NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/25/2021 at 5:03 PM, spartacat_12 said:

It definitely could use some red.

On a side note, it's interesting that the NBA has never actually had a full time black & gold team.

Put an NBA team in Pittsburgh and that would take care of that. Until then, the Pacers are about as close as you're gonna get.

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, beast3 said:

The Thunder changed their uniforms at halftime

First half:

spacer.png

Second half:

https://twitter.com/okcthunder/status/1365485714104856579?s=20

When the last time a team changed uniforms in the middle of the game?

the NBA is the goofiest of the major 4 leagues. they keep on coming up with new ways to make bad uniform decisions (sleeved jersey's, random colored mismatched shoes, alternate uniforms using non-team colors, airport city code/city nickname word marks)

59 minutes ago, beast3 said:

First half:

spacer.png

Second half:

This is hilariously bad, and the NBA ought to take this seriously. I can see how the apparent “glitch in the system” could cause the confusion, but why didn’t Atlanta know that OKC picked orange? OR if they did know, and the system just didn’t flag it correctly, then why didn’t somebody from Atlanta or the NBA itself raise a concern? 

Any way you look at it, this shows some problems in this system. If neither team was aware of the conflict, the league should’ve caught the problem as soon as the matchup was submitted and alerted the teams. If one or both teams were aware, someone from one or both teams ought to be aware enough of uniform guidelines and potential matchup conflicts to flag the matchup as an issue anyways. No matter what the story really was, it all makes it look like either 1) the league didn’t care/notice until they actually saw the game, or 2) the people responsible for submitting uniform selections, whoever that may be, dropped the ball.

I know this’ll bother some, but in my opinion, this is precisely why strict home/road uniform designations are necessary. White (or gold if you’re the Lakers) at home vs. dark on the road will always prevent this problem, and no one ever has to worry about any “glitches” or miscommunications that causes messes like these. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 minutes ago, BShaw20 said:

They didn’t have their white jerseys ready, at a home game? What was the reason for them waiting for halftime?

The NBA's uniform program is a clownshow.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Spoilered for space:

Granted, I quit following the NBA sometime after Dallas won their 'ship in '11, and have only had a passing interest in it since, but still...looking back and through this thread has probably reinforced one thing: the NBA has straight up allowed their brand recognition to be killed...swooshed right out of conscience.

I can't even and don't even want to try to follow/figure out what's what anymore--what's "home"? What's "away"? What's "alternate"? They done ruined it. Now granted, I think all this over-alternating uniform stuff ultimately began, of all places, in Cleveland during LeBron's first tour (recall how many different alternate uniforms they had up there, to include the CavFanatic joints), all as a way, I say, to milk jersey sales and rack up more revenue using the league's most marketable star. For all that, at least all those Cavs alts made some sense--sure they used the Mark Price-era jerseys in wine and gold and such--I think they even mixed some Ricky Davis/Darius Miles-era colors in there--but again, they all made sense. Then LeBron moved his talents to South Beach and the Heatles were born--and they became the team of a thousand alts, it seemed like (okay it wasn't that many; just a little hyperbole).

But then the NBA signed Nike on to be its uniform supplier, and I remember so many people clamoring for it beforehand too, and, well...two things:

1) You see where we are now with the NBA uniform thing and

2) Be careful what you wish for.

Now we got six thousand different uniforms running around out there on any given night, with no real rhyme or reason as to when/where/why they're worn, or how often. That's to say nothing of the NBA letting the Swoosh schmooze them into 86'ing official "home and away" designations and in favor of "association", "icon" and whatever other designations they have now (which I'm convinced was/is more of Nike pushing their "forward-thinking" creative agenda than anything else). Now, as is the case anytime one throws it all at the wall, it's produced some charms (the Charlotte Mint City ones and the Utah Red Rocks editions are by far my favorites; the only other one I really like is the Chicago black and gold Chicago Theatre-themed ones; I don't know nor care what they call it). But still, the proliferation of all these different alts has just completely ate away at whatever brand equity the NBA had. And that right there is the crux of my issue with all of this: equity. And for those who don't understand quite what that means, it's lasting value that actually increases over time.

This may help: I recently took a trip to Boston; while there, I made it over to Fenway. Now, prior to this, I wouldn't have called myself a Red Sox (or Boston anything) fan, but being inside that team shop, I gained a newfound appreciation for the classic aesthetic that the Red Sox employ, and, save for some minor changes, have employed for decades. Many legends have worn their laundry, from Ted Williams to Carlton Fisk to Pedro Martinez and many more. Of course, it helps that they've won some championships, too, but the point is this: their brand identity has built up an incredible amount of equity during all that time, and in a league where some teams can't settle on a consistent look to save their lives (hello, San Diego, up until this past season, or Toronto before the last rebrand--or the Marlins of present). There's a certain emotional connection to something with that much equity--so much so that one of those Red Sox jerseys, and a cap, is now hanging in my closet 1700-something miles back west.

I say all that to say this: the NBA may not care as much, or at all, about brand equity these days, and if so that's their prerogative. Perhaps they want to move more towards the way soccer does things and change it up every two or three years, for the sake of generating more revenue. If they're gonna do that, though, they definitely need to aim for more consistency in what they're allowing out there on the floor, and how often they allow certain things to be worn.

Oh, and one last thing: I know Nike isn't 100% responsible for the mess going on across the NBA now, BUT, they certainly did open a gateway to it. So, that said, those of you who keep clamoring for Nike to take over the NHL and MLB (and MLS, too): are you paying attention?? You saw the phase the NFL just went through; you sure you want that proliferating through the other leagues' aesthetics, too?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 hours ago, beast3 said:

First half:

spacer.png

Second half:

Here it doesn't look that bad, but the players are separate, they happen to be players wearing clashing sleeves, and it's a high quality photo. In video it was a real mess, but I suppose I could see someone in person and up close not registering how dumb this was I guess?

Archived