NBA Uniform/Logo Concepts - The End

edjb93

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mvk said:

How are you gonna have the Suns without the Sun being Orange!

That thought came to me during the design stages, but I really love how the final outcome looked. Plus the streaking sun itself is a lighter shade of orange—more like yellow orange. Come to think of it, the predominantly dark palette on the icon and statement jerseys has a "galaxy" implication.

I already visualized how the icon jersey would look like if the primary accent color is orange instead of black, and I gotta say, it wasn't good. While it was good back then during the 70's and 80's, it probably won't be today. That alone made me decide to go full-90's-mode but retrofitted the theme to accommodate the modern times.

1 minute ago, edjb93 said:

That thought came to me during the design stages, but I really love how the final outcome looked. Plus the streaking sun itself is a lighter shade of orange—more like yellow orange. Come to think of it, the predominantly dark palette on the icon and statement jerseys has a "galaxy" implication.

I already visualized how the icon jersey would look like if the primary accent color is orange instead of black, and I gotta say, it wasn't good. While it was good back then during the 70's and 80's, it probably won't be today. That alone made me decide to go full-90's-mode but retrofitted the theme to accommodate the modern times.

can i request a supersonics and bulls ?

spacer.png

On 11/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, edjb93 said:

PHOENIX SUNS

If I'm gonna have a Phoenix Suns logo era bias, it's the one from the 90's, when we were introduced to the streaking sun. Its corresponding uniformsGlorious. But I know that as times change, so do design perspectives. And while the current logo goes through the simple route, the lack of purple might be its Achilles' heel. Meanwhile, the logo preceding it is just too much to handle. With all that being said, I picked the 2000's era logo, removed all the clutter⁠—shadows, grey container, 3D-esque design⁠—and made it similar to the 90's logo. I also retained the firebird logo, but this time, it's a mashup between the old and the new, with the font matching the one on the primary.

MDBjE7L.png

The association, icon, and statement uniforms are basically modified versions of the uniforms from the 90's. The streaking sun on the jersey is now a sublimated design element, while the design which was used to be on one side of the shorts is now on both sides, with the wordmark still positioned like the original, and sublimated streaks being added as well.

With "The Valley" uniform leaking, I thought it would make a great moniker not just only for Phoenix but probably for the entire state of Arizona. While the leaked design is over-the-top, I thought that there could be wackier (in a good way) than that. Initially, I agonized on which color should be the base for the statement uniform and which should be for the city edition. Eventually, I thought of the state flag (a frequent motif for Arizona-based team uniform concepts, including my Cardinals concept) which can be properly represented in a lighter color, thus, I made the statement uniform black and the city uniform orange. What better way to support the sun rays of the state flag than a desert landscape! Below the desert is a convergence of colors representing the sunset (also applied to the shorts' side panels). The retro font used for the script and the numbers is taken from the team's first logo. Finally, the garter "buckle" features the establishment year of the Suns. I gotta say, this has to be the craziest city uniform design I have ever done.

sFYDMcU.png

HEgxMLj.png

0oAmzYc.png

4e72T2S.png

That's nice... If there was a Swingman edition, would be like this

17 hours ago, Ukyo said:

That's nice... If there was a Swingman edition, would be like this

Unfortunately, I much prefer the ones from the streaking sun era, even if the 2000's era uniforms had a simpler design. Plus, Swingman uniforms are slightly modified versions of the in-game uniforms, if my memory serves me right.

INDIANA PACERS

I'm 100% sure that the P-ball logo won't go away, but, IMO, its luster is somewhat tainted by promoting the roundel version as the primary. I really think that the roundel version should remain as an alternate logo. That's why for my Pacers concept, the roundel is out (kind of), and the wordmark below the P-ball is back (albeit in a changed font). I also made a tweaked version of the state map logo, where I added a "field" taken from the team's We Grow Basketball Here logo and refined the ball to look like the one from the primary logo. Finally, taking cues from some concepts such as this one from @AAO and another one from @Go Red Sox!, a winged basketball is added to the concept logo set. And yes, this basketball is enclosed in a roundel, so, the roundel is not totally out. I'm also 100% sure that the winged basketball concepts are inspired by the primary logo of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Ic3B3yC.png

The association and icon uniforms in this concept are modified (and probably modernized) renderings of the beloved Flo-Jo uniforms, with an addition of three tapered lines on the inner striping, referencing to the streaks from the primary logo or the team's three ABA championships. The asymmetric striping is somewhat narrower, compared to the original, so that the numbers would avoid overlapping it.

Meanwhile, the statement edition pays tribute to Reggie Miller's earlier NBA years by having a horizontal stripe at the front. However, instead of a wordmark, I applied the winged basketball logo inside the horizontal stripe, since some statement uniforms right now feature a logo as well. I also added matching stripes (vertical this time) on both sides of the shorts.

Finally, the city edition pays tribute to a key element of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway: the yard of bricks. I initially went with a different color scheme: navy blue, brick red, and old gold. But that turned out to be not so great, so I resorted to the Pacers' vintage color scheme. And since city uniforms tend to be over-the-top, I went with a cursive "Indy" script, something that's probably never seen before. Though the yard of bricks had multiple versions, I went with the current one.

znpx1SI.png

Y1FO4D3.png

o7bpfmG.png

8RrcFz6.png

Hi all! I've been pondering about expansion into 32 teams, where each conference has two divisions (like what it was before the 2004-05 season), which means I'm bringing back the Midwest division. This also means that there will be a reassignment of a team from one conference to another. As for one of the expansion teams, here's a spoiler: THE SONICS WILL BE BACK.

I really like this look for the Pacers! The winged basketball logo is really nice, and a welcome replacement for the simple roundel. I'd buy a shirt with that on it in a heartbeat.

The updated FloJo home and road unis look really nice. The narrower striping would help them look a little less '90s on the court, and the sublimated vertical lines tie in nicely to the current "We Grow Basketball Here" brand. My only suggestion would be to make the shorts logo larger and move it over to the side of the shorts, opposite the stripes. That would help balance out that side of the uniform.

I'm personally not a huge fan of logos in place of wordmarks, but your yellow jersey works pretty well. I like inspiration of the late '80s uniforms.

I'm really digging the brickyard inspiration of the City Edition. For the Indy script, maybe you could use the Visit Indy logo, which is similar. Also, I'd like to see the version with navy and brick red - I think that could actually work really well.

9 hours ago, mbannon92 said:

I'm really digging the brickyard inspiration of the City Edition. For the Indy script, maybe you could use the Visit Indy logo, which is similar. Also, I'd like to see the version with navy and brick red - I think that could actually work really well.

DE4tJna.png

On 11/19/2020 at 5:13 AM, edjb93 said:

Hi all! I've been pondering about expansion into 32 teams, where each conference has two divisions (like what it was before the 2004-05 season), which means I'm bringing back the Midwest division. This also means that there will be a reassignment of a team from one conference to another. As for one of the expansion teams, here's a spoiler: THE SONICS WILL BE BACK.

Hopefully you will bring a team back into Kansas City as well.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

With the NHL teams having a Reverse Retro gimmick and some forum topics revolving around the same concept, whether it's for NHL teams or for other leagues (shout-out to @RBronish for the great NFL Reverse Retro series), I think it's time for NBA to do the same thing. I'm not yet sure if I'm gonna do it here or on a separate topic. @Ukyo, you might get your wish on the 2000's era Phoenix Suns uniform.

As for the location of the other expansion team I'm going to put here, I have already made my decision. So for those who would like to see their city being repped here, I would like to apologize in advance.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, edjb93 said:

Unfortunately, I much prefer the ones from the streaking sun era, even if the 2000's era uniforms had a simpler design. Plus, Swingman uniforms are slightly modified versions of the in-game uniforms, if my memory serves me right.

True

On 11/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, edjb93 said:

INDIANA PACERS

I'm 100% sure that the P-ball logo won't go away, but, IMO, its luster is somewhat tainted by promoting the roundel version as the primary. I really think that the roundel version should remain as an alternate logo. That's why for my Pacers concept, the roundel is out (kind of), and the wordmark below the P-ball is back (albeit in a changed font). I also made a tweaked version of the state map logo, where I added a "field" taken from the team's We Grow Basketball Here logo and refined the ball to look like the one from the primary logo. Finally, taking cues from some concepts such as this one from @AAO and another one from @Go Red Sox!, a winged basketball is added to the concept logo set. And yes, this basketball is enclosed in a roundel, so, the roundel is not totally out. I'm also 100% sure that the winged basketball concepts are inspired by the primary logo of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Ic3B3yC.png

The association and icon uniforms in this concept are modified (and probably modernized) renderings of the beloved Flo-Jo uniforms, with an addition of three tapered lines on the inner striping, referencing to the streaks from the primary logo or the team's three ABA championships. The asymmetric striping is somewhat narrower, compared to the original, so that the numbers would avoid overlapping it.

Meanwhile, the statement edition pays tribute to Reggie Miller's earlier NBA years by having a horizontal stripe at the front. However, instead of a wordmark, I applied the winged basketball logo inside the horizontal stripe, since some statement uniforms right now feature a logo as well. I also added matching stripes (vertical this time) on both sides of the shorts.

Finally, the city edition pays tribute to a key element of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway: the yard of bricks. I initially went with a different color scheme: navy blue, brick red, and old gold. But that turned out to be not so great, so I resorted to the Pacers' vintage color scheme. And since city uniforms tend to be over-the-top, I went with a cursive "Indy" script, something that's probably never seen before. Though the yard of bricks had multiple versions, I went with the current one.

znpx1SI.png

Y1FO4D3.png

o7bpfmG.png

8RrcFz6.png

Also... This is so beautiful 

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

The T-Wolves have a great logo set, but the jerseys? Not so much. I'm definitely sure that the KG era uniforms are the apex predator of the entire uniform history of this team. I would like to capture the simplicity and fierceness of those jerseys, while adding a modern touch.

The association, icon, and statement uniforms, just like the current ones, all have a single design: trees on the sleeve trims, collar, and garter, and wolf fur (taken from the 2017-18 city uniform) on the side panels. I followed the color arrangement from the current uniforms (white for association, midnight blue for icon, and aurora green for statement) because those still look good despite the bland design of the real-life duds. Since the NBA logo is moved back to the front, the north star is added to accentuate the back.

I was having a hard time back then, on what should be the primary design for the city uniform. Eventually, I settled on the state nickname "The Land of 10,000 Lakes". After all, that's the same inspiration for the then-Minneapolis Lakers. Adding to the locality of the nickname, I looked upon the largest lake in Minneapolis, Bde Maka Ska. The signage design is definitely not enough, so I went with the lake's logo (eventually became the inspiration for the jersey's front logo). What's even more fascinating is that there is also a great backdrop illustration that comes with the logo. When I saw this, I thought, "this is it". Well, I was right. Finally, the entire uniform has a white base, to symbolize the winter season in Minnesota.

jSiWY6B.png

GjGRRmz.png

sphXhlF.png

PNvmPGM.png

I`m ashamed of myself for forgetting about this thread for a while, but I just caught up.

All of these are phenomenal, but some quick thoughts:

Your Thunder concept is by far the best I`ve ever seen. Everything about it.

I love that you brought back the Pistons` horse logo. I loved it in red, white and blue. 

sig.png

Archived