for them, and fresh off a last place season(with the highest payroll), they're 3-0 to start and looking solid.iqzwwo5dicx41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

I think I've become an SK Wyverns fan just because of their incredibly unique nickname.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 hours ago, raysox said:

Apparently the Twitch streams of KBO are now shut down for the USA which stinks. Same with Eleven Sports' CPBL coverage. Hopefully SpoTV in Korea can variate the teams being broadcasted, only 5 teams are being shown in the first week on ESPN.

Games have been fun and the wave of banter i've seen online has been such a fun aspect while everyone has been starved of sports. Started cheering for the Giants because a twitter mutual works for them, and fresh off a last place season(with the highest payroll), they're 3-0 to start and looking solid.iqzwwo5dicx41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Other teams CPBL broadcasts are still up and free on Twitter. And Eleven sports just posted this about Monkeys games

Archived