Jump to content

NBA Changes 2020/21


SportsLogos.Net News

Recommended Posts

On 3/31/2021 at 7:49 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Clippers just have the worst branding in all of the Big 4 sports.

 

It's bad, but it's not even the worst in the NBA, as depressing as that is. Nothing beats the literal placeholder logo that the Thunder have been too lazy/cheap to change for 13 years. The Nets' and Rockets' current brands are pretty awful too.

 

At least the Clippers' rebrand has the excuse of being a rush job commissioned by a new owner who wanted to quickly erase any association with the worst owner in sports history. From the sound of things, the team is planning to do an actual rebrand once they move into the new arena in Inglewood, which makes sense.

 

In contrast, OKC has had 13 years of time and relative stability, and all they can come up with is changing from one generic uniform design to a slightly different generic uniform design and not even addressing how bad their logo is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

 

It's bad, but it's not even the worst in the NBA, as depressing as that is. Nothing beats the literal placeholder logo that the Thunder have been too lazy/cheap to change for 13 years. The Nets' and Rockets' current brands are pretty awful too.

 

At least the Clippers' rebrand has the excuse of being a rush job commissioned by a new owner who wanted to quickly erase any association with the worst owner in sports history. From the sound of things, the team is planning to do an actual rebrand once they move into the new arena in Inglewood, which makes sense.

 

In contrast, OKC has had 13 years of time and relative stability, and all they can come up with is changing from one generic uniform design to a slightly different generic uniform design and not even addressing how bad their logo is.


Agree on all accounts, except the Rockets' logo monogram is still top-notch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

At least the Clippers' rebrand has the excuse of being a rush job commissioned by a new owner who wanted to quickly erase any association with the worst owner in sports history.

 

Haste makes waste. They upgrade uniforms with nike but logos are still awful. They also should use more red over black.

 

BTW I hope one day they will make a throwback of 90's uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Nets' and Rockets' current brands are pretty awful too.

SO this feels like kind of a hot take but the Nets branding, although pretty uninspired in a vacuum, operates *perfectly* within Nike's new uniform system. I think because of the ambiguity as a brand, the Nets can kind of do a grab-bag when it comes to representing their borough's culture without disrupting already existing brand elements (chiefly because of how placeholder-y the current brand truly feels). The wordmark is boring, so why not have a subway-inspired keyline! Colors are just black and white, but the splash of color in the Biggie uniforms felt natural because of how the Nets have continued to pursue community over sticking to their literal logos and wordmarks.

Brooklyn Nets Nike City Edition Swingman Jersey - James Harden - Youth - 2020

These are stupid though, and kinda fall out of the realm of feasibility for me. I can't shake that they look like a really bad "Friends" inspired design, even though I know that isn't what they're supposed to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Htown1141 said:

SO this feels like kind of a hot take but the Nets branding, although pretty uninspired in a vacuum, operates *perfectly* within Nike's new uniform system. I think because of the ambiguity as a brand, the Nets can kind of do a grab-bag when it comes to representing their borough's culture without disrupting already existing brand elements (chiefly because of how placeholder-y the current brand truly feels). The wordmark is boring, so why not have a subway-inspired keyline! Colors are just black and white, but the splash of color in the Biggie uniforms felt natural because of how the Nets have continued to pursue community over sticking to their literal logos and wordmarks.

Brooklyn Nets Nike City Edition Swingman Jersey - James Harden - Youth - 2020

These are stupid though, and kinda fall out of the realm of feasibility for me. I can't shake that they look like a really bad "Friends" inspired design, even though I know that isn't what they're supposed to be.

 

What's the over under on one of the NY teams actually doing that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

SO this feels like kind of a hot take but the Nets branding, although pretty uninspired in a vacuum, operates *perfectly* within Nike's new uniform system. I think because of the ambiguity as a brand, the Nets can kind of do a grab-bag when it comes to representing their borough's culture without disrupting already existing brand elements (chiefly because of how placeholder-y the current brand truly feels). The wordmark is boring, so why not have a subway-inspired keyline! Colors are just black and white, but the splash of color in the Biggie uniforms felt natural because of how the Nets have continued to pursue community over sticking to their literal logos and wordmarks.

Brooklyn Nets Nike City Edition Swingman Jersey - James Harden - Youth - 2020

These are stupid though, and kinda fall out of the realm of feasibility for me. I can't shake that they look like a really bad "Friends" inspired design, even though I know that isn't what they're supposed to be.

I didn't like the Basquiat unis when they were first announced. But I like them in action -- especially in conjunction with the court design. 

 

Baskquiat_court.jpg

 

Re: your primary point: if a brand is sufficiently flexible to explore the freedoms that the new league-wide system affords, without straining credulity or looking unrecognizable, that's evidence of a well-designed brand.

 

Virtually all of Brooklyn's one-off jerseys either hearken to team history, or reflect borough culture. And the latter unis look very much a piece with the Nets' current branding. When I see the Basquiat or Coogi/Brooklyn camo unis, I know what/who they're referencing, but I also know its a *Nets* uni. Contrast that with some of the other City jerseys, which dispense with their franchises' primary branding entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

official confirmation of what i already said...
 

 

“All MVPs and ROYs”...so will teams honor players that they don’t have anymore( D-Rose, LBJ, Harden, etc.)? It’d be hilarious if Milwaukee fans had a Malcom Brogdon jersey to remind them of a huge front office gaffe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

“All MVPs and ROYs”...so will teams honor players that they don’t have anymore( D-Rose, LBJ, Harden, etc.)? It’d be hilarious if Milwaukee fans had a Malcom Brogdon jersey to remind them of a huge front office gaffe.

I've seen designs of the Rose, Russ and Harden ones, in the style of their 2020 teams' jerseys, but I highly doubt those will make it to market. I'd imagine they'll just stick to players that haven't changed teams in the last season. Also, no, the Brogdon one is Pacers-themed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I don’t know where else to complain about it so it’ll just go here... wow this Bally scoreboard is terrible. I already miss the Fox one.

Is it too early to say underrated post?

 

Anyways, the NFL ditched the flat scoreboard, it was only a matter of time til the NBA did...but to replace it with one that is a thinned out ad is a complete downgrade.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lights Out said:

 

It's bad, but it's not even the worst in the NBA, as depressing as that is. Nothing beats the literal placeholder logo that the Thunder have been too lazy/cheap to change for 13 years. The Nets' and Rockets' current brands are pretty awful too.

STRONGLY disagree but I can see you're biased.😉

 

I can't think of a cheaper-looking logo in professional sports history than the current Clippers' one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

 

April Fools'?

 

 

Now that you mention it, SO MANY of these new NBA alternate/earned/statement/special/whatever jerseys look like jerseys that would have made great April Fools' jokes even just a few years ago.

 

For example, speaking of the Luka and the Mavs, think of that graffiti jersey they have... even just 10 years ago, that would have been a good April Fools' joke.  Imagine if the Mavs posted something like this on Twitter on an April Fools Day around 2010, advertising them as some special upcoming alternate jersey or something along those lines.  Some people might fall for it, some would not, but we'd all have a good little laugh and appreciate the joke because of how ugly and ridiculous yet very slightly believable it is.

 

Nowadays, this kind of garbage is just accepted as "normal" throughout the league, and no one would find it funny or think it's a joke, that's how bad things have gotten!

 

 

Dallas Mavericks trolled for awful kit that makes stars look like 'The  Sims' - Daily Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I don’t know where else to complain about it so it’ll just go here... wow this Bally scoreboard is terrible. I already miss the Fox one.

Fox really had it figured out there at the end. Crisp, clean, modern design; not overly obtrusive. The Bally’s one looks like something right out of the mid 2000s. Chromey, takes up the entire bottom of the screen, lots of dead space, continuous scroller/ticker. I hope they get enough negative feedback that it is changed before too long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I don’t know where else to complain about it so it’ll just go here... wow this Bally scoreboard is terrible. I already miss the Fox one.

 

I disagree, I think it's an upgrade from the boring FOX graphics. At least these graphics don't look like they were made in five minutes on MS Paint. I particularly like how they've combined the scoreboard and the ticker so they're not both taking up separate space on screen.

 

One change I'd suggest is using the teams' wordmarks instead of their logos. This would fit the shape of the scoreboard better while providing the same level of visual interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, PurpleRain said:

STRONGLY disagree but I can see you're biased.😉

 

I can't think of a cheaper-looking logo in professional sports history than the current Clippers' one.

 

I'm not biased, I have no attachment to the current brand and I still consider it bottom 3 in the NBA. If it was up to me, the Clippers would have an actual clipper ship as their logo and would return to the powder blue and red-orange color scheme from the San Diego era.

 

I'm just slightly less harsh on the current branding than others, not because of my fandom, but because of the context in which it was thrown together. I think a subpar rebrand can be forgiven when you're trying to move on from an :censored: like Sterling on such short notice. Now, if they screw up the real rebrand for the new arena, there will be no excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.