SportsLogos.Net News

NBA Changes 2020/21

19 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

Even though I don’t like it, I could accept a lot of this, but not the frequency, which is what I think most of the “old heads” biggest complaint is. There’s absolutely no reason beyond trying to increase sales that these jerseys (most of which aren’t even good) need to be used so often. 20-25% of the time, tops. Not the 50% or more it feels like we’re getting now.

I think there would be value in keeping the City jerseys to a week or two. Make it an event, a la MLB Players Weekend. (And don’t make that event Christmas Day, which is it’s own thing.) You can of course sell the alternate merch lines year-round, but provides a setting for the on-court weirdness and doesn’t dilute the teams’ usual brands nearly as much.

Remember when the Hardwood Classics programs typically stuck to a month?

2 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

i mean, if you're going to respond to our (valid) criticisms and frustrations with a blanket response of "you're old and times change" + can't see the difference between what the pistons, hornets, and others were doing with alternates in the 90s to what is happening today, then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

you can enjoy whatever the hell pelicans wearing city flag pinnies vs. the bucks in multiple shades of blue is supposed to be and i'll continue to be bummed about the league trashing their aesthetic history and tradition for a quick buck. 

I couldn't agree more bucky.

11 Band Merch Ideas Proven To Boost Sales, Fan Loyalty, and Excitement

1 hour ago, Digby said:

huh, a new and different jersey that smartly builds upon an established brand without compromising it, what a concept.

The NBA had a period of using alts to transition into new identities (or maybe I'm misremembering -- there's been a lot of jerseys!).

The Utah Red Rocks and Miami Vice and the current mint Hornets City uniforms are strong enough to replace the existing brands; in an older NBA they would have. Now they can't.

The City program isn't all bad but it definitely needs to be toned down a bit. The pace of change in MLS can feel too slow at times, but probably is a good fit for the NBA. New jerseys are allowed every year, but also need to stick around for two. Each team having home/road plus a two-year alt would help a ton with all of the clutter and the weirdness.

3 hours ago, andregunts said:

its 2021!!!!! Lol 

the NBA has jerseys to sell. You think “Atlanta” or “Hawks” in the same template will sell every single season in the same color? 

Man stop with the complaining man. 

“It’s 2021” is a good argument against racial inequality, not uniform design.

5 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

i mean, if you're going to respond to our (valid) criticisms and frustrations with a blanket response of "you're old and times change" + can't see the difference between what the pistons, hornets, and others were doing with alternates in the 90s to what is happening today, then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

you can enjoy whatever the hell pelicans wearing city flag pinnies vs. the bucks in multiple shades of blue is supposed to be and i'll continue to be bummed about the league trashing their aesthetic history and tradition for a quick buck. 

This. Thank you. Took the words out of my mouth.

Also, am I considered an old head, when I'm still younger than the league's current most seasoned household stars?

The NBA is also inadvertently shooting itself in the foot considering that it is by far the sport where it would be easiest for the players to break away and start their own league, which is occasionally floated out as something the players, already by far in the league where they have the most power, might do. And the strength of their brand might be one of the biggest reasons why they wouldn’t do it. By diluting their brand they’re making the case for the players that people would watch a black and gold Chicago or a Vice colors Miami  if the good players played there

5 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

The NBA is also inadvertently shooting itself in the foot considering that it is by far the sport where it would be easiest for the players to break away and start their own league, which is occasionally floated out as something the players, already by far in the league where they have the most power, might do. And the strength of their brand might be one of the biggest reasons why they wouldn’t do it. By diluting their brand they’re making the case for the players that people would watch a black and gold Chicago Gangsters or a Vice colors Miami Drug Lords if the good players played there

At first I liked this, but then I took away the like because of "Gangsters" and "Drug Lords." WTF?

12 hours ago, andregunts said:

also, you guys hated the sleeve jerseys? I LOVED THEM!!!! I cant wait for them to come back so I can see you antiquated people heads explode.

To be honest with you. I myself prefer to play in sleeves shirts but on the other hand I wasn't a big fan of sleeves jerseys in NBA mostly because of their bad execution (and looks really weird in a pro game). Ok there were a few good designs that I like to this day like Clippers nautical or Suns Noche Latina but most of them were bad and convertion from sleeveless to sleeves like Rip City, Spurs & Raptors Camo, Bulls Alternate, Lakers Hollywood, Motor City or St. Pats day jerseys were even worse.
We also need to remember that most players complained about them, so is wasn't like only fans hated sleeves. IIRC revenues wasn't good either (shirsey are cheaper) so decision to abandon them was good.

P.S: I still don't understand how adidas could miss an opportunity to release probably the only sleeves jersey that would make a sense. Of course I mean this one:

1946-47Celtics.jpeg

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

At first I liked this, but then I took away the like because of "Gangsters" and "Drug Lords." WTF?

Sorry, I was thinking of the theme of those jerseys and the Art Deco buildings recalling the prohibition era and Miami Vice look inspired by the TV show, wasn’t really thinking of how it sounded as names for a player owned league. Edited the team names out

12 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

Sorry, I was thinking of the theme of those jerseys and the Art Deco buildings recalling the prohibition era and Miami Vice look inspired by the TV show, wasn’t really thinking of how it sounded as names for a player owned league. Edited the team names out

Appreciate that!

15 hours ago, QCS said:

Just because it's 2021, doesn't mean we should tear down iconic brands. And you've proven my point: it's ultimately about money, nothing more.

I'm not saying that each team should share the same template at all, in fact, I love when teams differentiate themselves (Hornets' pinstripes, Bulls' diamond shorts, etc.). What I am saying is that I dislike how disjointed teams' identities have become. In regards to jersey sales, none of the other Big 4 leagues use a similar disposable jersey system yet their jersey sales still bring in more than enough money.

And I like some of these jerseys. I love the Utah red rocks and the Miami Vice, but there's too much crap to make this brand dilution worth it. Teams are selling out for money and I don't like it.

Everyone knows it's all about money.  But personally, i dont get the "tearing down brands" point from everyone here.  The Lakers still wear yellow, white, and purple (the black side sucks, but that's a completely other story).  The Celtics still wear white and green.  The Knicks, still white and blue with orange.  The Bulls still wear white red and black.  

The City and Earned editions aren't teams tearing down brands, they're opportunities for teams to wear something different occasionally.  If teams were only wearing home, away, alternate, fans of any kind would buy one jersey and be done for a good 4-6 years at least.  The uniform matchups get old.

This is the way teams STOP rebranding completely every couple years.  Their brands dont get old because they keep providing a new option every year.

The city edition is basically the same concept as the NHL's Reverse Retro or MLB's holiday specialty uniforms.  The NHL is honoring throwbacks with a fresh look, the MLB honors national holidays with ballcaps or jerseys designed with those in mind, and the NBA is honoring ideas or monuments that are key to their city.

I honestly just dont get it tbh.  This happens in every sport and nobody really has an issue, except right here in this thread.

29 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Everyone knows it's all about money.  But personally, i dont get the "tearing down brands" point from everyone here.  The Lakers still wear yellow, white, and purple (the black side sucks, but that's a completely other story).  The Celtics still wear white and green.  The Knicks, still white and blue with orange.  The Bulls still wear white red and black.  

The City and Earned editions aren't teams tearing down brands, they're opportunities for teams to wear something different occasionally.  If teams were only wearing home, away, alternate, fans of any kind would buy one jersey and be done for a good 4-6 years at least.  The uniform matchups get old.

This is the way teams STOP rebranding completely every couple years.  Their brands dont get old because they keep providing a new option every year.

The city edition is basically the same concept as the NHL's Reverse Retro or MLB's holiday specialty uniforms.  The NHL is honoring throwbacks with a fresh look, the MLB honors national holidays with ballcaps or jerseys designed with those in mind, and the NBA is honoring ideas or monuments that are key to their city.

I honestly just dont get it tbh.  This happens in every sport and nobody really has an issue, except right here in this thread.

But the other leagues limit major departures from team brands to special dates and occasions. The NHL RR sets are based on established team looks, and the MLB specialty uniforms mainly tweak caps and jersey numbers. Even baseball's comparatively crazy "Players Weekend" was a 3-4 game set in the middle of a 162-game marathon.

Meanwhile, the NBA decided its 2019 champion with a game between a red "NORTH" and a daaaaarrk grey team from "THE TOWN" on a blue and yellow "GOLDEN STATE" court:

spacer.png

It makes zero branding sense for a league's crowning moment to look like this. The Finals should never be considered an occasional "opportunity for teams to wear something different." This pervasiveness is the problem.

Now, if the NBA wants to dedicate specific days to the City program, I'm down. Let each team pick 1-2 home games per month to show some civic pride. But the Grizzlies shouldn't wear black in San Antonio, and the Finals should never look like the above again.

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

No it isn't. A big chunk of games (if not a good half already?) in the NBA is played in different off-brand looks, and the matchups hardly ever are what you'd expect them to be anymore.

Also, honoring someone can and used to be done by putting a patch on a uniform, not replacing the team name on the jersey. I know that the league is trying to grab as many $$$ as possible, but they have to find the right balance and a reasonable way to do it.

1 hour ago, YELDARBfield said:

If teams were only wearing home, away, alternate, fans of any kind would buy one jersey and be done for a good 4-6 years at least.

Well, that's the ideal scenario for us fans.

1 hour ago, YELDARBfield said:

But the other leagues limit major departures from team brands to special dates and occasions. The NHL RR sets are based on established team looks, and the MLB specialty uniforms mainly tweak caps and jersey numbers. Even baseball's comparatively crazy "Players Weekend" was a 3-4 game set in the middle of a 162-game marathon.

Meanwhile, the NBA decided its 2019 champion with a game between a red "NORTH" and a daaaaarrk grey team from "THE TOWN" on a blue and yellow "GOLDEN STATE" court:

It makes zero branding sense for a league's crowning moment to look like this. The Finals should never be considered an occasional "opportunity for teams to wear something different." This pervasiveness is the problem.

Now, if the NBA wants to dedicate specific days to the City program, I'm down. Let each team pick 1-2 home games per month to show some civic pride. But the Grizzlies shouldn't wear black in San Antonio, and the Finals should never look like the above again.

That exactly. Even though I don't have anything against that Raptors uni per se, and it was still on brand.

My problem isn't with the number of uniforms. My biggest issue lies in the fact that these teams can wear them all 82 games if they wanted to do so. The NFL at least puts a limit on games that teams can wear their alternates.

The biggest issue I have is that the uniform schedule is all over the place and makes no sense. The NBA dictates what is worn now and it's completely random, they show zero logic in how they schedule any of it. It's out of teams hands and so you get dumb things like the Lakers wearing white on the road on a Tuesday.

They should have never dropped the Home and Away designation. I wouldn't care so much if I knew that you would either get the home uniform or the alternate uniform at home like it use to be before Nike came in.. Now you can ALL UNIFORMS at home. That's stupid. I'm all for alternates but now nothing seems to be a true designated uniform. This is the only major sports league in America that does this. Why? NFL doesn't, NHL doesn't, MLB doesn't, so what's the deal? It's not innovative, it's just irritating.

7 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Another level headed human being here, thank you 

I'll admit that watching a city uniform on another team's court looks weird, especially with the latest heat look.

In conclusion, you people in here really LOVE your traditional uniform schedules. You want Lakers to wear traditional jerseys 90% of the time and Celtic the same, give us a little something different and all heads rolls here man.

I cant wait to see the day that its Lakers vs Celtics in the finals with Celtics wearing rainbow color sleeved alternates at home with a all Throwback court and Lakers wear yellow with a black side panel down the side in Boston.

oh man you people in here would die