NBA Uniform/Logo Concepts - The End

edjb93

On 12/11/2020 at 11:05 PM, edjb93 said:

The time has come.

Since I'll be posting my Seattle SuperSonics concept after this, I have finally unveiled the conference realignment. Here are some points:

• Each conference reverts from three to two divisions each:
    • Eastern Conference: The Southeast Division has been removed (its current teams are distributed to the remaining two divisions), while the Atlantic and Central Divisions remain.
    • Western Conference: The Midwest Division returns (comprising of majority of teams from the Northwest and Southwest Divisions), while the Pacific Division is still here to stay.
  • Distribution of teams per division:
    • Atlantic: Five teams from the real-life version remain, three teams from the Southwest Division (Miami, Orlando, and Washington) return.
    • Central: Current lineup remains intact, Atlanta and Charlotte are back, Memphis joins the Eastern Conference and will be placed in this division due to geographic location (has closest proximity to both Atlanta and Charlotte).
    • Midwest: Four remaining teams from the Southwest Division and four geographically-innermost teams from the Northwest Division (basically all teams except Portland) comprise this division.
    • Pacific: The all-California team lineup and Phoenix remain, Portland returns, Seattle is also brought back via expansion.

Please proceed to the very first page to see the realignment.

Based from the suggestion by @sportsfan7, I have swapped Minnesota and Memphis. Therefore, Memphis will remain in the Western Conference, joining the Midwest Division, while Minnesota will transfer to the Eastern Conference, finally grouping with teams from Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio in the Central Division (similar to the current groupings in the NFL's NFC Central and MLB's AL Central).

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DENVER NUGGETS

The Nuggets' current look is great, especially the colors. However, I do miss the color scheme with the light blue on it, which is a unique palette in the NBA. I thought that this embodies Denver so well, the team should've stuck with it. And so, I brought this one-of-a-kind color scheme for my concept, but the logos will remain the same as the current ones.

The association and icon uniforms' design is basically the one before the 2018 redesign, and, rightfully so, they're reset to the proper coloring, which means light blue is the primary dark color, not navy blue, to avoid clashing with Indiana Pacers' colors. While the overall look resembles those from the later years of the light blue era, the inner striping on the side panels gets thicker and the shorts' side panels receive a different ending. The front script and the numbers follow suit with the current branding, but recolored.

The statement uniform, meanwhile, features the mountain skyline, but I changed the positioning of all the design elements in the front so that the skyline is at the top, followed by the wordmark and the numbers, similar to the positioning in the 2017-18 statement uniform. This means that the striping on the front doesn't extend to the back. This striping is also filled with gaps, as an homage to the rainbow skyline series of city uniforms.

On the city uniform, things get more interesting. This edition is loosely based from the city flag, with all the zigzags and triangles involved. While the colors aren't exactly the ones from the flag, it should still fit with the theme. I really would like to put back the logo from the 2017-18 city uniform on the front, so here it is.

irI9N4U.png

d2JK2DS.png

XXelRXz.png

DjqcBEI.png

I've always loved the powder look for Denver more than the primary colors look. My only feedback would be to get rid of the yellow lines in the skyline jersey. The rainbow sets never looked that great with them, I think filling it in would look much better. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

The title text color says it all. Turquoise (thanks to @TruColor for giving us the correct name), black, and red are back, at least for this concept. And so is the angrier grizzly bear. I feel that this is much better compared to the bear head, even if most of the team's success came at the Beale Street blue era.

As for the first three uniform editions, I took inspiration from the team's previous uniforms, most notably the original Beale Street blue uniform (for the association and icon uniforms) and the turquoise road uniform (for statement). I specifically chose the light blue uniforms as a base for the first two editions since it really fits the identity. Just in case you think that you have seen the number font before, you're definitely right, because I went with the Minnesota Vikings font (without the extra notches).

My statement uniform will bring some nostalgic feels, especially to the fans up north in Vancouver, even if the jersey says Memphis front and center. The current Beale Street blue uniform brings that nostalgia somehow, but I want something that goes all out in bringing back a wacky look from the 90's while still fitting the current trend. Unlike the originals, both ends of the shorts receive a trim, but that bear is still the star of the show.

There was a long pause between the first three and the city uniform conceptualization. I thought of several ideas, and one of which pays tribute to the Grizzlies' former home, which became a Bass Pro Shops "theme park". I imagined how it would look like, and it looked weird. Just imagine the Colorado Avalanche's 2020 Stadium Series jersey translated into a basketball uniform. Another idea was to have an Elvis Presley tribute, but that's too detailed, given his performance attires in his later years. And since the team already had two uniforms paying tribute to MLK, I settled on the sights and sounds of Beale Street, which explains the neon signage inspirations. I picked Red, navy blue, and Beale Street blue as an homage to the city's baseball team, Memphis Redbirds.

ALlINEe.png

3pg8bcR.png

qgH4uHd.png

8QqpLPZ.png

I’m a fan, but I’d love to see black swapped with brown, which is a color they’ve used before and a more unique color in the nba. I also think it’s a bit hard to read the script on the white uniform, but I’m not sure how to fix that.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

7 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I’m a fan, but I’d love to see black swapped with brown, which is a color they’ve used before and a more unique color in the nba. I also think it’s a bit hard to read the script on the white uniform, but I’m not sure how to fix that.

agree

Back in college, I toyed with a Grizzlies concept using Hershey Bears' colors, which is basically a color palette associated with chocolate or coffee. But I'm sure that's more polarizing than the current color scheme.

Thanks for your honest opinion on this, I might consider a slight tweak on my Grizzlies concept.

While the front script can be fixed by changing the colors, I'm not gonna change black into brown. I've experimented with two shades of dark brown, but I think black is much better. Here are the updated association and icon uniforms, where everything else remains intact except for the recolored front script:

hp51K0E.png

9ouLgIR.png

• 2 weeks later...

TORONTO RAPTORS

It's been a while since my last post, but yeah. This is for everyone who yearns for purple to return to the team full-time. While the current logo brought a championship, I thought that the previous logo set had more character. Nevertheless, with the current trend of flat design and simplification, I'm not going to bring back the Raptor and call it a day. Thus, my logo for the Raptors is a combination of the current logo and the team's former longtime paw print logo. Did I say I'm not bringing back the Raptor? As a primary logo, it won't be back, but as an alternate, it is back in the form of the Raptor chomping on a ball.

ea42ZbV.png

When the current chevron uniforms were unveiled, I instantly disliked 'em. I feel like the overall design is incomplete (no sleeve and collar trim) and out-of-this-world in a wrong way. I much prefer that the chevron should stay on the sides, and that's exactly what I did on the association and icon uniforms. Of course, all chevrons point north, because of the team's motto "We The North". For all uniforms, I went with a block font that's similar to the one used for the wordmarks, since the current font doesn't jive well in my opinion. 

Like what was worn before, the primary alternate (statement) has no touch of purple whatsoever, to symbolize that this is the only remaining NBA team from Canada. The jagged lines stay on the sides, and a sublimated chevron pattern dominates the entire uniform.

The black-and-gold motif remains on the city uniform, but I brought up a sublimated pattern taken from the flag of Toronto. While I placed the pattern on the front of the jersey, I placed it on the back of the shorts though, to avoid an unintentional design flaw, if you know what I mean. Since the city nickname "T-Dot" had been represented by the sides on the team's championship-winning shorts, I thought that it can also be represented front (literally) and center, although for some, it might be misread as "T-Dot-Dot".

Ga4Vife.png

ZqvRL9e.png

dO16SzZ.png

58B6TdW.png

On 2/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, Ukyo said:

Top!

The purple reminds me of Vince Carter's Era. 

And if this is black (instead of red), what would look?

I don't know what you're referring to "black instead of red", but I assume that it's on the icon uniform. I initially went for black-as-secondary-color motif, but it might be similar to my future Kings concept, so I went with red. Anyway, here 'ya go:

6Ls1OtR.png

Also, for good measure, I have a black version of the statement uniform:

eCV9JeP.png

On 2/6/2021 at 12:09 AM, Ukyo said:

I forgot to ask, you created the template?

If is your, how much would cost to buy it? I want to make some concepts of WNBA and would love to have a template that is very cool!

No need for monetary amount, it's free. I also have other templates on the Paint Users' Paradise in the CCSLC forum, you can check those out.

14 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I don't know what you're referring to "black instead of red", but I assume that it's on the icon uniform. I initially went for black-as-secondary-color motif, but it might be similar to my future Kings concept, so I went with red. Anyway, here 'ya go:

6Ls1OtR.png

Also, for good measure, I have a black version of the statement uniform:

eCV9JeP.png

No need for monetary amount, it's free. I also have other templates on the Paint Users' Paradise in the CCSLC forum, you can check those out.

Yes, that's what i was saying, really you managed well! Good job! 

SACRAMENTO KINGS

To be honest, when it comes to uniforms, the Kings were hard to conceptualize. For most of the team's history, they wore generic-looking uniforms. But, given it being one of the inaugural NBA teams along with the likes of the Celtics and Lakers, it's okay to go with a "traditional" design.

The association, icon, and statement uniforms all follow the same design, taking cues from the current uniforms and the first purple era uniforms. I also switched the front wordmarks of the icon and statement editions, plus, the latter retains the "S" background pattern from the current version. I brought back the black as a primary uniform color, since purple and granite alone looks incomplete to me.

Like the current city uniform, my take on it is a mix-and-mash of ideas. First, why blue and gold? Blue symbolizes the Kings' past color scheme before purple came in, and gold symbolizes the Tower Bridge. These colors are also an indirect shoutout to the team's time in Kansas City, taken from that city's baseball team, the Royals. Second, the front script is cursive with a tail, just the way it was before the purple era, and, yes, "Sactown" is still my chosen moniker. Third, I chose white as the primary background so that they can wear it at home. Finally, the fading checkered pattern on one side, aside from the obvious homage, is a tribute to Sacramento being California's "most hipster city" and America's "most diverse city".

53ZcKLJ.png

HMmEj5d.png

7FEcwwU.png

cGVF59j.png

I just found this thread and I gotta say, you've got some really solid concepts on here!

Although I know it wasn't your idea for the Thunder at first, but I'd like to echo everyone else's sentiments by saying that your blue/orange Thunder concept is a very excellent design. The shades of blue that you used complement the orange very well, and I love how it turned out!

I also really like your Orange County jersey for the Magic and the Miller-inspired Bucks jersey, and I love the shades of color you used for the Suns!

Great job on these, and I look forward to seeing what's next! :)

I don't comment here a lot, but...

For OKC, what if you turn the lightning (bottom of the T) around and somehow work it into the shape of the crest? Something about the lightning going the opposite way of the the crest looks off to me. Not saying the lightning going off to the left couldn't be used in other logo or design elements, it's pretty common for sports teams to use design elements that are mirrored from the primary logo.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

When I think about the Wizards, I think about the blue, gold/copper, and black. I saved that for the city uniform, but most people associate the team with its former moniker, the Bullets, as well as the red, white, and blue striped uniforms in their full glory. I tried to recapture that glory while still thinking of modernization (in other words, cleaning and simplifying things).

The association and icon uniforms feature a very obvious homage to the aforementioned striped jerseys. When I thought of the icon edition, I went against red in favor of navy blue, although its counterparts from other sports use red or a shade of it (burgundy from WFT), since before the oversimplification of the Bullets' uniforms in the late 1980's, the team wore blue as the dark uniform. It's also worth noting that the two stripes are also applied on the shorts, inspired by @AAO's concept back then. For these two uniforms, the DC flag is predominantly represented through the two red stripes on the jersey and the shorts, and the three stars on each jersey side panel.

The statement jersey is pretty straightforward. It's just a red version of the stars-and-stripes uniforms from 2016-172019-20, and 2020-21 seasons. This time, I put the team's The District of Columbia script front and center, instead of just the 'dc'.

Going back to my first paragraph, I brought back the 90's color scheme onto my city uniform, with black being the base color, taking cues from the black jersey of the Capitals. The sides feature the shape of the Washington Monument, somewhat similar to the ones from 2017-18 and 2018-19, as well as the earned uniform from 2018-19. The front wordmark was also taken from the Caps, decorated with three stars, while the garter buckle features a different 'DC' logo, having the same treatment as the front wordmark. I'm sure this city uniform will generate mixed reviews, so let me know your thoughts on this! 😉

4nEm0qT.png

YRo5MHo.png

46rsp7m.png

NDzsqu6.png

Archived