SportsLogos.Net News

NBA Changes 2020/21

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

 

Image result for portland stag sign


I was aware of that, doesn't change the fact that I don't like it on the uniform.

EDIT: And btw, it's not Mistral-looking on that sign, rather more like the Bulls' Chicago script, and I can get behind that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 7:37 PM, sayahh said:

Let's be honest: if any team won a title wearing people's least favorite jerseys, it will at least become tolerable by some of that team's fans.

And THIS is why I’m staying the Rams (wrong league, I know) will win a Super Bowl with their current identity...and they’ll win it in the much maligned BONE JERSEYS. 😈

 

Also, thank god these are just a mock-up...but don’t give Nike any ideas! 🤢

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These Blazers' and Spurs' unis, for one, show how little time and proper effort is spent to churn out those new City designs every year. As if they slapped some kind of free font that somehow resembled the aesthetic they were going for, instead of designing a fitting wordmark for the look in particular. On the other hand, I admire the work that was put into the Grizzlies' City uniform ornament, but then again, the wordmark has the same issue of sticking out like not having been particularly designed (or adjusted to) for that look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, truepg said:

These Blazers' and Spurs' unis, for one, show how little time and proper effort is spent to churn out those new City designs every year. As if they slapped some kind of free font that somehow resembled the aesthetic they were going for, instead of designing a fitting wordmark for the look in particular.

 

I'd say the Blazers one was pretty well designed, what with the topographical lines. And the Spurs was an homage to the 90s warmups...

 

Of two teams that look cheaply done and poorly designed I wouldn't really pick the Blazers or the Spurs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:


In a world of jerseys with nicknames and city references, I'm totally digging "Lake Show".

Also, while we're at it, I'd like to mention that I've witnessed the dislike towards Charlotte's "Buzz City" been thrown around here, and totally understand that it might not be something that the city is called by the locals (or anyone). Nevertheless, I find it a very suitable nickname for the Hornets, since it supports their brand and has been around ever since they took upon the Hornets identity, and has felt rather natural for it from the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

I'd say the Blazers one was pretty well designed, what with the topographical lines. And the Spurs was an homage to the 90s warmups...

 

Of two teams that look cheaply done and poorly designed I wouldn't really pick the Blazers or the Spurs. 


I was talking specifically about the fonts used in the wordmarks of those uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, truepg said:


I was talking specifically about the fonts used in the wordmarks of those uniforms.

 

What font do you think would be more appropriate for the Blazers' city edition uniform than a sign that is one of the most recognizable parts of the skyline? I would have considered using "Portland" from the same sign instead of "Oregon," but that doesn't really take away from the intent, which feels extremely well thought-out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

 

What font do you think would be more appropriate for the Blazers' city edition uniform than a sign that is one of the most recognizable parts of the skyline? I would have considered using "Portland" from the same sign instead of "Oregon," but that doesn't really take away from the intent, which feels extremely well thought-out.


Not totally sure I understood correctly, what you meant, but the font used on the Blazers jersey and the one in the sign are fairly different, as I said in one of the previous posts regarding this. Again, I'm not criticizing the intention, but the execution of it. And here the right thing wouldn't even be to use existing fonts, rather than adjust one or draw a new wordmark for the case in point.

Edited by truepg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, truepg said:


Not totally sure I understood correctly, what you meant, but the font used on the Blazers jersey and the one in the sign are fairly different, as I said in one of the previous posts regarding this. Again, I'm not criticizing the intention, but the execution of it. And here the right thing wouldn't even be to use existing fonts, rather than adjust one or draw a new wordmark for the case in point.

Only the “n” is different, which who knows maybe that is what they needed to do to avoid copy right, or create their own to stop counterfeiters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dont care said:

Only the “n” is different, which who knows maybe that is what they needed to do to avoid copy right, or create their own to stop counterfeiters


That's two clearly different-style fonts there. Again, one is Mistral-like, the other is Chicago script or such like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, truepg said:


That's two clearly different-style fonts there. Again, one is Mistral-like, the other is Chicago script or such like.

Considering only the “g” and “o” are used in both “Chicago” and either “Oregon”scripts and they are nothing alike you couldn’t be any more wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dont care said:

Considering only the “g” and “o” are used in both “Chicago” and either “Oregon”scripts and they are nothing alike you couldn’t be any more wrong. 

 

... This is unnecessary talk, but the point wasn't comparing how closely the Oregon and Chicago scripts match, rather than the font on the Blazers' jersey and in the sign differ in style. I'll leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

The jersey isn’t a perfect recreation of the sign but it isn’t friggin Mistral. Come on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Digby said:

spacer.png

 

The jersey isn’t a perfect recreation of the sign but it isn’t friggin Mistral. Come on.

 

You guys so off-point. Did I say it was Mistral?? Although it is not, If you fail to see that those are different style scripts and the Mistral way of letter structure especially seen in the "n" in the one below... Then again, still grinding over this is ridiculous.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your point was that you don’t like the font, the side panel or the colors (specifically the base color) and claimed the whole uniform wasn’t well thought-out, though there was clear inspiration for all of those things, whether the font is entirely accurate or not. It would have just been easier to say it’s not pleasing to your eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Your point was that you don’t like the font, the side panel or the colors (specifically the base color) and claimed the whole uniform wasn’t well thought-out, though there was clear inspiration for all of those things, whether the font is entirely accurate or not. It would have just been easier to say it’s not pleasing to your eye. 

^I second this
Part of the reason these boards exist is because not everyone sees eye-to-eye on what makes a good uniform. There are plenty people who don’t like the Celtics, Sixers, Bulls, Lakers, etc., and those are generally considered the best and/or timeless NBA uniforms. But to claim that because you don’t like the uniform that it’s “not well thought out” is, well, not well thought out on your part. A slightly altered font is a terrible hill to die on, @truepg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

Your point was that you don’t like the font, the side panel or the colors (specifically the base color) and claimed the whole uniform wasn’t well thought-out, though there was clear inspiration for all of those things, whether the font is entirely accurate or not. It would have just been easier to say it’s not pleasing to your eye. 

 

46 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

But to claim that because you don’t like the uniform that it’s “not well thought out” is, well, not well thought out on your part. A slightly altered font is a terrible hill to die on, @truepg.

 

What? At no point did I claim that the uniform wasn't "well thought-out" or criticized its inspiration. I was talking about the execution. What I said, was literally that I don't like the uniform nor I think it looks good. Then I followed-up with a separate issue that was the font, which is also related to other City uniforms.

 

46 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Part of the reason these boards exist is because not everyone sees eye-to-eye on what makes a good uniform.


Absolutely. But I expressed my view clearly from the very start, and then followed up with almost like, what, 10? posts, clarifying my point in response to people. With this kind of matter, it should've come to an "agree to disagree" conclusion, if nothing else, way sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, truepg said:

 

 

What? At no point did I claim that the uniform wasn't "well thought-out" or criticized its inspiration. I was talking about the execution. What I said, was literally that I don't like the uniform nor I think it looks good. Then I followed-up with a separate issue that was the font, which is also related to other City uniforms.

 


Absolutely. But I expressed my view clearly from the very start, and then followed up with almost like, what, 10? posts, clarifying my point in response to people. With this kind of matter, it should've come to an "agree to disagree" conclusion, if nothing else, way sooner.

Then find the “free font” the wordmark came from. Like I said they probably had to change the font slightly to avoid copy right infringement and/or create their own trademark for the wordmark. Every example you have posted of what this font looks like has been torn to shreds as looking nothing like the font Portland used here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Then find the “free font” the wordmark came from. Like I said they probably had to change the font slightly to avoid copy right infringement and/or create their own trademark for the wordmark. Every example you have posted of what this font looks like has been torn to shreds as looking nothing like the font Portland used here.


Why should I go looking for any free fonts? I made my point across. As if this Blazers uni was the only case in question. Whatever font they had to "change", wasn't the one from the Portland sign. If you don't have the typographic knowledge to see the differences in brush strokes and flow of those two scripts, then it is what it is. This case is closed from my part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.