2020 NHL Alternates (COL posted 6/9)

JB Designs

Kicking off a new series now that Summer has started! I was originally going to build off my NHL Refresh 2.0 series that I finished up a few weeks back, but instead decided to make my life a bit more difficult by coming up with designs that would work as alternates with each team's current set. In this series, I hope to bring focus to teams' secondary logos and colors by creating fresh designs that still fit within each current brand. This may include the addition of new colours, or even logos, into each teams scheme for the purpose of these alternates. Anyway, let's get started...

Don't have a particular order in mind. Planning to go wherever inspiration hits and perhaps listen to some suggestions of who you'd like to see first.

The Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers current black alternate just isn't enough. Rather than correct the smaller details of their 2017 Stadium Series look, they've adopted it as a full-time third warts and all. Here, the black alt gets a little more care, with a full-length yoke and striping inspired by the wings of the primary logo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (PHI posted 5/12)

As a Flyers fan clamoring for the season to come back (because it was the only one in recent memory where they weren't the third place team in the wild card)..

I can say I would love to see these on the ice, compared to the half-hearted attempt at a black jersey they currently wear. This really toes the perfect line between "90s gradients and weirdness" and clean design. When I say see them on the ice, I really mean it because I have trouble forming an image in my brain how these would look from the side on a player, but it would certainly be unique. The only thing I would say is just making the orange cuff-to-cuff stripe kinda spread out at the bottom, like the Flyers uniforms do now, just a small detail that the jerseys have always had. Looking forward to the other concepts!

The Los Angeles Kings

Its frankly criminal that they beautiful Kings purple is suddenly found nowhere in their scheme. By adopting a purple alternate, the Kings inject some colour into their look and pay tribute to their past through the inclusion of a previously-unused primary logo.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (LAK posted 5/15)

The Vegas Golden Knights

The Golden Knights will reportedly be adopting a bright gold alternate in the 2020-21 Season. Here, expectation becomes reality with a minimalist primary logo and arm-striping forming a subtle V as a callback to the city the Knights call home.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (VGK posted 5/16)

The Chicago Blackhawks

Between the Stadium Series, Winter Classics, and their primaries, the Hawks have experimented with about every red, black, and white design they can try. The Chicago Flag offers another color for appropriate use. Here the Hawks adopt a city inspired alternate which a black base (they are the BLACKhawks) after all.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (CHI posted 5/21)

i like it, but i feel like you should swap the logos, and perhaps change up the C a little to make it more stylized to work as a primary logo.  It's kind of boring that the hawks just keep using their regular logo, regardless of the recolorings.  Plus i think it would bring the point of this concept, as the Chicago (city) reference, to the forefront.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:33 AM, B-mer said:

i like it, but i feel like you should swap the logos, and perhaps change up the C a little to make it more stylized to work as a primary logo.  It's kind of boring that the hawks just keep using their regular logo, regardless of the recolorings.  Plus i think it would bring the point of this concept, as the Chicago (city) reference, to the forefront.  

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take another look at it when I get the chance.

Before then...

The Dallas Stars
The alternate for my hometown team takes heavy inspiration from their cup-winning set while elevating the often-neglected Texas-outline logo to prominence on the chest. The color hierarchy on the striping is inverted to better match the team's current identity. I know its not the most imaginative look in the world, but it felt a fitting homage to hockey's early success in the Lone Star State.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (DAL posted 6/7)

The Colorado Avalanche

Another flag-based alternate, this time a two for one. The chest pulls from the state flag of Colorado with simple chest stripe and a logo that meshes the original Colorado Rockies logo with the recent Avalanche update. The arms mimic the city flag of Denver with dual mountain peaks and yellow numbers reminiscent of the sun in the flag. Considering the current Avs colors are shades of blue and red, adopting a direct Colorado pride look seemed a small enough deviation to be realistic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2020 NHL Alternates (COL posted 6/9)

I like nearly all of these.  Not sure about Chicago, but I see what you are going for.  The CO one makes a lot of sense (though I really love the one they made for the outdoor game last year).  Hoping you can figure out a good one for the Islanders. 

9 hours ago, B-mer said:

I think my only thing with COL is the placement of the arm stripes.  I feel like they should be centered with the numbers so the point hits right below them, like Anaheim's old ones.  

Thanks. That;s actually how I originally had them, but I adjusted it to better match the Denver flag (shown below) with two peaks, one on either side of the yellow number just as the sun of the flag sits between two red peaks outlined in white.

spacer.png

On 6/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, JB Designs said:

The Colorado Avalanche

Another flag-based alternate, this time a two for one. The chest pulls from the state flag of Colorado with simple chest stripe and a logo that meshes the original Colorado Rockies logo with the recent Avalanche update. The arms mimic the city flag of Denver with dual mountain peaks and yellow numbers reminiscent of the sun in the flag. Considering the current Avs colors are shades of blue and red, adopting a direct Colorado pride look seemed a small enough deviation to be realistic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Amazing concept! My only nit picky criticism I would share is that the white center stripe is a little distraction and maybe I’d put that on the bottom of the jersey around the waist band or something. Keep up the greatness!

Archived