Uniforms changed the season after a championship

17 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I found both the Penguins and Rockets decisions to be kind of odd.  I think with the Rams, the change was well underway and probably a done deal by the time they won the Super Bowl. But with the Penguins and Rockets, they changed after two seasons, which I suspect means they hadn't passed the point of no return after the first title...you'd think they would have scrapped the idea of changing at that point.  Particularly given that Pittsburgh had a fairly iconic and well-established logo.  Houston's uniform might have been kinda plain, but it's a strange time to shift that much to something that goofy.

The 1987 Twins did the same.

The near penniless con-man the NHL allowed to purchase the Penguins actually wanted to change the name of the team! 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean Gentille did a write-up of the thought process that went into that 92-93 change recently at The Athletic. Not a lot of new information, but it's a pretty well-written summary.

https://theathletic.com/1772611/2020/04/27/the-inside-story-of-the-penguins-pittsburgh-pigeon-logo/

And while teams don’t typically overhaul their look immediately after a title, either — every franchise wants an iconic look, and few have the chance — there are some semi-recent examples; the St. Louis Rams in 2000, the Houston Rockets in 1995 … and, of course, the Penguins in 1991.

Baldwin, in other words, took an unorthodox route to a rare purchase and made a non-traditional decision. And he did it quickly. There was money to be made.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Andy said:

Of course that wasn't the first time the Penguins changed uniforms after winning the championship. They (in)famously ditched the skating penguin for the robopenguin/gin n juice jerseys after going back-to-back in 91 and 92.

And the Penguins 1992-95 uniform set remains the best in team history. 

On 5/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, OnWis97 said:

Houston's uniform might have been kinda plain, but it's a strange time to shift that much to something that goofy.

I wish I remembered where I read it, but the Rockets actually tried to backtrack on the logo change after the second title, but I think it was too late to reverse course because merchandise was already made and would have probably cost the team millions to reimburse the companies for unused merch.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

I wish I remembered where I read it, but the Rockets actually tried to backtrack on the logo change after the second title, but I think it was too late to reverse course because merchandise was already made and would have probably cost the team millions to reimburse the companies for unused merch.

Still after the first title they should have known to not change, and I doubt anything was made a year plus out.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:41 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Eh, it was 2016 for the first one. No uniform change for 2017.

th?id=OIP.iw9CAIbSzkP3UFfGR59VqQHaEK%26p

It was 2018 that saw the uniform change.

To be precisely, they won Championship in 15/16 season then no uniforms changes for 16/17 (last year of adidas) and after that when nike arrived in 17/18 they changed uniforms.

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, Ark said:

It's true though. Especially the PITTSBURGH/Gin and Juice jersey. 

Could have Fooled me. King Penguin himself HATED that Logo / Uniform. I know lots of Pens fans that HATE that Logo / Uniform. Personally,  I QUIT BUYING Pens Merchandise because of that garbage. As a former Usher at CONSOL Energy Center (5/2011 - 2/2015) when the Pens were having Ushers hand out survey cards (every survey focused on different aspects of the Franchise) about the Fans Favorite Logo / Color Scheme /  Uniform, the Skating Penguin, Black / Pittsburgh Gold /  '88 -'92 Uniforms were the POPULAR Choices. Tell me again which Logo / Color Scheme /  Uniforms the Pens are currently wearing? Skating Penguin / Black and Pittsburgh Gold (ditched the Vegas Gold)  / '88 - '92 Uniforms fit to the Adidas Template

Image-from-iOS-1-9-scaled.jpg

Go Pittsburgh go Pittsburgh go!

That sentiment also had a fundamental problem: plenty of mascots are intimidating. Plenty of mascots are sleek. Those mascots tend not to be flightless birds. Artistically speaking, “make the penguin scarier” was not the easiest request Adams had ever fielded.

“I’m thinking, Why can’t I get the Sharks or the Lightning or the Bruins?” Adams said. “I get the freakin’ Penguins.”

Okay, I know it was 1992, a brave new world of sports merchandise, but you still had lots of successful brands that were not aggressive or intimidating: look at the many birds of baseball. So if your response to a penguin is "i no no wat 2 dooo" then maybe you're just not that creative?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/28/2020 at 7:53 PM, the admiral said:

Image-from-iOS-1-9-scaled.jpg

Go Pittsburgh go Pittsburgh go!

Okay, I know it was 1992, a brave new world of sports merchandise, but you still had lots of successful brands that were not aggressive or intimidating: look at the many birds of baseball. So if your response to a penguin is "i no no wat 2 dooo" then maybe you're just not that creative?

How about going with this?
;)

spacer.png

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 5/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, rattyrattera said:

Penguins wore their Vegas gold jerseys when won the Cup in 2016, before going full time with the throwbacks

Does that really count as much as the other examples mentioned, though, since the Penguins wore the throwbacks as their home jerseys for the playoffs?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

How about some major junior hockey ones.  

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies won last year's Memorial Cup wearing this:

spacer.png

Played with new uniforms this year.  They decided to do a redesign with switch to CCM Quicklite:

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, C-Squared said:

I was convinced as a child that new uniforms created champions.

Ditto with Kobe/Shaq's first title in 1999-2000 wearing wishbones...coinciding with the opening of Staples Center. 

On 5/31/2020 at 7:11 PM, Wade Heidt said:

How about some major junior hockey ones.  

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies won last year's Memorial Cup wearing this:

spacer.png

Played with new uniforms this year.  They decided to do a redesign with switch to CCM Quicklite:

spacer.png

Holy cow the level of this upgrade

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived