NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

😄

That's the take with A LOT of fans nowadays.  My family are all Bucks fans and even they said "yeah, this one is trash.  The Bucks are a green and cream team, not blue."

I feel like a lot of these designs are coming from Twitter pressure, tbh.  Like, idk anyone IRL that wanted a blue Bucks jersey, but everywhere you look on twitter, there was someone clamoring for a blue jersey.  I guarantee next year is purple.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 12/10/2020 at 2:13 PM, MCM0313 said:

Am I the only one who actually likes the Heat’s gradient look?

Not the only one! Of all the City Uniforms, Miami's has been the most consistent in terms of branding, how it fits with the city & identity, etc.

I'm actually more surprised at how the uniform manufacturing got the gradient to be so... gradual since back then gradients on uniforms were a little more... harsh. So to speak...

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

That's the take with A LOT of fans nowadays.  My family are all Bucks fans and even they said "yeah, this one is trash.  The Bucks are a green and cream team, not blue."

I feel like a lot of these designs are coming from Twitter pressure, tbh.  Like, idk anyone IRL that wanted a blue Bucks jersey, but everywhere you look on twitter, there was someone clamoring for a blue jersey.  I guarantee next year is purple.

That's what blows my mind. Purple would make sense. A lot of teams have a plethora of old color schemes they could use for alts. NHL reverse retro did a beautiful job of showing how it could work.

I don't understand why so many NBA teams went out of their way to create uniforms that purposely broke historical continuity.

12 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I still see the ad though? 

Yes, you're right, the ad is annoying, but not as much as that awful banana yellow. I also prefer the white-purple-white trim instead of yellow-purple-white, but it's the lack of gold that really pisses me off.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

51 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

That's what blows my mind. Purple would make sense.

Blue makes sense for the Bucks to me. It’s on their uniforms, court and logos. Why the hell wouldn’t they do it? This is like the complaints about the Nuggets red, it makes sense because it’s actually a team color.

Be upset at things like the Hornets or Grizzlies not using their team colors. That’s where your argument should be.

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Blue makes sense for the Bucks to me. It’s on their uniforms, court and logos. Why the hell wouldn’t they do it? This is like the complaints about the Nuggets red, it makes sense because it’s actually a team color.

Be upset at things like the Hornets or Grizzlies not using their team colors. That’s where your argument should be.

I agree with this. Only that I don't get nor like the different shade of blue wave motif on the Bucks uniform, which is actually not a part of their color scheme.

Also, while the Hornets City uni color scheme is decent, I don't like it for them at all. They have such prominent brand colors of their own that are superior, why go for a color that is very close to your actual one but not quite the same? The template is good and their primaries should've used it instead.

And while the Grizzlies' uni is nice all with the color combo (which I'd be all for it to be their primary), the wordmark is kinda raw, and would benefit of a better finished wordmark design.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:17 PM, prof said:

And it's still the new design, while the Kobe era unis should've stayed... was nothing wrong about them and worked perfectly.

3 hours ago, prof said:

I also prefer the white-purple-white trim instead of yellow-purple-white, but it's the lack of gold that really pisses me off.

I think they did that to distance the new design from the Magic era unis, which are still sold separately as Classic editions, as far as I know. It definitely doesn't look as good as white-purple-white.

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I see where you’re coming from, and might’ve agreed with you if the Bucks had any green and cream on the uniform too. The problem is, it’s only multiple blues and white, with no other team color whatsoever. That’s the reason it looks so jarring; they’re using a trim-based tertiary color as the primary color without any other team color to bring it back to earth, so to say. That’s leading to a color scheme that is far more Dallas or Minnesota in my eyes than Milwaukee, and just doesn’t look right. Some green and cream trim would’ve helped solve that problem significantly. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, prof said:

Yes, you're right, the ad is annoying, but not as much as that awful banana yellow. I also prefer the white-purple-white trim instead of yellow-purple-white, but it's the lack of gold that really pisses me off.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Banana yellow = terrible.  The Jerry West logo moved to the back then replaced with ads = horrible.  LeBron photo off-center = triggered. 

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I understand your point because it's technically correct. What makes the Bucks design odd is that they took a minor trim color, added two(?) more shades of blue and based an entire uniform around it with while excluding the teams main colors.

The Nuggets did something similar to the Bucks but at least incorporated yellow with the Red. The Mavericks uniform is completely devoid of any historical, modern or local affiliation; makes zero sense. The Magic using orange has reference to their location in Orange County. The Rockets seem to be a nod to the Oilers but honestly I'm not sure.

The Hornets one is odd because they used a color very similar to their main color but added gold for some reason. The Grizzlies seem to be testing the idea of transitioning back to their original color scheme. IMO the Grizzlies design has the most consistency to their identity

spacer.png

Interesting that the Heat are embracing the violet color which is in between the Gale Blue to Pink gradient in their city jerseys. I've seen Miami refer to these as the last of the Vice Series.

Will be interesting if they implement violet in their new city branding next year. Does it replace Blue or Pink? I also could see them modifying the Floridians colors (Orange, Black and Pink).

7 hours ago, O.C.D said:

That's what blows my mind. Purple would make sense. A lot of teams have a plethora of old color schemes they could use for alts. NHL reverse retro did a beautiful job of showing how it could work.

I don't understand why so many NBA teams went out of their way to create uniforms that purposely broke historical continuity.

To sum it up:

1. Having to listen to Nike & Money.

2. Listening to the fanbase & season ticket holders (or not)

3. Wanting to do something different and not deal with the weight of tradition, nostalgia, etc.

4. Good/Bad team marketing departments.

To further elaborate, the NBA is an athletic entertainment business and each team has their fans worldwide. The money is always the factor but not the only one. We also have to keep in mind that some teams' have good marketing departments and others... don't. For example, take the Miami Heat. They said that their current color scheme (Red, white, black, yellow) are not changing in the near future yet for the fourth year in the row, their Vice Jerseys are the talk of the town (for better or worst, for the right or wrong reasons, etc.)., When they first made the Vice Jerseys, they paid attention to not only their history but also the immediate market that they're in which is South Florida.

Some teams really do pay attention to their markets the best way possible (Memphis is another excellent example so far 2/3 of their City uniforms were not brand colors at all but every design has paid attention to the local history; Brooklyn Nets and their Local Artists Uni's, Utah Jazz and their jerseys, Portland Trailblazers, Chicago Bulls, hell even the Lakers and their Lore series along with the... Clippers' and their past few City jerseys)

Some teams don't care but money is being printed (New York, but the fireman jersey was their best City jersey and their current one is a collab with a local fashion house, Detroit, Dallas, Orlando, etc.)

Other teams (or every team) has a hit or miss marketing department. 

I'll stop rambling on...

5 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

Still nothing on the Timberwolves Jersey sponsor. Believe they cut ties with Fitbit. Will watch tonight but they would have a large announcement if I were to see anything.

Same with Sacramento, Houston and New Orleans. These teams are also sponsorless at this moment.

4r2eer.png

56 minutes ago, FroBroStudio said:

To sum it up:

1. Having to listen to Nike & Money.

2. Listening to the fanbase & season ticket holders (or not)

3. Wanting to do something different and not deal with the weight of tradition, nostalgia, etc.

4. Good/Bad team marketing departments.

To further elaborate, the NBA is an athletic entertainment business and each team has their fans worldwide. The money is always the factor but not the only one. We also have to keep in mind that some teams' have good marketing departments and others... don't. For example, take the Miami Heat. They said that their current color scheme (Red, white, black, yellow) are not changing in the near future yet for the fourth year in the row, their Vice Jerseys are the talk of the town (for better or worst, for the right or wrong reasons, etc.)., When they first made the Vice Jerseys, they paid attention to not only their history but also the immediate market that they're in which is South Florida.

Some teams really do pay attention to their markets the best way possible (Memphis is another excellent example so far 2/3 of their City uniforms were not brand colors at all but every design has paid attention to the local history; Brooklyn Nets and their Local Artists Uni's, Utah Jazz and their jerseys, Portland Trailblazers, Chicago Bulls, hell even the Lakers and their Lore series along with the... Clippers' and their past few City jerseys)

Some teams don't care but money is being printed (New York, but the fireman jersey was their best City jersey and their current one is a collab with a local fashion house, Detroit, Dallas, Orlando, etc.)

Other teams (or every team) has a hit or miss marketing department. 

I'll stop rambling on...

Each franchise is trying to accomplish something slightly different with the city uniforms. Sales figures are ultimately going to determine which designs are successful (or not). Memphis has been using colors from their previous identity. In that larger scope they're staying on brand.

Miami's Vice identity has a special niche, similar to the Pacers hickory identity. Those both make sense

The city identity that makes absolutely zero sense is Dallas. I'd love to find out what their thinking was because I can't make sense of what the designers were trying to accomplish.

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Same with Sacramento, Houston and New Orleans. These teams are also sponsorless at this moment.

Pelicans actually revealed their sponsor a couple weeks ago with "Ibotta." No one really cared though we were kinda bummed that it wasn't a local brand but obviously it's highest bidder wins 

(I'm just gonna use this post cause I don't feel like digging all the way down the page)

IMG-7122.gif

Archived