Sports things you miss (The good old days)

For me, (I am 53 now), the good old days were during the 1970s.

I miss Phil Rizzuto, Bob Messer & Bill White announcing Yankee games on WPIX Channel 11, New York, including the "Here Come The Yankees" theme music.

Ditto Bob Murphy, Ralph Kiner & Lindsey Nelson on WWOR Channel 9 including the "Meet the Mets" theme song.

Although not a fan of Philly teams, I even miss Harry Kalas & Richie "Whitey" Ashburn announcing Phillies broadcasts.

I also miss ABC's Wide World of Sports.  I loved watching Meadowlark Lemon & Curley Neal with the Harlem Globetrotters on those broadcasts.

I miss daytime MLB playoff baseball.

I miss Super Bowls & other NFL games being played in the afternoon in full daylight.

I miss Howard Cosell, Don Meredith & Frank Gifford on Monday Night Football on ABC.

A great many of the colorful uniforms from back then I miss big time too.  I've attempted to recreate some of them in paint.  Very very amateurish especially compared to a lot of the amazing artwork shared on here by so many gifted members.

Above all other things, I miss having my Dad, my best friend and my cousins to watch games with.  Many sweet memories made.

Oh and I miss the simple joy of collecting Topps Baseball cards back in the day too.  How I wish I had taken much better care of them...hindsight is like this year, 2020.

• Like 3

I think I was 10 when they introduced the current theme. Even then I hated it compared to this one.

• Like 3

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

36 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

MLB on Fox (games on Saturday afternoons and some evening games).  

i know they still have some here and there every so often but still miss them anyway.

also Monday Night Football on ABC.

I miss MLB on FOX doubleheaders and a full length pregame show (which was also preceded by the last days of TWIB), they got rid of the pregame show because of the Great Recession and they wanted to be damn near focused 100% on NFL coverage

• Like 2

I miss NHL teams wearing white at home. Heck, I miss knowing what NBA uniform goes for what occasion. 

I miss National Hockey Night on ESPN.

I miss official NFL video games that aren't Madden.

I miss Keith Jackson.

I miss Nebraska being a football powerhouse. 

I miss the annual Kansas-Missouri Border Wa-I mean, "Showdown" at Arrowhead Stadium. 

• Like 4

Watching The Last Dance, as well as some old sporting events from 15-20 years ago, I miss the feeling of watching sports when I was younger. But sports just felt different when I was younger. They felt bigger, more important. I think it happened when I started to become older than some of the athletes participating, or maybe I just need more time removed this past decade. Or maybe it's because, while I still like and enjoy watching sports, I don't care about them. Does that make sense?

• Like 4

-- I miss the difference since they built the east side upper deck in LSU Tiger Stadium behind my lower bowl seats. I remember how weird it was noticing how darker everything looked once that was built-- we had no 'spillover' from the stadium lights anymore.  

-- I miss the animated intro from the old TBS SEC Game of the Week on Saturdays:

-- I miss getting REALLY cheap tickets (NFL, MLB, and NBA) when teams were bad, and sneaking down to better seats in lower levels because the stadium was less than 1/2 full.  Ushers never bothered you about it.   Can't do that anymore; those are always "club seats" and access to concourse and seating areas in them are highly controlled. 

-- I miss ABC's Wide World of Sports in the 70s.

-- I miss the ECHL having the "I-10 division of hockey" in the late 90s: Louisiana (Lafayette) Ice Gators, Baton Rouge Kingfish, New Orleans Brass, Mississippi (Biloxi) Sea Wolves,  Mobile Mysticks, Pensacola Ice Pilots, and Tallahassee Tiger Sharks.  We always went to Thanksgiving with my mom's extended family in Biloxi, and  The Sea Wolves had a tradition of playing a Thanksgiving night game which we always attended before heading home. Good times.

-- I miss the Olympics having the underlying theme of being the good guys (US) vs. the bad guys (USSR/eastern bloc and communist countries in general).

-- I miss the god-danged NEW ORLEANS JAZZ.

• Like 2

It is what it is.

I miss the NFL draft taking place during the day.  It was so much more fun when you could make a day of it.  I loved sitting in the garage with the draft on the radio and some beers in a cooler, taking putt swings into a jar on a sunny weekend. 

Now it's all a collossal event that the entire world hinges upon, and it takes place late at night.  It's dead inside now, ruined by the insatiable lust for football.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I miss the old HNiC theme. 

I miss the Super Bowl kicking off in the daylight.

I miss the Pro Bowl being this fun, if inconsequential, thing that was the send off to the NFL season after the Super Bowl. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

-- I miss the difference since they built the east side upper deck in LSU Tiger Stadium behind my lower bowl seats. I remember how weird it was noticing how darker everything looked once that was built-- we had no 'spillover' from the stadium lights anymore.  

-- I miss the animated intro from the old TBS SEC Game of the Week on Saturdays:

-- I miss getting REALLY cheap tickets (NFL, MLB, and NBA) when teams were bad, and sneaking down to better seats in lower levels because the stadium was less than 1/2 full.  Ushers never bothered you about it.   Can't do that anymore; those are always "club seats" and access to concourse and seating areas in them are highly controlled. 

-- I miss the ECHL having the "I-10 division of hockey" in the late 90s: Louisiana (Lafayette) Ice Gators, Baton Rouge Kingfish, New Orleans Brass, Mississippi (Biloxi) Sea Wolves,  Mobile Mysticks, Pensacola Ice Pilots, and Tallahassee Tiger Sharks.  We always went to Thanksgiving with my mom's extended family in Biloxi, and  The Sea Wolves had a tradition of playing a Thanksgiving night game which we always attended before heading home. Good times.

-- I miss the Olympics having the underlying theme of being the good guys (US) vs. the bad guys (USSR/eastern bloc and communist countries in general).

went a few NHL games at the old USAir Arena/ and then the MCI/Verizon Center*.  Tickets were $20 for the cheap seats (last few rows from the top).  never got down to the lower level but i do miss those days.  

also sort of miss going up to Baltimore and seeing Orioles games at Camden Yards (last time was in August 2001 for an afternoon game sat in the outfield bleachers).   

*got to play 3 games there after a Caps game there (MCI/Verizon Center).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

i miss ABC's Wide World of Sports to begin with (when it was just odd sports you never saw normally, i.e for you older folk here)

miss the days the Olympics was just one ABC or NBC and nothing on cable (and pre internet days before you found out who won)

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I'll start with some more recent absences and departures that have left my sports universe:

• ESPNews as an actual sports news network as opposed to now being the equivalent of ESPN 2. I find myself wishing I could just tune in and watch the anchors dish out news and highlights as the day in sports unfolds. I might add that as a compromise, I'd be comfortable with some form of SportsCenter on at every hour of the day, which is what they did in like 2010 if my memory serves me right.
  • Gus Johnson and Marv Albert (yes, that Marv Albert) calling NFL games. Gus' NFL resume speaks for itself from the Stokley catch of 2010 to the Jags hail mary (same year, I think?). As for Marv, I think he was decent when he returned to CBS after the March Madness deal with Turner almost linked the two together. Shoot, while I'm on the Gus tab, I wonder if Fox would let him cut a deal with CBS/Turner to call tournament games....that, we ALL could agree on, is dearly missed.
  • Locally, as an O's fan, I miss Fred Manfra and Joe Angel calling games on the radio. Angel retired before 2019 and Manfra stepped down midway through 2018.
  • Thursday Night Football when NFL Network shared it with CBS. This was the best presentation I've seen so far from them. NBC was okay, and Fox has just a slight rehash of the regular NFL games aside from some graphics differences and the pregame show in NYC.
  • Shopping for gear across the major sports leagues BEFORE Fanatics swallowed up their services. I miss the unique experiences in going to the NFL Shop website or flipping through that catalog. Same goes for the NBA Store, MLBShop.com, etc. when the leagues all had their stuff under control.
  • ESPN's 2-Minute Drill. Who didn't love a sports game show on TV?
  • ABC Sports and ESPN as separate, but tightly bonded divisions. 
  • Like 4

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png