NFL Redesign by SteinCreative - (8/32 teams posted)

OhioSportsMan61

Hello there!

This is something totally different for me. I have almost exclusively worked on hockey/NHL concepts over the years and have never really taken the time to branch out of my comfort zone. With quarantine hitting week 8 here in Ohio, I figured that now would be a great time to try out something new and begin a new design project. Similar to my last project, I wanted to give each team four uniform options, with the caveat that they still must follow the NFL/Nike's guidelines of using one helmet (can use interchangeable decals and facemasks). Each team will have a Light, Dark, Color Rush, and Throwback or Alternate option (all of the pants options can be interchangeable, too).

Teams will be posted in no particular order (this is still very much a work in progress), but will be posted one division at a time.

Up first, the team with the #1 pick in this year's draft: Cincinnati Bengals

nKin4bS.png

p6Jmkka.jpg

3K5EQp3.png

YcWcv0V.jpg

(and shameless plug...if you missed my last project, check out the thread here:)

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good start, but there are some things you could tweak. For one, the frequency of the striping is different across the mediums. Even though the tiger striping theme is consistent, the actual volume of striping is not, so the uniform looks a bit disjointed -- almost as if someone took the Bengals 80s, 90s, and 2000s unioforms and mixed and matched them. I'd go back, pay attention to the application scale, just as you would with classic stripes. Also, as much as I would like the Bengals to drop the Reebok font they have, plain white block isn't really inspiring. Simple uniforms look great but gain their uniqueness from the simplest things and that includes the font choice. I'd go with something more block custom. 

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Good start, but there are some things you could tweak. For one, the frequency of the striping is different across the mediums. Even though the tiger striping theme is consistent, the actual volume of striping is not, so the uniform looks a bit disjointed -- almost as if someone took the Bengals 80s, 90s, and 2000s unioforms and mixed and matched them. I'd go back, pay attention to the application scale, just as you would with classic stripes. Also, as much as I would like the Bengals to drop the Reebok font they have, plain white block isn't really inspiring. Simple uniforms look great but gain their uniqueness from the simplest things and that includes the font choice. I'd go with something more block custom. 

Thanks for the feedback! I've made some changes to the pant stripe to make it more consistent with the shoulder striping. I decided to leave the block font alone, as I was going for a similar feel to both their current color rush uniforms, as well as the simple look of LSU's football uniforms (which inspired this set, because, ya know, Joe Burrow)

TBAmpvT.png

4rptgog.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

I think your color balancing is a little off, especially on the away jersey. I'd remove the black on the sleeve cuffs. I'd also try thickening up the numbers and outlining them with orange, on both uniforms. I'd also replace the B logo with the wordmark under the collar, that's one of the things that bugs me most on our current uniforms. Finally I would drop the orange pants on the alternate and replace them with white ones. The throwback I'm indifferent on, I think a Super Bowl throwback would be cool but that's basically what the uniforms already are.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

51 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

That throwback jersey seems a little to similar to the Browns

That's the point. Paul Brown had a basic uniform design he liked to use and brought it with him to Cincinnati.

I dig the simplicity of it and the I think the shoulder stripes works well for the Bengals. One minor nitpick. I don't think the B logo on the chest works well. On the black jersey, orange never touches white... except for on that logo. That chest logo just stands out too much to me. Maybe it's just a personal preference. I do realize that it's hard to fit primary logos onto the uniforms of teams that don't put primary logos on the helmet... the Vikings have this problem.

17 hours ago, NicDB said:

That's the point. Paul Brown had a basic uniform design he liked to use and brought it with him to Cincinnati.

I know, but you don't want your throwbacks to look like one of your biggest rivals, even if that was the inspiration for it

The Browns uniform is pretty ugly, which is curious because the throwback you made looks great. I'm not sure why you chose to keep the ugly CLEVELAND workmark on the jersey and that diarrhea brown color you chose is pretty rough. 

cleveland_ghosts_legendary_players_by_ve

I dig the Bengals concept.  They really need to go simple if they are going to keep striping on the uniform.  The striping PLUS the bizarre paneling they have now just doesn't work IMO.

Archived