NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Initial reaction to each team and their Earned sets:

Brooklyn: I really like these. They went Subway-theme, a concept we've seen around here quite often. I hope the herringbone pattern (also found on their court) is darker in action, because my hope is that the smaller details stand out, like the striping found along the collar, cuffs, and striping along the jersey and shorts.

Boston: I can't love these, because the double green just makes me think Bucks. Old Gold would've been a more acceptable accent color.

Dallas: Meh. It's just feels like something similar to what we've seen before out of their current uniforms. The Mavs have a habit of shuffling certain pieces of their uniforms around to make "new" alternates. Remember the P. Diddy alternate that was green, then eventually it became light blue, then navy blue?

Milwaukee: Out of the park. Way to go on utilizing the antlers in the fashion they did. I can excuse the limited use of black as a tertiary color here, but overall, this should pickup steam to stay in rotation after this season.

Denver: I don't love it, however, I don't abhor it. I enjoy the call back to a color scheme of the past, but I'm so over the trend of using a logo in place of a team wordmark. And from what I can see in the image, the design is similar, if not the same, to their current home and road design. If it's just a recolor, then I'm just neutral on it.

Houston: What's there to say? Just a recolor of their home and road. I like it better than their current black alternate, but a waste of space for a second black uniform. Houston, you have a plethora of things to work with within your identity.

Los Angeles Lakers: These flat out SUCK. Once again, another black (or dark gray?) uniform for a team that doesn't need it (outside of the Kobe/City uniform). The Lore series for the City uniforms has yielded better outcomes than this. They could've gone Minneapolis Lakers themed here.

L.A. Clippers: LA going 0 for 2 here. Grey, really? It's not enough to have had a White City jersey last season, only to have it inverted this season, and then proceed to make the Earned set grey? Nothing tops the City set they had for the 2017-18 season. That's where they need to be looking to.

Orlando: Now we return to something that I can get behind. I love the call back to the starry pattern to the early 2000s Magic set, found in the side striping on these. I have to dock points for them using the logo on the front (see Denver), but otherwise, this is solid.

Miami: At this moment, I'm leaning towards liking these more than I should. Don't get me wrong, it's a recolor of their current set, but I enjoy how this three color scheme plays upon each other. Spruce in a little red and this could've been higher on my list. These are still nice.

Toronto: I wanted purple back, but not like this. This looks like they just took the purple portion, blew up the image and just plastered it right on top of a black background. Nothing about this is inspiring. Maybe when it's in motion, it'll look better. But as of today, it's a no for me, dawg.

Philadelphia: Logo on the jersey, we meet again. I do like when Philadelphia goes cream, and I actually think that they should replace white with cream someday, but this Earned set is just okay. I don't like that they made the striping inconsistent by differing the waistband pattern from the rest. It's a clean look, but it's not a fun look.

Portland: Going greyscale here. My only comment is that it needs some red.

Utah: I like it; I appreciate that they changed up the striping on the shorts. Utah is a team that I could give a pass to when it comes to the logo on the jersey, the way the numerals are nestled with the logo makes it work. My changes to this would be to tone down the saturation on the yellow, and go with white numerals.

Indiana: It's a modern rendition of the yellow alternate of the 2000s, and I like it. I really don't have much more to say on it.

Oklahoma City: The double blue is nice, but if you're going to have orange accessories, why not have a bit of orange in the set to split the two blues? That's the thing I find is missing, just a little more orange.

San Antonio: Typical logo on jersey look for the Spurs, which I don't like. I feel as though they could've have introduced a script or another wordmark on this set. I, also, would have liked to see the striping that's on the side of the jersey and shorts to be echoed throughout the set. Maybe they should have gone with some kind of lasso theme here.

Phoenix: I want to see this one in action to determine if it's a hit or miss, because I secretly like this set. There's some things about the jersey that I would've tweaked, maybe instead of a jarring stop between the black "yolk" and the purple base of the jersey, maybe do a smooth gradient to ease its transition; I would've done a double purple, lobbying for a darker purple in place of using black again. I also don't like the inverted color profile of the logo on the waistband. The sun flare appearances are always a nice nod to the infamous 90s set, but it just doesn't eclipse (see what I did there) that look.

The earned editions suck. But hey they're a bit better than the city editions so I'll give them that. I only really like Dallas, Houston, and Indiana. Milwaukee and SA are okay. 

All of them are extremely forgettable though. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I've never been as high on the Nets going subway theme as others -- I think sports team aesthetics are maybe the one place where Helvetica doesn't work, as evidenced by those old Nets logos from the 70s, and it's even worse on a jersey than in the logo. They've already done a good job taking inspiration from the subway (their standard wordmark looking like a vintage rollsign, multiple court designs inspired by subway tilework). This is too on-the-nose.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

Milwaukee: Out of the park. Way to go on utilizing the antlers in the fashion they did. I can excuse the limited use of black as a tertiary color here, but overall, this should pickup steam to stay in rotation after this season.

Agreed 100%.  I think in this case, using black as a minimal trim color works perfectly, and helps the wordmark and numbers pop a bit more.  This set is a home run.

Here’s the Blazers’ uniform breakdown for the first half of the season:

Total

Association (white): 15 games

Icon (black): 10 games

Statement (red): 8 games

City (brown): 4 games

Home

Association: 9 games

Icon: 4 games

Statement: 4 games 

City: 2 games

Away

Association: 6 games

Icon: 6 games

Statement: 4 games

City: 2 games

Happy to see the classic white and black sets being worn for about 2/3 of the games, with the reds being worn for an appropriate amount of games as well. A bit surprised to see the brown City uniforms only being worn 4 times in the first half of the season, but they’ll probably get some more run out in the second half along with a few games for the silver Earned uniforms. 

I was curious about the Lakers’ uniform breakdown, so here’s that as well:

Total

Association (white): 3 games

Icon (yellow): 20 games

Statement (purple): 5 games

City (white): 4 games
Classic (blue): 5 games

Home

Association (white): 1 game

Icon (yellow): 8 games

Statement (purple): 4 games

City (white): 2 games
Classic (blue): 4 games

Away

Association (white): 2 games

Icon (yellow): 12 games

Statement (purple): 1 game

Classic (blue): 1 game

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

19 hours ago, Cujo said:

Nuggets with another W 🎯🎯🎯

EpUwG7QU8AAIrUx?format=jpg&name=900x900

Whoa, Nuggets' been destroying with the jersey game this offseason! Really sweet! Also, this is the first time a logo on the chest design works perfectly with a number.

Several of these Earned unis are decent proper alternates that should exist in place of the City unis, for some teams that got both, at least. I shouldn't like the Celtics multiple green look, but for some reason it works perfectly. Bucks' is a valid solution, it only remains to be seen whether the antlers are depicted in too bold a way to look balanced as a whole. Regardless, not using white on the green uni together with cream makes the colorway a lot more attractive, and should be applied to the primary uni too. 

There are also some real head-scratchers like Clippers and Blazers and some why-even-bother in Mavs and Spurs. OKC has yet to design a proper uniform. The Nets' doesn't do anything to me, not feeling the bland Helvetica look and never had. The Raptors might have something there that should've been explored for their main uni designs. Lakers' black looks like a proper black alternate of theirs, and generates that excitement that alternates used to generate back in the day when they were mainly color swaps. Not sure the Suns' design was entirely thought out.

The Nets' alternate court is nice indeed tho.

17 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

these are all terrible.. i can’t believe you guys/gals are into this brand dilution nonsense. an irredeemable, brand damaging cash grab, all of them.

i know that may sound dramatic, but branding, team identities, team’s visual histories are currently just a total mess. looking at classic game photos or videos 50 (or whatever) years from now, we’re going to see teams wearing 5 different disparate uniforms, just totally convoluted and disorganized.. and amateur. at least today when you watch old footage, you can immediately tell which teams are playing - even in the era of alternate jerseys, before jerseys went completely off the rails like they are now, there was some tie-in to the standard home/away look (not this icon/association or whatever BS.. how dumb do they think we are)

years and years of brand equity down the drain so they can get a few thousand dip :censored: 14 year olds replying “🔥” on their team’s insta stories

what a shame. i don’t consider myself a ‘get off my lawn’ kind of guy, but i guess i am when it comes to this particular topic because it’s something i’m clearly maybe too passionate about, haha

There are several decent on-brand unis among these Earned ones, otherwise I share your thoughts completely.

13 minutes ago, Krz said:

Suns tracker on IG, posted this presumably for NBAs 75th next year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI36f4TlqKB/?igshid=fyned6759eu5

Yikes, hope not. I like mashing up eras in general, but only if it’s two eras maximum. Three or more tends to complicate a concept and forces things too much. This Suns uniform is a prime example of the Frankenstein-ish disaster you can come to when you throw everything onto the table.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yikes, hope not. I like mashing up eras in general, but only if it’s two eras maximum. Three or more tends to complicate a concept and forces things too much. This Suns uniform is a prime example of the Frankenstein-ish disaster you can come to when you throw everything onto the table.

Yeah, the Nash era circle makes it a little too much for me too. I think Phoenix is a best case scenario team too, this won’t work for other teams (especially the thunder).

Excellent!

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I was curious about the Lakers’ uniform breakdown, so here’s that as well:

Total

Association (white): 3 games

Icon (yellow): 20 games

Statement (purple): 5 games

City (white): 4 games
Classic (blue): 5 games

Home

Association (white): 1 game

Icon (yellow): 8 games

Statement (purple): 4 games

Classic (blue): 4 games

Away

Association (white): 2 games

Icon (yellow): 12 games

Statement (purple): 1 game

Classic (blue): 1 game

So the Lakers will mostly be wearing their traditional gold home and Sunday white home uniforms at away games and their traditional purple away and classic blue away jerseys at home games. The same franchise that puts out a "Lore Series" City Edition uniform every season turns around and waters down their customs like this. And for what? Where is the level of care for their own brand and history?

Whoa now this is gonna get crazy. Now I'm curious what the pelicans would do since theres really not much history when it comes to jerseys with them. Only been 3 sets so far I believe. Pelicans have always had the same set, with their other 2 sets being from the hornets era so idk how they would merge those but we'll see 

IMG-7122.gif

Archived