Right team, wrong home arena or stadium

chrispw12

I was thinking what are some instances similar to the right team wrong uniform version what were some examples of a guy on the right team but not in the home venue associated with him. In this I'm not talking about stuff like Yankees at Shea, Bears in Chapaign and other stuff but where they played in that venue either briefly at the very start or before being established or winding down. A couple from Chicago I can think of are Frank Thomas playing the last two months of the 1990 season at old Comiskey and Denis Savard playing at the United Center. In baseball a couple I can think of are Kent Herbek playing at Metropalitan Stadium and Barry Larkin at Great American Ballpark.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brett Gardner, David Robertson and Francisco Cervelli played their rookie season during the old Yankee Stadium swan song in 2008, and the manager was Joe Girardi.

George Steinbrenner's first season as Yankees owner was in 1973, the last season of the first version of the original Yankee Stadium (as you said, temporary ballparks do not count so I won't say Shea either).

For the Spurs probably Tony Parker playing his rookie year at The Alamodome and David Robinson playing his last year at AT&T Center

A few more in baseball Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome playing at Municipal Stadium and Andre Dawson and Gary Carter playing at Parc Jarry

Third baseman Eddie Matthews played his MLB rookie season with the Braves in 1952, the team's final year in Boston.  Matthews kept playing for the Braves from 1953 through 1965, when they called Milwaukee home, and in 1966, the club's first year in Atlanta, before the Braves organization traded him to the Houston Astros.  He ended up being the only person who played for the Braves in all three of the metropolitan areas where they have been based.

14 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

BJ Armstrong's last season with the Bulls in 1995 was the 1st season of the United Center.

Ron Harper 1st season with the Bulls in 1994 was the swan song season of Chicago Stadium.

You're referencing the same season. Harper never played in Chicago Stadium with the Bulls. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Bucs debuted their current uniforms in Tampa Stadium aka The Old Sombrero's last season. Also, Warrick Dunn and Ronde Barber's rookie season.

Serious and semi-related note: I'm amazed at how well the Bucs drafted from the mid-90s until Dungy left. So many Hall of Famers.

Along the line of the 1990s Bulls the last year of Chicago Stadium had from the second three peat Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, Bill Wennington and for the second half Luc Longley and the first United Center season in addition to Armstrong also had Will Perdue and Scott Williams

On 5/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Sometimes you have to go by feel rather than by facts.

Pete Rose played seven years at Crosley Field.  But that just feels wrong.

Brook Lopez played more games for the Nets after the move than before.  But he will always be a New Jersey Net.

Re: Crosley Field: Johnny Bench played 3 1/2 seasons @ Crosley, as well.

UBwef0L.png

Chipper Jones’ first two full seasons (not counting 1994 when he got hurt in spring training) were the Braves’ final two seasons at Fulton County Stadium. But that’s where he got his ring and played in two of his three World Series, strangely enough. We never would’ve thought so at the time though.

Frank Thomas's career started at Old Comiskey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 5/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Kevin Durant's rookie season in the Key Arena (2007-08)

It feels weird saying Key Arena is the wrong arena for a player that played on a franchise that should have never left Seattle.

But, yeah ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived