NBA Dallas Mavericks theme change

McC_Jack

This is my first real shot at a uniform concept. I'm very new to photoshop but I think now is the best time to learn, as I've been infatuated with uniform design since I was young.

I didn't want to just copy/paste the Mavs logo from the 80s & 90s so I did make my own version of a very similar logo, but I admit I was more focused on the uniforms than creating a logo.

mmaPgOd.jpg

UjHiEAS.jpg

QqJrtWb.jpg

EK8yIAj.jpg

This is a really good start. I think the logo leaves a lot to be desired but it isn’t horrible. I love the font and think it works great. I don’t like the number being off set from the logo on the front. Could you try to put it in the ball?

9 minutes ago, rknig1010 said:

This is a really good start. I think the logo leaves a lot to be desired but it isn’t horrible. I love the font and think it works great. I don’t like the number being off set from the logo on the front. Could you try to put it in the ball?

Yeah i think the hat particularly just looks thrown on top of the M, but again I'm new, ill get better lmao. I definitely played around with the # location but ultimately liked the idea of the # being in the same spot as the M on the logo.
http://r2RQwqi.png

The M on the logo looks vertically stretched to the point that it's distracting. And frankly, the 3 elements of the logo don't seem to jive together at all. Even the hat on the M doesn't look quite right. There's no reason for the white lines in the M to stop halfway inside the hat for example.

All that said, I appreciate the color scheme and the overall identity/scheme that the uniforms has works quite well. I think the basketball with the number works well too, especially in the updated version. Keep messing around with that logo! I just recently started designing logos, and I think you'd be surprised by how much better things get just by messing around with things, even though most of what you try might not stick.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye15 said:

The M on the logo looks vertically stretched to the point that it's distracting. And frankly, the 3 elements of the logo don't seem to jive together at all. Even the hat on the M doesn't look quite right. There's no reason for the white lines in the M to stop halfway inside the hat for example.

All that said, I appreciate the color scheme and the overall identity/scheme that the uniforms has works quite well. I think the basketball with the number works well too, especially in the updated version. Keep messing around with that logo! I just recently started designing logos, and I think you'd be surprised by how much better things get just by messing around with things, even though most of what you try might not stick.

appreciate the comment, i think im going to need to give illustrator a go soon for logo design

1 hour ago, McC_Jack said:

I definitely played around with the # location but ultimately liked the idea of the # being in the same spot as the M on the logo.
http://r2RQwqi.png

That makes sense now, but I like this better. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye15 said:

The M on the logo looks vertically stretched to the point that it's distracting.

Very true. I didn’t see this at first, but it is. 

I think for a first try this is pretty good. 

I echo the sentiments on the logo.  It's a good direction, just needs some finesse - play with it and see what happens.  The uniforms though... DAMN - love them.  They feel classic and new at the same time.  I have never been a fan of Dallas' current set for some reason - just always seems bland.  

Archived