NBA Uniform/Logo Concepts - The End

edjb93

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/24/2020 at 1:24 AM, jbird669 said:

Waiting to see what's in store for the Bulls. 

I've been thinking about a Bulls concept uniform set (and possibly a more refined and more modern logo) lately, and one thing that I'm not sure about is the color of the front wordmark and the numbers on the red icon uniform. The black wordmark and numbers have been that way ever since the introduction of the cursive "Chicago" script in 1973. However, when the franchise started, the red uniform featured white numbers. Except for some teams, I'm in favor of readability over style when it comes to the numbers.

With all that being said, are you in favor of black numbers or white numbers on the icon uniform?

By the way, I have finished my Cavs concept logos and uniforms, so stay tuned!

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

In my opinion, the current primary logo is a downgrade, although the current logo set still follows the motif used since 2003. As you can see on my profile, I'm a big fan of the LeBron James era logo, and for my Cavs concept, I drew inspirations from that particular logo, while signifying a "changing of the guard" throughout the team's rebuilding stages. In fact, this was the very first logo that I conceptualized few years ago. The two crossed swords were taken from the center court logo during the first post-LeBron years.

lKw36m1.png

I initially made the association, icon, and statement uniforms follow the theme of the 2019-20 city uniform, but eventually, I thought that it might not have enough color distribution on the first two uniform editions. So, I decided to follow the design of the current uniforms and make some modifications, like the sublimated pattern on the side panels, which was taken from the current statement uniform. You may not see it from afar (especially with the wine-colored ones), but the numbers on the first three uniforms are beveled. Based from @_DietDrPepper_'s suggestion, the numbers are no longer beveled, and the font I selected for numbers that is close to the wordmark font is the one used by the Wisconsin Badgers. The statement edition is just basically the 2019-20 city uniform, but with the new logos, wordmark, and numbers, not to mention a new collar design.

Remember the CavFanatic jerseys? Those jerseys are mashups of different eras, and for my city uniform, I decided to go for a CavFanatic route. During the first post-LeBron season, the Cavs wore the 2005-2010 navy alternates in 90's colors. Those navy alternates are a fan-favorite, so I couldn't hesitate to make 'em the basis of my city uniform concept. Stating the obvious, the front script is taken from the inaugural uniforms, but it spells "Cleveland" instead, to highlight the "city" aspect.

g9pLJu2.png

8K25FEa.png

ZmTVued.png

s3j9Kza.png

• 2 weeks later...

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

The Bucks' current uniforms are already great. They're so great, I made just a few tweaks. I changed the sleeve and collar trim from a single color to a green trim with a thinner cream trim on both association and icon sets. I added the "Cream City Rainbow" on the shorts for consistency's sake as well.

The statement uniform takes a cue from the purple-and-green era uniforms. I specifically took the most recent version of those uniforms, the ones where the shorts' side panels extend to the jerseys. Even the front wordmark shares a similar height pattern. I initially went for a black statement uniform, but cream found its way to become the base color, since it is one of the primary colors of the team, while black is a supporting color.

Now here's my favorite part. Since Milwaukee is called "Brew City", due to having lots of breweries in the city, I went all-in with this particular nickname for the city uniform. The first thing popped on my mind was Miller Lite (this concept was not sponsored by the Miller Brewing Company). Given that it went back to the throwback design full-time, I think it's "high life" time to incorporate that design onto a basketball uniform. Plus, Lite is one of the Bucks' sponsors, and the brewery itself is a founding partner of Fiserv Forum. I initially hesitated to do this, since Lite's color palette is identical to the New Orleans Pelicans' colors. Eventually, I pushed through, since the Utah Jazz' city uniform primarily uses a theme that fits Miami Heat. Also, I got an inspiration from @Hoopladawg87's Miller High Life concept.

The front wordmark kinda' resembles the "Lite" script, while the side panels containing barley were inspired by the navy-and-red oval logo below the script. The numbers follow the same font as the wordmark's, and "Brew City" is found on the "buckle" of the shorts. Both the front script and the numbers incorporate golden drop shadows a la Milwaukee Brewers from 2000 to 2019. Please enjoy this set responsibly.

T4yhCSH.png

FqW3OMT.png

FmFDWrp.png

SXY8hry.png

Good package overall. Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if you got rid of the blue. I always thought it looked awkward with the other colors, but the fact that it amounts to a blue line doesn't really go over well with a good chunk of the fans.

Your Miller inspired concept looks good. But I'm not sure I'd consider them to be Milwaukee's most iconic beer. That'd be PBR if anything. I would also argue that Schlitz, Blatz, and now even Lakefront and New Glarus have more local cache. I'd love to see a city concept based on any of those.

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Your Miller inspired concept looks good. But I'm not sure I'd consider them to be Milwaukee's most iconic beer. That'd be PBR if anything. I would also argue that Schlitz, Blatz, and now even Lakefront and New Glarus have more local cache. I'd love to see a city concept based on any of those.

That's coming from a Milwaukee resident, TIL. Though, my city jersey concept also came from watching many vintage commercials (especially from the 80's) where Miller Lite's ads were somehow dominating the screen time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 3:19 PM, edjb93 said:

I've been thinking about a Bulls concept uniform set (and possibly a more refined and more modern logo) lately, and one thing that I'm not sure about is the color of the front wordmark and the numbers on the red icon uniform. The black wordmark and numbers have been that way ever since the introduction of the cursive "Chicago" script in 1973. However, when the franchise started, the red uniform featured white numbers. Except for some teams, I'm in favor of readability over style when it comes to the numbers.

With all that being said, are you in favor of black numbers or white numbers on the icon uniform?

Hi, all! I'm gonna bump this reply so that I can follow this thing up. I'm currently designing my Chicago Bulls concept logos and uniforms, only the city edition is not yet made, thus, you can definitely expect new logos for the Bulls. (SPOILER ALERT: The logos will be primarily based from the logos of their G-League team)

The jersey scripts are already set, but I'm still undecided if I'm gonna go with white or black letters and numbers on the red icon uniform. I leave this decision to you, guys. Do you prefer white or black letters and numbers? Let me know in your comments below.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:41 AM, edjb93 said:

Hi, all! I'm gonna bump this reply so that I can follow this thing up. I'm currently designing my Chicago Bulls concept logos and uniforms, only the city edition is not yet made, thus, you can definitely expect new logos for the Bulls. (SPOILER ALERT: The logos will be primarily based from the logos of their G-League team)

The jersey scripts are already set, but I'm still undecided if I'm gonna go with white or black letters and numbers on the red icon uniform. I leave this decision to you, guys. Do you prefer white or black letters and numbers? Let me know in your comments below.

Black with a white border has been the norm for so long it might be a bit weird to see it reversed, but the Blackhawks make it work. So either should do.

With the release of the Atlanta Hawks' uniforms for 2020-21 and beyond (glad that the team axed volt in favor of legacy yellow), I'm not gonna go with the flow by going for the Jordan brand on all statement (and possibly) city uniforms. I'm still sticking with Nike for all 4 uniform editions per team, with some teams going for Jordan brand.

I have already made up my mind on the Bulls' icon letters and numbers' coloring. The logos are already finished, and even the association and statement jerseys are done. What about the city edition? Logos, numbers, and letters are the only ones missing. Stay tuned!

CHICAGO BULLS

Among all the logos currently used by the teams, the Bulls' logo is the most classical of 'em all, having been used since day one. While I don't think the franchise will change their logo at some point, it might be good to consider a logo refresh to catch up with the modern times. The logo of their G-League team is a great example, and just like what the Hawks did in real life, I'm gonna do the same, but with some modifications to fit the traditional nature of the Bulls' logo.

Of course, I'm aware that there are other concept logos based from the Windy City Bulls, but I did my best to somehow stand out from the rest. First off, I modified the bull's forehead and eyebrow sections, then made this part more 3D, to differentiate it from the actual WCB logo. On the bottom part, I modernized the nose and the mouth (yes, even the curved line below the eyebrows) from the original. I intended to use a font that will easily translate to the jersey, thus, the block font. But when I'm about to insert the wordmark on top of the bull's head, there was an astounding amount of whitespace between the two elements. Honestly, I was thinking hard on how to put a remedy, and eventually, I resorted to the four stars from the city flag to fill the gap. After all, the team has been incorporating the city flag in some capacity, since the Nike takeover.

One of my alternate logos is just basically the bull's side view, again taken from WCB. However, instead of the map of Illinois, I went for an orange basketball. I also tried a silver one, but the orange version is somehow traditional, given that the Chicago Packers had this logo and the longtime former court at the United Center had a basketball behind the bull's head. All logos have longer horns, by the way, along with the "blood stain" on the tip of each horn.

hNg2OiZ.png

I won't say anything too much for the association and icon uniforms, except that the front wordmark is slightly modified (you can tell the difference by looking at the 'S'), and the modified bull's head logo is stitched not only on the traditional locations on the shorts, but also on top of the NOB, like the way it was before the NBA logo position switcheroo. I initially planned for white numbers and letters on the icon uniforms, since I always favor legibility over design, but since the replies I got said otherwise, I resorted to what has been working to the fans since the early 70's: black numbers and letters.

My version of the statement uniforms is a mashup of the current and previous versions, plus adding some little touches from the original pinstriped black uniforms. For the diamond on the shorts, I took the design from the grey uniforms and simplified it, because the four stars on each diamond won't fit on the template. Finally, the city uniforms take shape from the city flag, but I went for a vertical route, since the team already made a horizontal version, and white becomes the base color once again, like the way it was from the team's first city uniform.

By the way, you may have noticed the Jumpman logo in place of the Nike logo. I won't say the exact number of teams to have the Jordan brand on the uniforms, but like I mentioned before, all uniform editions for each team will have the same manufacturer logo. I'm not gonna do what the league will do next season, where all statement uniforms will have the Jumpman instead of the Swoosh.

whnyXUz.png

I3Rzc2m.png

rVqUAur.png

xdiCHuV.png

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

The lone NBA team in the Pacific Northwest (so far) has a logo that's considered to be one of the easily recognizable logos in all of sports. Recently, I imagined the Trail Blazers logo having curved (stylized) ends. This was a random idea, so I went on to put it in reality. Plus, the team has been using United Sans Condensed on the small script below the city name on the primary logo, as well as on the website and overall graphics. For this concept, there are two versions of the pinwheel, one without outline (primary) and another with outline (secondary). From afar, you may not see the changes, since the pinwheels were hugely inspired by the team's logo from the 90's. I also included the retro diagonal 'Blazers' script as another alternate logo, and this will appear on one of the jersey editions.

nyLXMNz.png

The sash has been synonymous to the team since the 70's, and I had no plans to erase its legacy on the association and icon uniforms. I went back to a rounded collar route for the association, icon, and city editions, to capture the retro feeling. Both the front wordmark and numbers gain outlines, to somehow fix the unbalance. And the most obvious change of all, I removed all applications of silver (except the city uniforms).

While I'm fond of the sash, I also liked their original, sleeveless Rip City uniforms, because it took the sash to a whole new level, even if it's on the side panels. This was my inspiration for the statement uniforms. I was playing around two ideas regarding which orientation of the retro script should be placed on the front: one that's horizontal and another that's diagonal. I ended up going with the diagonal one, since statement uniforms tend to be wacky and imaginative sometimes. This is the only uniform that features a v-neck collar, taken from the aforementioned Rip City duds.

As for my renditions of the (Rip) city uniforms, I went to a fauxback route, taking their championship era uniforms as the base, putting the side panel design on both sides, making the letters and numbers black outlined in red instead of vice-versa, going for 'Rip City' instead of 'Blazers', and using silver as the base color of the uniform, because, why not?

XQsywrV.png

wVEHt5j.png

bXRb4Lx.png

Tt2qjNg.png

I'm a bit disappointed the lowercase isn't carried throughout, I know they haven't used it on the primary in decades but it always looked so much better. The removal of silver works but then the silver alt feels out of place. Honestly I like how they use it now, I don't think removing it is necessary. I'd also drop the sash a hair, similar to how they have it now. I think swapping the word marks on the silver alt and the red one, making the red a almost permanent throwback would be cool, but either way both look okay. Finally the logo is an upgrade, both versions of the pinwheel look good. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Not saying the Bulls should change their jersey font, but I would like to see what the jerseys look like with your font.  Arched or not, either way.  Most Bulls concepts keep the status quo with the association and icon sets that I would like to see what a different font might look like. Great series btw - been a fun follow.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:14 PM, SEANL said:

Not saying the Bulls should change their jersey font, but I would like to see what the jerseys look like with your font.  Arched or not, either way.  Most Bulls concepts keep the status quo with the association and icon sets that I would like to see what a different font might look like. Great series btw - been a fun follow.

What I actually used on my original Bulls concept uniforms is just essentially a narrower version of the font in the primary logo. But here are the concept unis with the font from the logo. I still made them arched, but the percentage was significantly reduced. Imagine the arch style of the wordmark on Baylor's basketball uniforms during the Adidas era.

U1jVgHm.png

yDKQrxm.png

t6ak2RI.png

Hi, everything! The next team that I'm gonna post is the Oklahoma City Thunder. I already made the logos and the accompanying uniform designs (except for the city uniform), and the color palette that I'm gonna use will be a double-blue (royal and navy) and triple-grey (found on the team's city uniform in 2017-18) scheme. Stay tuned for my next concepts, and stay safe!

That's really very impressive. Can't wait for OKC Concept. I would love to see all of these teams (30 NBA). By the way, about Clippers, i don't think that Red of Clippers would be cool, isn't better instead of Red, would be black colour, like this?: Clippers Alternative Jersey Black (Chris Paul)

I have a suggestion about Atlanta Hawks: I prefer the classic jersey from 80's. You could update the jersey from 80's and turning it a "Classic Edition" or so Statement Edition. Or maybe even a Icon, Association? 

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

For years, the Thunder has suffered at having one of the worst logos, if not the worst, in the league. But for me, it's not that the logo is bad, it's probably too generic, in spite of the current trend of either going retro or taking the minimalist route. When the team unveiled its moniker way back, I was expecting that there would be lightning bolts in the possible logos, but I found none. Among all the concept logos back then, Ian Bakar's logo set was better (I'm aware that there's a version featuring Thor, but I liked the thunderball better), and that particular concept became my inspiration for my concept.

I capitalized on injecting bolts and storm clouds onto the set, to emphasize the nickname. One holdover from the current logo is the chevron/shield, which I put onto the primary logo and its partial version. I also made two versions of the state map logo: one with the Oklahoma City skyline (notice the Devon Energy Center at the logo's right corner) and another with a stylized OKC wordmark (it has a standalone version). The reason why I picked a double-blue-triple-grey color scheme is because it's what I frequently envisioned.

cBVnMRC.png

For the uniforms, I utilized the bolts on the side panels, like what the Warriors did in the late 90's. In fact, you could probably say that the association and icon uniforms are basically the late 90's Warriors in double-blue-triple-grey scheme. The statement uniform also features bolts, but I added the "sunset" lines as the primary side panel element, as a tribute to their previous and current statement uniforms.

I thought hard on what to conceptualize for the city uniform. Eventually, I settled on a Bricktown-inspired concept. The colors might remind you of the 2000's era Houston Astros, as brick red is the base color of the uniform, with touches of brick pattern. This uniform might also be considered an indirect tribute to the Chesapeake Energy Arena's brick exterior.

8lXnUDU.png

RAcp8vb.png

ht6wweq.png

w7cFx5L.png

Archived