Cleveland Browns: Brownie the Elf

SFGiants58

While the Cleveland Browns' redesign thankfully brought them back to their roots, there was one particular element that was missing. No, not orange pants. It's Brownie the Elf. 

Brownie the Elf (named for British folklore spirits) was an important part of the team's identity throughout their golden days of the 1940s-60s, featuring throughout their branding.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ__mRcIwsnSo2Al0IJRbxcleveland-browns-brownie_9lz46tyxywom173whbqwskaaw.jpg?t=-1558463085&w=500&quality=80 220px-Paul_Brown,_American_football_head_coach.png 327420745_612325172e.jpg?v=0327423184_fc9ab4da8b_o.gif

Read this Cleveland Scene article on the Elf, which was (in turn) a Uni-Watch reprint. The article asserts that it was Art Modell's decision to dump Brownie, saying it was too "embarassing" or "kiddy" (more or less). While the team has brought back Brownie in various little capacities, it has never returned to official status. In that time, the team has wavered between dogs (for the Dawg Pound fan section) and generic helmet logos. The recent redesign was the perfect time to correct these issues, so I decided to have a crack at it.

Using three running Brownie logos as inspirations (the original@ren69's update, and Stuart Dudukovich's redesign), I created my own Brownie the Elf! I gave him a thinner shape on the body and head, used a smirking expression, and adopted Dudukovich's "C" belt buckle. I also inserted the brown/white/brown stripe on the belt, for a bit of branding cohesion.

RML4ZyJ.png

Here he is with his inspirations and in multiple color schemes.

iPLkf61.png n8kga0c.png

Also, that "C helmet B" design? I took the 1970-85 helmet logo and thickened the outline, while adding a new helmet hole. The "C" and "B" are modified versions of the Tar Heels' font.

H0hR6cg.png

I just got hit with a design bug over the weekend and this is what came out. It's a modern Brownie, along with a proper "logo" that combines the helmet and stripe design!

C+C is greatly appreciated.

Archived