NBA Uniform/Logo Concepts - The End

edjb93

Hey what's up, everyone! For the past years, I've been known for football concepts, but my first love has always been basketball. I've been doing NBA uniform mockups since elementary. My love for sports logos started with NBA, and I frequently browse for NBA logos on the mothership.

And now, after a few years of conceptualizing (I created some new logos two years ago), I now unveil my NBA uniform (for some teams, logos) concepts! Though the teams below are listed by division, I'm unveiling the uniforms randomly.

The main component for all uniforms is that the NBA logo on the jerseys is now brought back to the front right side, eliminating the use of sponsor patches. However, the Nike logo is still located in its current position. And for uniformity, I eliminated the championship tag on the back of the jerseys.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic: Boston | Brooklyn | Miami (v.2) | New York | Orlando | Philadelphia (Statement v.2) | Toronto (v.2) | Washington

Central: Atlanta (v.2) | Charlotte | Chicago (v.2) | Cleveland | Detroit | Indiana (City v.2) | Milwaukee | Minnesota

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest: Dallas (v.2) | DenverHouston | Memphis (v.2) | New OrleansOklahoma City (v.2) | San Antonio | Utah

Pacific: Golden State | LA Clippers | LA Lakers | Phoenix | Portland (v.2) | Sacramento | Seattle

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

This was actually the first team that I conceptualized. I tweaked the jersey trim on the association and icon uniforms to just only two colors instead of the current three. I also implemented the same pattern to the shorts, where the garter is no longer in single color and the side panels becoming somewhat similar to the Kobe Bryant era uniforms. And yeah, the pattern on the icon uniform is purple-white-purple instead of vice-versa.

Fixing a current mistake, the statement uniform now follows the same overall design as the first two, just the way it should be. I feel that white numbers are better than gold numbers on the purple background.

For the city uniform, I initially thought of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Both the jersey and the shorts feature the tiles as the side panel, where on each side, there are 8 alternating stars (only purple element of the entire uniform) representing the entire franchise's 16 world championships. The cursive "Los Angeles" wordmark makes its return on the regular rotation, something that hasn't been done since the last season of the double blue color scheme.

sNB8oDE.png

6nxx8wK.png

yxlvIEK.png

iqveaFf.png

I feel like the “Lakers on the jersey is too small. Also, maybe on the stars of the city jersey , you can put a retired number on there.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Yeah, I think you're right about your observation on the association/icon/statement front wordmark size, but, come to think of it, the Lakers had outrageously huge numbers during the Showtime era.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have also considered putting the retired numbers (15 when LA and MPLS numbers are combined) and the microphone tribute on the stars, but they're probably too small for the job, thus they won't be that obvious. But anyway, thanks for your comment! Greatly appreciated.

BOSTON CELTICS

The 17-time NBA champions have a very timeless, classic look, in which no major change should be made. I did just that on the association and icon uniforms, save for the clover at the back of the jersey due to the NBA logo being placed at the front once again. I brought back "Celtics" on the icon uniform, since I'm not that accustomed to the "Boston" script on the green jersey. Plus, the "Celtics" script has been used for a long time, so why change it?

I've seen a few concepts where off-white (cream) is used as the base color of the jersey. And I thought that it would suit better than black as a primary alternate uniform color. My rendition of the Celtics' statement uniform is basically their 2018-19 city jersey in off-white. I made the gold trim a bit darker, to distinguish this from Seattle SuperSonics, and I changed the main shorts logo as well.

On to the city uniform, I went a bit gimmicky with the celtic theme on the side panels, but mixed it with an even more traditional flavor in the selection of the font for the wordmark and the numbers, where the "Celtics" script was taken from the Bill Russell era uniforms. Originally, the wordmark and the numbers should have been white with gold trim, but it didn't turn out great, thus, I reversed the color distribution (gold with white trim).

oDCRFbi.png

Ku2gItp.png

mkux7ys.png

cq7bEju.png

1 hour ago, edjb93 said:

BOSTON CELTICS

The 17-time NBA champions have a very timeless, classic look, in which no major change should be made. I did just that on the association and icon uniforms, save for the clover at the back of the jersey due to the NBA logo being placed at the front once again. I brought back "Celtics" on the icon uniform, since I'm not that accustomed to the "Boston" script on the green jersey. Plus, the "Celtics" script has been used for a long time, so why change it?

I've seen a few concepts where off-white (cream) is used as the base color of the jersey. And I thought that it would suit better than black as a primary alternate uniform color. My rendition of the Celtics' statement uniform is basically their 2018-19 city jersey in off-white. I made the gold trim a bit darker, to distinguish this from Seattle SuperSonics, and I changed the main shorts logo as well.

On to the city uniform, I went a bit gimmicky with the celtic theme on the side panels, but mixed it with an even more traditional flavor in the selection of the font for the wordmark and the numbers, where the "Celtics" script was taken from the Bill Russell era uniforms. Originally, the wordmark and the numbers should have been white with gold trim, but it didn't turn out great, thus, I reversed the color distribution (gold with white trim).

oDCRFbi.png

Ku2gItp.png

mkux7ys.png

cq7bEju.png

I really dig the city uniform. I've never been a huge fan of the Celtics different green and gold alternates throughout the years, especially the font on this version. Although you add in the non-traditional Celtic knotwork on the side panels, it's subtle enough that it works well with the overall template. And the throwback jersey font on the front is a nice touchin making that set feel timeless.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

On to my first uniform concept with new logos. Personally, I'm a fan of the Warriors' identity from 1997-98 to 2009-10. Though it might be associated with their struggling seasons, save for the astonishing "We Believe" turnaround, I thought that the Dubs have one of the best modern logo sets in NBA, especially with that script that might be mistaken with the Washington Wizards' jersey script. But I can understand why Dub Nation prefers the current team identity, as well as the ones before 1997-98. Because of that, I thought of a mashup of two eras of Warriors basketball in my logo concepts.

First off, I used their Chase Center era logo as the base. When I made the primary logo several years ago, I was using their dynasty era logo. How fast times have changed, indeed. As for the wordmark, I patterned it from the jersey script used from 2002-03 to 2009-10, because it's much clean-looking than the one with the lightning bolt. The first two alternate logos are self-explanatory. On the third alternate logo, the "W" is placed at the same area where the Copperplate "W" or the star is placed.

iyPwm7d.png

On to the jerseys! The association and icon uniforms are tweaked versions of the current uniforms, with the frame of the Bay Bridge's eastern span tower becoming the new side panel design. The "We Believe" era jersey script returns, as well as the number font.

The statement uniform is a modified version of the "We Believe" uniforms, but with added throwback feels due to the jersey logo on the front, inspired by "The City". I chose "The Bay" so that the Dubs don't only represent San Francisco or Oakland but the entire Bay Area.

I went for a fauxback route on the city uniforms, harkening back to the 70's. "Golden State" hasn't been used since 1975-76, and for my concept, it's back, but instead of just going with a straight-on return, I thought that the word "the" has been used frequently by the team, so I slapped it with the geographical name to align with the other monikers used throughout the history: "The City", "The Town", "The Bay", and now, "The Golden State". Western theme dominates the uniform, and it even features the vertical wordmark on the shorts' sides. Instead of the regular blue, I went with navy blue, for an even better contrast with gold and white, and I chose white as the base, so that they can wear it as an alternate home jersey.

hbPKQF3.png

olD3xmC.png

9lW6ARC.png

6fX32T0.png

The Warriors are amazing! Love the logos and wordmarks! It would be great to see Golden State on the icon, just to compare. The sides are definitely one of the most inventine I’ve seen thus far with the Warriors.
I would maybe add Warriors or remove «the» from the City Edition, just a thought. 

Anyways, great concepts!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 5/16/2020 at 2:24 AM, UnclearInitial said:

These are all really good. The Hollywood Walk of Fame tile side panels was a very inspired choice

I deviated from the “Lore Series” that the Lakers implement on their city uniforms, so that it could have a bit of Los Angeles flavor, though the Clippers usually do that. Besides, the Lakers made Los Angeles home earlier than the Clippers.

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

I'm definitely in the majority for saying that the Clippers' current logo is one of the worst, if not THE WORST. If your team is nicknamed the Clippers, then at least a clipper ship or any nautical theme should be incorporated into the brand identity. Though I actually like the Laker-esque logo that the team had, I'm not that sold out on bringing it back since it's associated with the futility and a scandalous owner.

And so, I started with a clipper ship partially inspired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' ship logo, then I slapped the long-time cursive jersey script on it, since I thought that it is one of the underappreciated identities in NBA and it should be given a proper treatment by being front and center. During the initial stages of the design, there was no basketball on the primary logo, but I later added it because I thought the primary logo is incomplete without the ball behind. I also included a cursive interlocking "LA" on the logo set, and it comes in two versions: one with the ball and one without. Same goes with the clipper ship logo without the script.

GBgQrL7.png

The uniforms are inspired by the Lob City era uniforms. The sail shape on the sides was taken from one of the jibs in the clipper ship logo. For the numbers, I just recycled the font used from Lob City, but for the colors of such in the icon (red) and statement (blue) uniforms, I went with white for readability purposes.

Since many are fond of the San Diego era colors, I incorporated those into the city uniforms. As for the overall style, since I was talking about the nautical theme earlier, waves are the name of the game here. The sash on the front is inspired from the one found on the black-and-orange era Buffalo Braves uniforms. City uniform designs tend to be crazier than the other three editions, and so I went with the clipper-ship-on-a-basketball logo at the front, but balanced the overall design by virtue of a block number font. The front logo placement is intentional, so that it could jive with the sash design and the front number can have enough space. Like the previous light blue jerseys, maritime flags (spelled as L-A-C) are included on each side of the shorts.

NxqAVTz.png

UzNMUpZ.png

lrNFFUK.png

sqj5AXt.png

i really like your Warriors concept.  Nice blend of eras, there.  I like the idea of the Clippers concept and the elements you used, but I think put together, it's a bit too busy.  I look at the ship and the ball logo and there's just lines everywhere.  The ship by itself looks clean, and I understand the reason why you put the ball behind it for the primary.  I think it could use a little tweaking and could really get there.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, thaipod said:

i really like your Warriors concept.  Nice blend of eras, there.  I like the idea of the Clippers concept and the elements you used, but I think put together, it's a bit too busy.  I look at the ship and the ball logo and there's just lines everywhere.  The ship by itself looks clean, and I understand the reason why you put the ball behind it for the primary.  I think it could use a little tweaking and could really get there.

Looking at other clipper/ship teams in sports such as the Columbus Clippers, the sails on the logos aren't too busy. The logos lack additional lines representing the stitching, which contributed to their clean looks. With that, I updated my LA Clippers logo set (the LA monogram logos are retained), where the "stitching" is removed. It's also worth noting that the sails from the original San Diego era logo did not have additional details, and that contributed to my removing of the sail stitches.

eJ5PIaW.png

26 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Was just about to post that it was too busy, but you fixed it perfectly. I love the old script as well. Cursive is highly underutilized in the NBA (does anyone even use it on a regular basis anymore?)

With the exception of statement (e.g. Sixers) and city (e.g. Cavs, Heat, Bucks) uniforms, I can't recall any team using cursive scripts on a regular basis right now.

NEW YORK KNICKS

The current Knicks logos and jerseys seem to be perfect, in my opinion. But I had created a concept back then that adds a New York City flavor to the logo. The inspirations for my primary Knicks logo are the classic logo, the current logo, and the skyline from the NYK 2000 logo. I also created a skyline-less logo, and I retained their current roundball script logo. As much as I am a fan of the black-accented Knicks, I thought that local fans prefer the simpler blue-and-orange identity with silver accents.

4CZpb0P.png

The association and icon uniforms are a modern take on the classics. In respect to the unofficial rule of having the nickname on the white jersey and city name on the dark, I did just that, taking a page from their navy-and-maroon era. Instead of a classical serif font that the team has been using for decades, I used the same style found on the logos. Save for the roundball logo on the garter, there are no logos on the shorts, and standing in for them is a sublimated skyline from the primary logo, placed on each side.

The statement uniform is basically a recolored version of their later black-accented uniforms. Rather than using black, navy blue becomes the base of this uniform, paying tribute to their previous city uniforms and their fellow tenants, the New York Rangers, which wear navy as alternate or on special games.

Another tribute to the navy-and-maroon era, but put on an orange version of their city uniforms, the city uniform is a mashup of several classical Knicks uniforms. I tried going with blue letters and numbers outlined in white, but they're too hard to read from afar, thus I went with the reverse. Let's just hope they win in orange next time.

nZkgOab.png

0oFYf0j.png

WOKBBLm.png

ysSFP2N.png

BROOKLYN NETS

The Nets currently have the simplest logo set in NBA. From the usage of just black and white, to the B-ball logo, the team got it. What I'm not into is the font on the primary logo. That font should have been left on the roundel (spoiler alert: I did just that). I honestly prefer the final New Jersey era logo over what they have now, but that had too many colors. With that in mind, my concept logos for the Nets has the (IMO) perfect mix of simplicity and wholesomeness, without getting too overboard.

I hope you won't be disappointed in this, but the colors that I selected are from New York Yankees—navy and gray (silver). The font from the NJ logo returns, but this time, it's in 2D. As for the basketball logo, instead of just a B on a ball, I added the arch and vertical cables from the Brooklyn Bridge.

nCaX52s.png

Since many fans are drooling over the "stars" uniforms that Dr. J wore, I incorporated its side panels to the uniforms, but have different designs. The association and icon uniforms have diamond shapes, in tribute to the Jason Kidd era duds, while the statement uniform features the stars and the herringbone pattern. One of the first things that come to mind when we think Brooklyn is its baseball culture, and like what the team did from 2013-14 to 2016-17, I included a Brooklyn Dodgers-inspired uniform. However, I did not use the actual script from the Dodgers' uniforms, because that might not go well with MLB and the Dodgers, unless there is an agreement.

Aside from the aforementioned baseball culture, another thing that is widely remembered with Brooklyn is Coney Island, and when we think of Coney Island, one of the icons that ring a bell is the neighborhood's vintage roller coaster, the Coney Island Cyclone. The front script is taken from the sign located at the peak of the ride, complete with the "light bulbs". The side panels are taken from the ride's white frames and red handles. The sky blue represent either the skies surrounding Coney Island or the forgotten "mirror" uniforms from 1990-91.

4xaNom1.png

XF9bgFF.png

3FVvFm3.png

COBiNlP.png

Archived