Classic TV Shows & the NFL & MLB

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

My favorite part of that is that episode aired the season the Broncos won the Super Bowl and the Broncos have been a generally good team sense.

I think the Colts or Cardinals would have been a more fitting team, but their team names don't have the same comedic cadence as the Broncos.

Actually it aired in 1996 - two years before they won the SB.  https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/You_Only_Move_Twice

For the most part, whenever I thought of the Broncos, I thought of the teams that got consistently smashed in the SB, which made them seem like total dopes.  That was the era where the "real" SB was the NFCCG, because the AFC totally sucked for more than a decade.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Actually it aired in 1996 - two years before they won the SB.  https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/You_Only_Move_Twice

For the most part, whenever I thought of the Broncos, I thought of the teams that got consistently smashed in the SB, which made them seem like total dopes.  That was the era where the "real" SB was the NFCCG, because the AFC totally sucked for more than a decade.

Oh, that's right. I thought the Broncos won the Super Bowl in 97 following the 96 season, but I was a year off.

So yeah, fair play making them a punch line. They were pretty consistent losers until they weren't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/25/2020 at 12:16 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

The Office: Eagles and Phillies. Jim is a massive fan and calls into sports radio shows to talk about the Eagles specifically. He also gets occasionally teased by Ryan and David for being a fan of Philadelphia teams in general. Ryan also shares his first and last name with the Phillies slugger, Ryan Howard.

Ryan Howard, the Phillies player, also makes a cameo near the end of the shoes run. IIRC, it was an interview for a Star Wars fan fiction he wrote and was pitching to Darryl and Jim's new company.

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Seinfeld: Knicks and Bulls (the game Jerry and George tried to attend before getting mixed up in the Donald O’Brien situation), Rangers and Devils (Puddy!)

Also the episode were one of them (I'm pretty sure it was Kramer) gets kicked out of a Knicks game for arguing with Reggie Miller and then goes out to eat with Miller and Spike Lee.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:17 PM, charger77 said:

Weird thing was with all the Philadealphia sports references in one episode he wore a Mighty Ducks jersey and not Flyers. 

Maybe ABC/Disney pushing the Disney team...?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:16 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Seinfeld: Mets, Yankees, and Orioles. Jerry, Kramer, and Newman are all Mets fans (plus the Keith Hernandez incident!), and George is later a Yankees employee who has a close working relationship with Steinbrenner. Elaine is from Maryland and an Orioles fan (who refuses to remove her Orioles cap at a Yankees game).

Friends: Football Giants. Chandler, Monica, Ross, and Joey are all Giants fans and wear Giants apparel at various points throughout the series. The group also watches broadcasts of Giants games occasionally throughout the series (including once at the funeral of Ross and Monica’s grandmother).

The Office: Eagles and Phillies. Jim is a massive fan and calls into sports radio shows to talk about the Eagles specifically. He also gets occasionally teased by Ryan and David for being a fan of Philadelphia teams in general. Ryan also shares his first and last name with the Phillies slugger, Ryan Howard.

How I Met Your Mother: Vikings, Browns, and Indians; Marshall is a native of Minnesota and a Vikings fan, and Ted is a native of Ohio and a Browns/Indians fan (also, the wedding of Ted’s childhood friend in Cleveland is Browns themed).

Parks and Recreation: Colts. The series takes place in Indiana and refers to the Colts in some form often.

EDIT: Oh, I don’t think this counts as “Classic”, but the Documentary Now episode “Bat:censored: Valley” has a hilarious bit about how the featured cult members’ names were just rearranged Steelers legend names. 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived