NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

25 minutes ago, andregunts said:

In conclusion, you people in here really LOVE your traditional uniform schedules. You want Lakers to wear traditional jerseys 90% of the time and Celtic the same, give us a little something different and all heads rolls here man.

I cant wait to see the day that its Lakers vs Celtics in the finals with Celtics wearing rainbow color sleeved alternates at home with a all Throwback court and Lakers wear yellow with a black side panel down the side in Boston.

oh man you people in here would die 

Hey man, I totally get that you like these jerseys. That's totally ok! I'm glad you can enjoy these different looks and I wish I was able to as well. However, for myself and many others here, we dislike seeing alternates that don't adhere the our team's established brand and what we expect our team to look like. In addition, it can be tough to determine who's playing if teams aren't using their traditional colors and that's a real issue, especially for those who don't keep up with the yearly uniform designs like we do. For example, someone complained about the Lakers wearing blue against the 76ers on the Sixers' majority-blue court, which is an issue.

As I've said before, I really like some of the City jerseys. Every Miami Vice uniform (even the gradient one), Utah's red rocks, Charlotte's mint unis (even though they shouldn't say Buzz City), Spurs' fiesta unis, etc. I also personally don't mind teams wearing colors at home (in fact, I prefer it), but it comes to one thing: consistency. There's no consistency is when teams wear these uniforms and where. Teams wear white and colors at home regularly, teams wear off-brand City jerseys on the road, teams don't look like themselves anymore. Nike's yearly jersey system has ruined any sense of cohesion among teams' sets and it negatively affects their brand.

For example, let's look at the Hornets, because I know them the best: Their "Icon" and "Association" jerseys are color swaps of each other, using double pinstripes. The Icon reads "Charlotte" and the Association reads "Hornets". They're in teal and purple, the color scheme the Hornets are known for. They look like the Hornets. Their "Statement" is a holdover from the old set, reading "CHA" and featuring a completely different design from the two primary jerseys. They still look like the Hornets, but it's disconnected from the main set. Finally, the "City" jersey is in Mint, Gold, and Graphite, a completely different color scheme from what the Hornets have established. It reads "Buzz City", which you have to understand the reference to in order to understand that it's the Charlotte team, in addition to pinstripes, which are done differently from the main set. There's no cohesion, it seems like you have three different jersey sets mashed together.

Again, I'm not trying to undermine or devalue your appreciation for these jerseys, it's totally ok to like them. But to simply reduce our opinions to "old head traditionalists that hate change" is simply wrong. I can't speak for everyone that agrees with me, but when I watch my team play, I want them to look like my team, with cohesive colors and design elements.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The biggest issue I have is that the uniform schedule is all over the place and makes no sense. The NBA dictates what is worn now and it's completely random, they show zero logic in how they schedule any of it. It's out of teams hands and so you get dumb things like the Lakers wearing white on the road on a Tuesday.

They should have never dropped the Home and Away designation. I wouldn't care so much if I knew that you would either get the home uniform or the alternate uniform at home like it use to be before Nike came in.. Now you can ALL UNIFORMS at home. That's stupid. I'm all for alternates but now nothing seems to be a true designated uniform. This is the only major sports league in America that does this. Why? NFL doesn't, NHL doesn't, MLB doesn't, so what's the deal? It's not innovative, it's just irritating.

When they dropped home and way designation I thought it would more work like soccer where teams would have a primary uniform and would only wear the alternates when they needed a clash. Like let's say the Lakers would start wearing yellow on the road when playing teams wearing colored uniforms. Obviously teams would still wear alternates at home sometimes like Lakers wearing white on sundays. Just some way to keep some tradition and better guidelines. 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Again, I'm not trying to undermine or devalue your appreciation for these jerseys, it's totally ok to like them. But to simply reduce our opinions to "old head traditionalists that hate change" is simply wrong. I can't speak for everyone that agrees with me, but when I watch my team play, I want them to look like my team, with cohesive colors and design elements.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone on these boards is entitled to their own opinions and that will obviously lead to occasional debate. However, too often lately there has been simple mockery and bashing of both viewpoints. I myself have always loved the City program (or at the very least, its concept). As someone that collects jerseys, it's fun to see new uniforms come out every year, that's why a majority of my current collection is soccer kits. My favorite thing is when they're unique and tied to local imagery, history, etc. After all going into creative direction especially at a company like Nike is my dream job. While I love many of the City uniforms since they were first rolled out, I also think some are godawful. That goes for alternates in other leagues as well.

That's not to say I don't agree that I prefer certain teams or matchups keep to their traditions and history. I believe there are some teams that should sprinkle in their alternates from time to time and stick to their main uniforms for the majority of the season. I understand that there is going to be clashing, and some people may have unpopular opinions, I've definitely been part of that group in the past. In the end, we're all on these boards for a basic common interest in the appreciation of aesthetics of logos and uniforms. So have a laugh yourself if someone likes a jersey you think is the epitome of awful, but try and avoid dismissing and/diminishing them as someone that lives too much in the past or someone that doesn't appreciate the heritage of a team. 

Again, I'm not calling anyone out in general, I have been on both sides of this and love hearing what people think about those logos/uniforms whether or not we agree. I just don't love seeing people go after one another if they disagree. It goes from occasionally funny to playground insults too often.

Rant over, still looking forward to seeing more of the Earned editions in real life.

1 hour ago, dannykraft said:

When they dropped home and way designation I thought it would more work like soccer where teams would have a primary uniform and would only wear the alternates when they needed a clash. Like let's say the Lakers would start wearing yellow on the road when playing teams wearing colored uniforms. Obviously teams would still wear alternates at home sometimes like Lakers wearing white on sundays. Just some way to keep some tradition and better guidelines. 

It's really inexcusable for another team to wear yellow at Staples Center:

USATSI_13663009-854x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Hey man, I totally get that you like these jerseys. That's totally ok! I'm glad you can enjoy these different looks and I wish I was able to as well. However, for myself and many others here, we dislike seeing alternates that don't adhere the our team's established brand and what we expect our team to look like. In addition, it can be tough to determine who's playing if teams aren't using their traditional colors and that's a real issue, especially for those who don't keep up with the yearly uniform designs like we do. For example, someone complained about the Lakers wearing blue against the 76ers on the Sixers' majority-blue court, which is an issue.

As I've said before, I really like some of the City jerseys. Every Miami Vice uniform (even the gradient one), Utah's red rocks, Charlotte's mint unis (even though they shouldn't say Buzz City), Spurs' fiesta unis, etc. I also personally don't mind teams wearing colors at home (in fact, I prefer it), but it comes to one thing: consistency. There's no consistency is when teams wear these uniforms and where. Teams wear white and colors at home regularly, teams wear off-brand City jerseys on the road, teams don't look like themselves anymore. Nike's yearly jersey system has ruined any sense of cohesion among teams' sets and it negatively affects their brand.

For example, let's look at the Hornets, because I know them the best: Their "Icon" and "Association" jerseys are color swaps of each other, using double pinstripes. The Icon reads "Charlotte" and the Association reads "Hornets". They're in teal and purple, the color scheme the Hornets are known for. They look like the Hornets. Their "Statement" is a holdover from the old set, reading "CHA" and featuring a completely different design from the two primary jerseys. They still look like the Hornets, but it's disconnected from the main set. Finally, the "City" jersey is in Mint, Gold, and Graphite, a completely different color scheme from what the Hornets have established. It reads "Buzz City", which you have to understand the reference to in order to understand that it's the Charlotte team, in addition to pinstripes, which are done differently from the main set. There's no cohesion, it seems like you have three different jersey sets mashed together.

Very well put together argument and I do agree to a certain extent that you want your team to look like "your team" and some sort of cohesion with the uniforms. Now, I think you were streching it when you mentioned that (using your example) the Hornets don't have cohesive set?  Does this beautiful jersey below need to be the exact same color as the primary colors? Wouldn't anyone with a half a brain know "Buzz City" along with the pinstripes mean the Charlotte Hornets?

spacer.png

Th only example where it seems like they didn't care about anything was the first alternate Thunder jersey they had, which was an abomination, other than that I think the NBA has gotten it right about 90% of the time

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

Very well put together argument and I do agree to a certain extent that you want your team to look like "your team" and some sort of cohesion with the uniforms. Now, I think you were streching it when you mentioned that (using your example) the Hornets don't have cohesive set?  Does this beautiful jersey below need to be the exact same color as the primary colors? Wouldn't anyone with a half a brain know "Buzz City" along with the pinstripes mean the Charlotte Hornets?

spacer.png

Th only example where it seems like they didn't care about anything was the first alternate Thunder jersey they had, which was an abomination, other than that I think the NBA has gotten it right about 90% of the time

spacer.png

It's pretty easy to cherry pick examples to make your point, which is exactly what you did here. 

You're right on Charlotte. While it's not in the traditional colors, it's at least in a color that says something about the city, and is using a template that resembles the base Hornets uniforms. So yes, there's a semblance of cohesion there. 

But they're one of the rare examples that actually works. 

You can't throw that out there but ignore the Nets going full Basquiat or the Bucks deciding they're a blue team for a quarter of their games or -- to me, the worst offenders  -- the Bulls and their art deco art project and the Mavericks' homage to the Solid Gold dancers. (That's an "old head" reference in case it's lost on anyone.)

So the math doesn't really add up on the NBA getting it right 90% of the time. 

4 minutes ago, andregunts said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes it isn’t cohesive because you can’t read that it says “buzz city” (which is something that isn’t even a true nickname for Charlotte but that’s another argument) or the pin stripes until you get a close up shot. I should be able to instantly tell who the teams are without that, with out needing to look at score bugs. You should be able to identify the teams instantly from a hard cam shot and not have to piece everything together or your brand is inherently weaker because of it.

18 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's really inexcusable for another team to wear yellow at Staples Center:

USATSI_13663009-854x1024.jpg

I think you guys are more concerned with tradition than the beauty of the game. Wasn't this a beautiful match up?

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It's pretty easy to cherry pick examples to make your point, which is exactly what you did here. 

You're right on Charlotte. While it's not in the traditional colors, it's at least in a color that says something about the city, and is using a template that resembles the base Hornets uniforms. So yes, there's a semblance of cohesion there. 

But they're one of the rare examples that actually works. 

You can't throw that out there but ignore the Nets going full Basquiat or the Bucks deciding they're a blue team for a quarter of their games or -- to me, the worst offenders  -- the Bulls and their art deco art project and the Mavericks' homage to the Solid Gold dancers. (That's an "old head" reference in case it's lost on anyone.)

So the math doesn't really add up on the NBA getting it right 90% of the time. 

Also, I was using the dudes example, he used Charlotte so I basically called him out. 

Those other examples are City uniforms, they are allowed to have 1 weird alternate that doesn't align perfectly. Its not the end of the world, you still have 3-4 jerseys to pick from. 

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

I think you guys are more concerned with tradition than the beauty of the game. Wasn't this a beautiful match up?

No, at first glance I thought that was a Lakers vs Kings game. I had to double take to see it wasn’t.

Just now, andregunts said:

Also, I was using the dudes example, he used Charlotte so I basically called him out. 

Those other examples are City uniforms, they are allowed to have 1 weird alternate that doesn't align perfectly. Its not the end of the world, you still have 3-4 jerseys to pick from. 

First off, in the hyperbole department, literally nobody —and this isn't hyperbole — is suggesting that this is the "end of the world." 

What's true is that many people here, myself included, believe that in fact, no, teams should not have "1 weird alternate that doesn't align perfectly." Whether they're called City, Statement, Suggestion, Question, or Quip Series jerseys isn't really relevant. The fact that you would even describe it as weird -- accurately so -- is the point. They're weird.

It's possible, then, to assign negative value to weird uniforms that bear no resemblance to a team's brand, but at the same time not think of it as, you know, world ending. 

14 minutes ago, andregunts said:

spacer.png

To answer your question, no, I don't think the Hornets have a cohesive set. Here's what they have:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Those are the four jerseys the Hornets are wearing this year. There is one thing that unifies these jerseys: the same font. That's it. And the Hornets got off lucky, many teams (Chicago, OKC, etc.) don't even get that. The teal and white jerseys have almost no purple, the purple jersey has a completely different design, and the mint one uses a different pinstripe design and is in completely different colors. And I agree, the mint jersey is nice and the pinstripes are a great touch that reconnect the jersey to the team.

Each jersey says a different thing on the front. Why? What is CHA? What is Buzz City? What's wrong with just putting Charlotte on the damn jersey? Imagine you're a prospective fan watching a game for the first time and you see the Hornets in their mint jerseys. Imagine the surprise when you realize that the team usually wears teal and purple. It's not representative of the team at all. Additionally, this is the first season since '02 when the Charlotte Hornets wore pinstripes on their main set, which is most likely longer ago than many of these fans were born. So no, I don't think anyone "with half a brain" automatically associates "Buzz City" and pinstripes with the Hornets, especially when it's not in their quote literally iconic colors.

So yes, a jersey should be in a team's primary colors. I should be able to tell what team is playing at a glance.

11 minutes ago, andregunts said:

You didn't call me out on anything, I maintain that Charlotte's uniforms are not cohesive. The four look like they come from three different jersey sets, because they do. The first two are the current primary jerseys, the Statement is a holdover from last year, and the mint is doing it's own thing.

I'll reiterate, because you don't seem to get it: Charlotte got off lucky, and I still think it sucks. We can compare to a team like Chicago or Brooklyn or Atlanta or Dallas or Milwaukee or Philadelphia or New York, who got this crap:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

These are all from this year. There's been garbage since 2018. At least a few of these teams got their city name on the front, others got nicknames and the Hawks got MLK. This doesn't look good.

All of these teams have established color schemes and every single one of them were thrown out the window for these jerseys. The Bulls, Sixers, and Knicks all got theirs in as accents and the Nets have black/gray as their main color (but none of the others on the side) and I guess blue is technically a Bucks color (but only the top one, iirc). The Hawks and Mavs got something completely disconnected from their brand.

And let's be clear: I prefer teams to connect to their city over their nickname. I think it more accurately represents that a team is a representative of the city and should act as such. However, most of these teams have identities separate from the city. My ideal NBA would have the city name on the roads like they should be and that's it, no stupid nicknames (especially unofficial ones, like Buzz City or Rip City), no anything else on the front (no logos, no state names, no "City Never Sleeps", no BKLYN, nothing like that).

Look, we're going to have to agree to disagree. But it's my opinion that teams are throwing away decades of brand identity to make a quick buck and it should stop.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I think this is the dumbest game of the year:

1200x0.jpg

• The Bulls look ridiculous
  • The Lakers are palette-swapped
  • The court doesn't match either team.

All of these looks are superior in every way:

maxresdefault.jpg

bullslakers.jpg

9083396.jpg

75968b659fddc6132166cfcba97cbb93_crop_ex

There's a wide variety of looks there, but fundamentally, you can tell it's Lakers vs. Bulls. That should be the most important thing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Bulls jersey doesn’t really make sense — it looks like someone who knows Chicago is an architectural mecca, but doesn’t actually know anything about it, so they picked colors and a font that they thought looked architecture-y. And Bulls jerseys don’t even need to nod to Chicago architecture! The Bulls are as much a piece of Chicago culture on their own. Just be the Bulls.

It’s all very “the food is terrible, and such small portions”.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I see this uniform program the NBA does and I feel they wanna be like soccer so badly with all these different colored alternatives but at least soccer teams keep their traditional colors at home. You'll never see Liverpool wear BLUE at home. 

Teams wear these alternatives so often with their different courts and it's just too much. Some of them look like they're suffering from an identity crisis. The Heat are an example. They're suppose to be a Red/Black team, not Blue/Pink.

XM4KeeA.png

I give up man, the NBA is changing guys, its a bit funkier and weirder. Enjoy the jerseys and courts we have, I really look forward to watching games because of this. If you need the same 3 or jerseys every single year and the same colors and courts then I don't know else to tell you guys. 

As I said the day that Its Celtics (Neon Pink) H vs Lakers (Yellow with big black stripe down the side) A in Boston with a Throwback Court is the day I will come in here and laugh at you guys, learn to embrace change my friends. Take care

3 minutes ago, andregunts said:

I give up man, the NBA is changing guys, its a bit funkier and weirder. Enjoy the jerseys and courts we have, I really look forward to watching games because of this. If you need the same 3 or jerseys every single year and the same colors and courts then I don't know else to tell you guys. 

As I said the day that Its Celtics (Neon Pink) H vs Lakers (Yellow with big black stripe down the side) A in Boston with a Throwback Court is the day I will come in here and laugh at you guys, learn to embrace change my friends. Take care

Who Is That Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Archived