NBA Uniform/Logo Concepts - The End

edjb93

MIAMI HEAT

The flaming ball logo is timeless. I would say that the Heat should never completely change their primary logo. While the current logo is synonymous with the championships won, I thought that the franchise's first logo was more visually pleasing, especially with the black hoop and the gradient which resembles a flaming comet/asteroid. In my concept, I essentially combined the previous and the current logos. The hoop is black on white and red backgrounds, and white on black, like what it was until 1999. I retained the current "MH" monogram, but recolored it.

4HgHVpW.png

Despite having a huge amount of red, black has been the primary primary color of the Heat (that's not a typo error). I can just imagine the association and icon uniforms using black instead of red as the dominant color of its side panels. While the team did just that with their legacy uniform in 2015-16, I thought that a similar concept could be done as a regular. Plus, a yellow-red-black-red-yellow striping looks intimidating to me. I added an additional yellow outline to the wordmark and the numbers on the association, icon, and statement uniforms, to add a fair amount of it, since the current uniforms use this color only on side panels.

The vice colors are a great marketing strategy. While I won't be surprised if the Heat could lean on it full-time, I'm not in favor of that. I'd rather limit the vice colors to either the statement or city uniforms. My city uniform concept keeps with this awesome color palette, but I added a little twist. The side panels follow the same shape as with the regular uniforms, while the uniform itself contains something dreaded among purists: gradient colors. The gradient I used here is not as intense as the Atlanta Hawks' past road uniform, but this adds more flavor to what is already considered as a magnificent uniform. I bet that the dark purple won't be too obvious from afar. By the way, the black-dark purple gradient signifies the night sky surrounding the bright lights of Miami. 

j2UecJo.png

IeuAOQH.png

xL1rgob.png

UYZDGek.png

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think the bold black side panels on the home look really sharp! What would it look like if you reversed the gold and red? Perhaps thin gold line along then thick black middle and then slightly thicker red against the white uniform?

Love the city edition - I think it's a nice addition to the current city series and the gradient is subtle but noticeable.

I think I'd try to put the number offset and tighter to the wordmark and maybe see how an asymmetrical design works? (so just have side panel running down the right side of the uniform)

Nice work!

On 5/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, Hoopskid said:

I actually think the bold black side panels on the home look really sharp! What would it look like if you reversed the gold and red? Perhaps thin gold line along then thick black middle and then slightly thicker red against the white uniform?

Love the city edition - I think it's a nice addition to the current city series and the gradient is subtle but noticeable.

I think I'd try to put the number offset and tighter to the wordmark and maybe see how an asymmetrical design works? (so just have side panel running down the right side of the uniform)

s3n6U5p.png

LuBaXsV.png

zytwmbS.png

FJFs5yn.png

For this one, I would like to have your say on what should I use. I created a Houston Rockets concept logo years ago, and option B was the initial outcome, but also during that time, I changed the rotation of the logo to resemble the franchise's logo in San Diego, and thus, option A was born. Now that I'm going to post my concept logo and uniforms for the Rockets, I'm torn between these two options:

QYbDIAX.png

Which option do you think is better? Feel free to comment down your answers, and I'll pick the winner after collecting your replies. Vote now!

I prefer option A.

How would the basketball look if you extended the line behind the rocket? I know it may clutter the design but now it's drawing a lot of attention because that's not how a modern basketball looks to me.

I also think the Rocket tip should stick out more - I'm imaging that small notch getting lost in smaller / stitch applications.

Perhaps adding black or yellow or another color may make it pop some more as it has a very Hawks vibe right now.

I do really like this direction for the Rockets, looking forward to the uniforms! 

I think since Houston is the command center, and not the launch site for nasa, option a is better as it more resembles an orbiting rocket, which is more Houston territory, while option b more resembles a launch, which better suites a Central Florida/Space Coast team. With all that being said, either would be major improvements over the current rockets branding.

HOUSTON ROCKETS

Based from the replies I received, I chose option A. Like I mentioned in the poll, this option is based from the franchise's San Diego era logo. However, I made several tweaks to the logo, such as the extension of the lines toward the center of the rocket and the font used in general. Aside from this, as well as the roundel-less logo, I also added an H-rocket logo, inspired by the Houston Comets' H-ball logo and even from other concepts such as the NBA Project 32 by @SFGiants58.

T84egNr.png

On to the uniforms! To be honest, I disliked Nike's rendition of the red-and-silver era uniforms. Those uniforms kinda like cheap knock-offs of the originals. I kinda dislike their current duds as well, not because of the inclusion of black, but because of the sleeve trims being different from the collar and the overall design being too generic. My association and icon uniform concepts should've fixed Nike's errors.

The statement jersey that I made was based from their sleeved gray jerseys, in which the checkered pattern was taken from the Gemini Titan. Instead of an arched or straight script, I warped the statement jersey script a la championship-era jerseys.

Finally, we go to the city uniforms. It's basically a mashup of the uniforms from the franchise's inaugural season in Houston and the old red-and-gold alternate uniforms. Plus, since city uniforms tend to utilize city nicknames, I inserted a "Clutch City" script in block letters. I tried "H-Town", but "Clutch City" looked better.

OLfJVek.png

SWTREl7.png

HagJi5T.png

dQoqpF1.png

Before I go on with the next team, I would like to thank y'all for the appreciation and suggestions you gave to me. We're trying our best to live our normal lives in the toughest times like these. I have already created logo concepts for the Cavs and the Mavs, but I'm not yet decided if I'll give 'em updates/tweaks (whether on the logos, uniforms, or both) or nah.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

While I'm still planning for some logo updates, as well as new logos for a few teams, I'm tackling NBA's silver-and-black team this time. I'm not a fan of their current primary logo, since it looks incomplete without an additional element on it. However, I don't wanna go overboard with fiesta colors, although I'm a fan of it. Therefore, I picked the Spurs' championship era logo as the primary once again. I'm not gonna post that as a new logo, since I'm just recycling a mark of excellence.

The association and icon uniforms that I made only have slight tweaks compared to what they're wearing now. The side panels now contain a small gap between the thick and thin stripes, to somehow blend with the rest of the striping, which also contains gaps. I also recycled the striping on the beltline, and I included the SA-ball logo on the center of the front beltline. As for the script logo and the numbers, I didn't include the gaps, since I liked how the numbers looked like during the fiesta era.

I retained the overall statement uniform design, but I don't prefer its unconventional approach at the front. It's been a while since the city name was front and center, thus I brought it back, albeit in a modern font. I initially made the font western-looking (e.g. Playbill), but I had second thoughts to it since it might not complement with the rest of the design.

Though I mentioned earlier that I don't wanna go overboard with fiesta colors, I made an exemption when it comes to the city uniforms. The side panels were taken from the Aztec design on this warm-up jacket, while the script was taken from this warm-up jacket.

DcqOLoI.png

xuLpwo7.png

Cboeynx.png

veXVszx.png

On 5/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, edjb93 said:

OLfJVek.png

SWTREl7.png

Thank you for showing Nike how they should have redesigned the Rockets' 2017-19 uniforms. Great work on everything on this thread so far! =D 

My next team will be the Atlanta Hawks. I have already decided on the overall design for the association, icon, and statement uniforms. While the colors for the association and icon duds are already final, the colors for the icon uniforms aren't. I can't decide which should I choose. And so, I would like to have your participation once again. Here are the options:

RVPl7vi.png

Options A and C will have a black-white-gold trim on the jerseys, while option B will have white-gold-black. Based from these images, I changed the shade of yellow from volt to gold.

Comment down your choices, and I'll collect your answers. Voting starts now!

Archived