Best Brands in Sports

Hi all,

Like most of you, I have been really bored this quarantine and decided to go in-depth into each team in all of the 4 major professional sports in my free time. After analyzing all 123 teams, here are what ended up being my top 10 brands, based equally on Colors/Logos (C/L), Uniforms (U), Venue (V), Legacy (L), and Fandom (F). The rankings in each category in comparison to the rest of their league are listed with some teams ahead of them if in the top five:

10. Boston Red Sox (3rd Overall in MLB)

640px-RedSoxPrimary_HangingSocks.svg.png

C/L: 7th out of 30

U: 12th out of 30

V: 3rd out of 30 (CHC & SF are ahead)

L: 3rd out of 30 (NYY & STL are ahead)

F: 3rd out of 30 (LAD & CHC are ahead)

9. Detroit Red Wings (3rd Overall in NHL)

644px-Detroit_Red_Wings_logo.svg.png

C/L: 4th out of 31 (STL, CHI, & PIT are ahead)

U: 4th out of 31 (NYR, CHI, & TOR are ahead)

V: 16th out of 31

L: 2nd out of 31 (MTL is ahead)

F: 2nd out of 31 (WPG is ahead)

8. Los Angeles Dodgers (2nd Overall in MLB)

1920px-Los_Angeles_Dodgers_logo_(low_res

C/L: 5th out of 30 (NYM, NYY, CWS, & MIL are ahead)

U: 7th out of 30

V: 8th out of 30

L: 5th out of 30 (NYY, STL, BOS, & SF are ahead)

F: 1st out of 30

7. Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd Overall in NHL)

1920px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo_(2016).s

C/L: 2nd out of 31 (CHI is ahead)

U: 6th out of 31

V: 7th out of 31

L: 4th out of 31 (MTL, DET, & CHI are ahead)

F: 6th out of 31

6. Green Bay Packers (3rd Overall in NFL)

2560px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

C/L: 8th out of 32

U: 5th out of 32 (PIT, LVR, LAC, & KC are ahead)

V: 1st out of 32

L: 5th out of 32 (PIT, NE, SF, & DAL are ahead)

F: 5th out of 32 (BUF, KC, PIT, & SEA are ahead)

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (2nd Overall in NFL)

1920px-Pittsburgh_Steelers_logo.svg.png

C/L: 3rd out of 32 (LVR & DET are ahead)

U: 1st out of 32

V: 14th out of 32

L: 1st out of 32

F: 3rd out of 32 (BUF & KC are ahead)

4. Chicago Blackhawks (1st Overall in NHL)

1920px-Chicago_Blackhawks_logo.svg.png

C/L: 3rd out of 31 (STL & PIT are ahead)

U: 2nd out of 31 (NYR is ahead)

V: 8th out of 31

L: 3rd out of 31 (MTL & DET are ahead)

F: 4th out of 31 (WPG, DET, & MTL are ahead)

3. Las Vegas Raiders (1st Overall in NFL)

1920px-Las_Vegas_Raiders_logo.svg.png

C/L: 1st out of 32

U: 2nd out of 32 (PIT is ahead)

V: 3rd out of 32 (GB & DAL are ahead)

L: 7th out of 32

F: 6th out of 32

2. Los Angeles Lakers (1st Overall in NBA)

2560px-Los_Angeles_Lakers_logo.svg.png

C/L: 7th out of 30

U: 3rd out of 30 (CHI & BOS are ahead)

V: 2nd out of 30 (NYK is ahead)

L: 1st out of 30

F: 7th out of 30

1. New York Yankees (1st Overall in MLB)

1280px-NewYorkYankees_PrimaryLogo.svg.pn

C/L: 2nd out of 30 (NYM is ahead)

U: 1st out of 30

V: 10th out of 30

L: 1st out of 30

F: 4th out of 30 (LAD, CHC, & BOS are ahead)

Just Missed the Cut:

- Chicago Cubs

- Kansas City Chiefs

- Toronto Maple Leafs

- Montreal Canadiens

- San Francisco Giants

Do you agree? If not, who else? If you want me to release my full rankings, let me know and I can post the sheets doc.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

As much as I hate them, I think you gotta put the Cowboys in there somewhere. That brand is recognized world-wide.

Not to mention when I was growing up, it was Pittsburghs STEEL CURTAIN or Dallas's AMERICAS TEAM in the 1970s

I'm gonna be honest, the metrics for the Penguins are bizarre to me. Giving a top 4 legacy ranking to a franchise that literally had to file for bankruptcy in the 90s and were on the verge of leaving the city altogether makes no sense.

Sure, they've won a good amount of championships, but that was a franchise in dire straits for a considerable period of time.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, mattr1198 said:

- Golden State Warriors

Completely disagree. They had a few recent years of success, have otherwise been a pretty mediocre franchise.

The Habs should absolutely be ahead of the Penguins. They're literally more valuable than any NHL team you actually put on this list. By value alone, the top three should be the Rangers, Leafs and Habs, not the Wings, Pens and Blackhawks.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

As much as I hate them, I think you gotta put the Cowboys in there somewhere. That brand is recognized world-wide.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, C-Squared said:

Agreed. You've got to question the metrics used if the most valuable team on earth can't make the top 10. The Patriots aren't far behind.

I love practically everything about their brand (stadium, logo/colors, and legacy all ranked top 5, with fanbase in the top 10 too), but their uniforms destroyed their rank, as I ranked their uniforms at 21st (Their road blues are good, but I HATE the white home uniform with the horrendous teal pants, no matter how classic it might be. Even players hate them). They ranked #5 out of all the 32 NFL teams, just behind the Chiefs.

As for the Patriots, their legacy ranks #2, but everything else I personally think is pretty mediocre about the Pats' brand, specifically the logos/colors and uniform.

NYC x STL

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I feel like the Habs or the Celtics should fit somewhere here.

Habs and Celtics were near misses too, both ranking top 5 in their leagues. Blackhawks, Pens, Red Wings, and Maple Leafs beat out the Habs, while the Lakers, Warriors and Bulls ranked over the Celts. Only things that hurt their ranks were venues, which both ranked in the dead middle of their respective leagues.

NYC x STL

7 hours ago, Quillz said:

Completely disagree. They had a few recent years of success, have otherwise been a pretty mediocre franchise.

You could say the same for any NBA franchise. With exception to the Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics, pretty much every other NBA team has only been truly great at one point in time (if at all). For example, the Bulls are seen as a premiere brand in the NBA, yet they've mostly been trash outside of the Jordan years. The Warriors had been great in the 70s, as well as arguably being the best team of all-time in the 2010s. They also have an awesome look overall in recent years and a historically great fanbase.

NYC x STL

Since some of you may be questioning why some teams are not listed, here are my full rankings by league to clear some things up. Remember, logos/colors and uniforms play a big factor into the rankings, just as much as legacy, so the best brand isn't just the most historically significant ones (ones where you couldn't tell the story of the league without), but one that has an iconic and, more important, good looking appearance. Note I made some edits too, which I have fixed in the original ranks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10nUCpwdo9CD-XpN2I3I1Zco-C0LIlyU3w6z28Lr7GL8/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any suggestions or differences, let me know

NYC x STL

Great idea for a thread... though I question some of your rankings. Most egregious to me?

* The Los Angeles Dodgers have the #1 Fandom in Major League Baseball? Trust me... you have to do more than peruse ESPN's MLB Attendance report. Dodgers fans are notorious for  arriving to the ballpark late, leaving early, and spending most of their time either socializing or sitting with their eyeballs glued to their smartphones. 

* As for the Raiders having the #3 Venue in the National Football League, they haven't even played a game in Allegiant Stadium yet. Sure, the photos look beautiful, but let's see what the atmosphere in said venue is like after a few 6 and 10 Raiders campaigns. Now, it may be great... but, will that be due to the fact that visiting fans on a weekend junket to "Sin City" are celebrating the fact that their favorite team is curb-stomping the "Silver and Black"?   

1 hour ago, mattr1198 said:

Only things that hurt their ranks were venues, which both ranked in the dead middle of their respective leagues.

I'm gonna assume you haven't taken into account the TD's Garden's extensive renovations over the past year?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Great idea for a thread... though I question some of your rankings. Most egregious to me?

* The Los Angeles Dodgers have the #1 Fandom in Major League Baseball? Trust me... you have to do more than peruse ESPN's MLB Attendance report. Dodgers fans are notorious for  arriving to the ballpark late, leaving early, and spending most of their time either socializing or sitting with their eyeballs glued to their smartphones. 

* As for the Raiders having the #3 Venue in the National Football League, they haven't even played a game in Allegiant Stadium yet. Sure, the photos look beautiful, but let's see what the atmosphere in said venue is like after a few 6 and 10 Raiders campaigns. Now, it may be great... but, will that be due to the fact that visiting fans on a weekend junket to "Sin City" are celebrating the fact that their favorite team is curb-stomping the "Silver and Black"?   

The thing with the Dodgers, is part of the "arrive late, leave early" development is due to the ballpark's location and nightmarish traffic to get there. In spite of this (unlike Tampa, which has a similar problem) they still show up in droves. And additionally, a lot of baseball fans, no matter where you look, are glued to their phones, this is not a problem exclusive to LA, as it happens in NY with the Yankees and Chicago with the Cubs.

The Raiders were a bit hard to rank, specifically new stadiums. Atmosphere plays more into the fandom aspect, I was evaluating mostly from a design standpoint (with exception to Lambeau). Even then, Raiders fans are one of the most widespread in the NFL and the Golden Knights proved a lot of Vegas residents care about their local teams, especially with the Raiders having an outstanding spread in SoCal.

NYC x STL

5 minutes ago, MDGP said:

I'm gonna assume you haven't taken into account the TD's Garden's extensive renovations over the past year?

Since I went to TD Garden back in 2017, I did not. All I heard from that front was the massive criticism directed at the insane lack of legroom and removal of the cool yellow and black seats. Plus I still find the majority of its exterior to be pretty cold compared to other NBA/NHL venues. I might've not accounted for other significant renovations, so my apologies.

NYC x STL

4 minutes ago, mattr1198 said:

Since I went to TD Garden back in 2017, I did not. All I heard from that front was the massive criticism directed at the insane lack of legroom and removal of the cool yellow and black seats. Plus I still find the majority of its exterior to be pretty cold compared to other NBA/NHL venues. I might've not accounted for other significant renovations, so my apologies.

I'll agree, the leg room thing was awful, and I'll never get over the loss of the yellow seats. Besides the seats, the renovation ultimately did two big things, it made a TON of cosmetic changes and it added a lot of amenities, particularly food and drink to the arena, as well as a much improved team store.

Before the renovation, the garden was legitimately one of the ugliest stadiums from the outside, particularly because part of the stadium that most people would enter from was just a big grey concrete wall.

800px-TD_Garden_(crop).JPG

Since the renovation it's a lot more like the entrance to MSG with skyscrapers in front of the arena itself. (As a side note, it's also drastically improved the Boston skyline).

100319causewayar04.jpg?w=795

It's definitely a much improved arena since the renovations.

Archived