NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

14 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

The ONLY reason why people cant tell who's playing is because the scorebugs only show the team's main color.  If the Bulls are in black and gold, the scorebug should be black with the gold logo.  If the Lakers are in their city edition, the scorebug should be white with a blue logo.

Have the scorebugs match the uniforms and everything is fine.

People know the bulls as red and black, no amount of changing the score bugs is going to make people think their black and red team is the team wearing orange black and gold

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/31/2021 at 12:26 PM, walkerws said:

In my opinion the worst Celtics looks are the shoe horned black. 

Same can be said for the Lakers. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

9 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

People know the bulls as red and black, no amount of changing the score bugs is going to make people think their black and red team is the team wearing orange black and gold

So take their past city editions that were sky blue.  You think people are gonna be confused when the Bulls are wearing sky blue and the scorebug is sky blue too?  No.  But they will if the scorebug is still black when the uniform is sky blue.

The city and editions are here, and they'll be here for awhile.  You old heads can complain all you want but im proposing a super easy fix with zero downside.  

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

15 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

So take their past city editions that were sky blue.  You think people are gonna be confused when the Bulls are wearing sky blue and the scorebug is sky blue too?  No.  But they will if the scorebug is still black when the uniform is sky blue.

The city and editions are here, and they'll be here for awhile.  You old heads can complain all you want but im proposing a super easy fix with zero downside.  

Even then, people still have to get use to the colors being deferent and trying to figure out who is who. People might not even think it’s an NBA game but a NCAA game without having a close up look of the jerseys and players to show the team name. And the different courts are making it even worse.

1 hour ago, itsmb8 said:

You're talking about a fix to connect the scores to the respective squads playing, but not to tell, who the teams are. I, for one, never look at the scorebug to know who is playing. I look at the players and the uniforms, and I like to figure it right away. Just as who is the home team and who is the visitor. That scorebug is an issue which wouldn't even exist if the teams wore their brand.

If it wasn't for us "old heads", the games would still be played in sleeved uniforms. Just because some novelties are introduced, doesn't mean no judgement or rationale should be applied and no conclusions should be made on what works and what doesn't to maintain the best and most functional product.

18 hours ago, Digby said:

I have no problems with alternates, even more than one, but I think Lakers-Celtics should stick to their default looks and keep the historic throughline back to Bird/Magic and even the latter years of Russell/West. There are 400something possible matchups of NBA teams and maybe like 10 that are historic enough to shy away from alternates as a rule, it’s not exactly a big stubborn ask. Alternates are great for random February games against Minnesota, sure.

I loved the alternates, when there used to be one set that was used every then and now and they were recolors of the primary sets with small tweaks most of the time, still being totally on brand. That rare use and the same template only with swapped colors made them special and exciting to see being worn.

It started going downhill for me when the Wizards introduced their black and gold alternates that, while being on brand, weren't good and totally deviated from the template of their primary sets. Also, the LeBron Cavs abused their navy ones during the playoffs, all while the primary wines were superior.

5 hours ago, Digby said:

The NBA could introduce a second basketball to live play and there’d be 15% of fans saying the game was boring anyway and old heads need to get with the times.

These "new dudes" and their short attention spans will accept ANYTHING that is new, as long as it is flashy.  They get bored TOO easily.

SMH

16 hours ago, dont care said:

Even then, people still have to get use to the colors being deferent and trying to figure out who is who. People might not even think it’s an NBA game but a NCAA game without having a close up look of the jerseys and players to show the team name. And the different courts are making it even worse.

15 hours ago, truepg said:

You're talking about a fix to connect the scores to the respective squads playing, but not to tell, who the teams are. I, for one, never look at the scorebug to know who is playing. I look at the players and the uniforms, and I like to figure it right away. Just as who is the home team and who is the visitor. That scorebug is an issue which wouldn't even exist if the teams wore their brand.

If it wasn't for us "old heads", the games would still be played in sleeved uniforms. Just because some novelties are introduced, doesn't mean no judgement or rationale should be applied and no conclusions should be made on what works and what doesn't to maintain the best and most functional product.

How difficult is it to read the damn scorebug that says "Bulls" and "Hornets" with a sky blue background for the Bulls and a teal background for the Hornets.  You read "Bulls" and "Hornets" and you immediately recognize its an NBA game.  You see the sky blue and teal, look at the uniforms for a split second, and its obvious who is who.

This is literally what the UFC does, where fighters dont even have a brand or color to associate with.  

This isnt changing the entire game like a second ball would do (which everyone would hate).  This is literally just about looks, and what i suggested is an easy fix THAT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE.  

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

5 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

How difficult is it to read the damn scorebug that says "Bulls" and "Hornets" with a sky blue background for the Bulls and a teal background for the Hornets.  You read "Bulls" and "Hornets" and you immediately recognize its an NBA game.  You see the sky blue and teal, look at the uniforms for a split second, and its obvious who is who.

It has nothing to do with being "difficult", it's that there shouldn't be any need to look specifically at the scorebug to figure out who's playing. While the league is keeping up that mess, sure, go ahead and match the scorebug to the random off-brand colors that are being worn at that particular moment, to easen the situation they have created themselves.

This is literally what the UFC does, where fighters dont even have a brand or color to associate with.

Well, NBA teams do have brands, most of them well-established over time, some of them classic. And that's the number one instrument of instant recognition, first and foremost.

i find it utterly baffling that anyone is defending the nba's convoluted, gluttonous on-court identity program. i mean, i am personally offended the league has truly :censored: all over any semblance of the visual identities and traditions that were a part of what made me fall in love with the sport + the league.

the yearly disparate new uniforms for every single :censored:ing team make it abundantly clear the nba's front office doesn't care about you, the fan - your respect for the league's history or your loyalty to your favorite team's theoretical brand (i have a connection to the knicks' orange and blue, not KITH brand and black) - they only care about your wallets. 

as other nba die-hards on here have mentioned, it is borderline impossible to simply turn on a game and see who is playing at a glance. that is straight up bush league. why defend the indefensible?

yes, a more accurate scorebug could theoretically make it a fraction of a second quicker to solve this bewildering issue (why am i arguing that it shouldn't be difficult to know which teams are playing when i turn on the tv?). for people who read about the league on a daily basis, watch highlights every morning, and will make an effort to catch a game every few days (to say nothing of the casual fan), it shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

maybe it makes me an "old head" (wut?) to want teams to ensure today's branding maintains some, however small, connective through-line to their past. but, sure, because it happens to be the year 2021 (which, uh.. doesn't matter), "old heads" (wut?) just need to get over it. i'm not even that old! haha.

not to mention 90% of the statement or earned (did i get the nonsensical naming conventions right?) look like ass.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:17 PM, itsmb8 said:

The ONLY reason why people cant tell who's playing is because the scorebugs only show the team's main color.  If the Bulls are in black and gold, the scorebug should be black with the gold logo.  If the Lakers are in their city edition, the scorebug should be white with a blue logo.

Have the scorebugs match the uniforms and everything is fine.

Local broadcasts are really good with this.

GYgE4JtoSIsabZK-?format=jpg&name=small

The problem is networks like ESPN and TNT barely even try to keep up and as a result it can get stupid and jarring. I don't mind the uniforms but if the networks aren't gonna cover this properly then I don't know.

Also another thing to remember, if an NBA jersey says Chicago on it and it's a different color? It's clearly the Bulls, I don't know who else it could be... do people suddenly think Adam Silver allowed an expansion team mid season? Come on. Hey atleast we have on screen graphics to tell you who's who now, back before the NFL on Fox introduced the scorebug in 1994 there wasn't anything at all. You had to just sit and watch to figure out who's who and the score of the game.

bSLCtu2.png

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The problem is networks like ESPN and TNT barely even try to keep up and as a result it can get stupid and jarring. I don't mind the uniforms but if the networks aren't gonna cover this properly then I don't know.

Also another thing to remember, if a jersey says Chicago on it and it's a different color? It's clearly the Bulls, I don't know who else it could be... do people suddenly think Adam Silver allowed an expansion team mid season? Come on.

It could just as easily be a college game is the point. With even alternate courts it becomes increasingly hard.

24 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Also another thing to remember, if an NBA jersey says Chicago on it and it's a different color? It's clearly the Bulls, I don't know who else it could be... do people suddenly think Adam Silver allowed an expansion team mid season? Come on. 

can you see the "ORL" or "Raptors" on the jerseys in the screenshot?

23 hours ago, Digby said:

The NBA could introduce a second basketball to live play and there’d be 15% of fans saying the game was boring anyway and old heads need to get with the times.

Yes, they should.... 

33_6549A_lg.jpeg

I saw, I came, I left.

When were the first alternate jerseys release? Early 90s? Hornets Purple and Pistons Red? Like 93-94? 

That's been almost 30 years!! Imagine people back then having their heads explode because they moved away from "tradition", I love this thread and the history of the aesthetics of the sport. Times change, technology change, you guys expect the same old "home, away, alternate, and throwback"?

I like the funky colors, funky court, as long as we still have Lakers yellow and Celtic green, I don't care if we have 5 other radical uniforms. 

Its 2021 people, we are in the future, accept change and move ahead with the times. I LOVED the Nets court last night with the Basquiat court, yes its not their traditional boring black/white but that's cool, because Im not a grumpy 90 year old. 

The NBA plays a 82 game schedule, if 50% of the games divert from the traditional home white vs away color then so what? Its a long season and we have multiple chances to experiment and at the same time the other 50% of the games are the traditional. 

Accept change and accept the NBA is moving forward that's it. 

also, you guys hated the sleeve jerseys? I LOVED THEM!!!! I cant wait for them to come back so I can see you antiquated people heads explode. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, andregunts said:

When were the first alternate jerseys release? Early 90s? Hornets Purple and Pistons Red? Like 93-94? 

That's been almost 30 years!! Imagine people back then having their heads explode because they moved away from "tradition", I love this thread and the history of the aesthetics of the sport. Times change, technology change, you guys expect the same old "home, away, alternate, and throwback"?

I like the funky colors, funky court, as long as we still have Lakers yellow and Celtic green, I don't care if we have 5 other radical uniforms. 

Its 2021 people, we are in the future, accept change and move ahead with the times. I LOVED the Nets court last night with the Basquiat court, yes its not their traditional boring black/white but that's cool, because Im not a grumpy 90 year old. 

also, you guys hated the sleeve jerseys? I LOVED THEM!!!! I cant wait for them to come back so I can see you antiquated people heads explode. 

Preach! ✊

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

14 minutes ago, andregunts said:

A lot of people here have great appreciation for traditional looks, and I can't fault people for wanting a sensible system that works for branding. It's not like people dislike these changes for no reason, it's diluting brands and making teams less distinct, which is ironic when you are trying to come up with new original designs. But yes, a lot of comments come off as grumpy old men yelling at clouds.

And hey, these aren't going to be the last changes to the aesthetic of the NBA, but each league handles this differently. NFL has a one helmet rule. The NHL is not nearly as alt crazy. The MLB is fairly traditional still, especially given the number of games they could spread out a litany of looks like this. So preferring a more traditional NBA is not simply fighting inevitable change, IMO. I mean, if you don't like the look of a t-shirt jersey, that doesn't make you a 90-year-old, lots of young people hated that look too. Ads are a change, does that make them good as well?

Personally, I am fine with experimentation and new things, I just wish they maintained some tradition as well. Having a primary set makes sense, even if you're also doing an orange Magic jersey or whatever. I'm on board with alternate court designs though, that is pretty much always cool to me and it makes sense to match your look to your home court.

Archived