NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IceCap said:

I think of the Raptors, Bulls, and Trailblazers before I think of the Heat when I think "red and black basketball teams."

They really need to go to the Vice look full time. 

Yes, there is something to be said for being unique.

On top of sharing the red and black with a handful of other teams, the Heat's overall branding is very generic.

On the Warriors tonight, there is something so incredibly irritating about a team wearing a uniform in a PLAYOFF game with a) a city name they don't even play in (not to mention they've never been called the OAKLAND Warriors), and b) uniform colors that aren't in their primary logo. I just imagine casual watchers tuning in and being like WTF? Golden State Warriors in yellow and blue... Why Oakland? Aren't they in SF? Please ban city uniforms from the playoffs... God I miss the days before Nike so much.

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

I think of the Raptors, Bulls, and Trailblazers before I think of the Heat when I think "red and black basketball teams."

They really need to go to the Vice look full time. 

How though? The Heat have made like 5 finals appearances since the mid 2000’s? Their second only to the Bulls who won’t ever leave the number 1 spot because of Jordan. But the Blazers, despite being around longer then Miami, have been much less successful and have a much smaller fan base. The raptors haven’t even used black and red but like the past 10 years.

Your lying to yourself.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

53 minutes ago, tscuzzy said:

On the Warriors tonight, there is something so incredibly irritating about a team wearing a uniform in a PLAYOFF game with a) a city name they don't even play in (not to mention they've never been called the OAKLAND Warriors), and b) uniform colors that aren't in their primary logo. I just imagine casual watchers tuning in and being like WTF? Golden State Warriors in yellow and blue... Why Oakland? Aren't they in SF? Please ban city uniforms from the playoffs... God I miss the days before Nike so much.

They are the Bay Area's team and play literally 10 miles from Oakland, I don't see the problem.

32 minutes ago, colortv said:

They are the Bay Area's team and play literally 10 miles from Oakland, I don't see the problem.

Exactly. It would be different if the team name was San Francisco Warriors but it's not, so they can honestly get away with whatever Bay Area city they want on the front of a jersey.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Your lying to yourself.

Sure. Ok. Yes, please tell me what I think. 

How though? The Heat have made like 5 finals appearances since the mid 2000’s? Their second only to the Bulls who won’t ever leave the number 1 spot because of Jordan. But the Blazers, despite being around longer then Miami, have been much less successful and have a much smaller fan base. The raptors haven’t even used black and red but like the past 10 years.

Ok. Listen. 

Bulls. MJ. GOAT. 

Blazers. Unique design elements that make them stand out. 

Raptors. Hometown team, recently won a championship. 

I don't forget about the Heat's existence or anything but they do not come to mind before these three teams.
I'm sorry if that strikes you as "off" or "odd" or whatever, but you and I are different people. What teams are relevant to you may not be relevant to me, and vice-versa. 

3 hours ago, colortv said:

On top of sharing the red and black with a handful of other teams, the Heat's overall branding is very generic.

There are some examples earlier, with the Heat's inaugural look and how they could have taken it in some interesting directions (aside from the Vice identity). Instead they stripped the logo of the gradient that made it interesting.

The uniforms are fine, but just strike me as uninspired. 

1 hour ago, tscuzzy said:

I am okay-ish with an Oakland jersey. But, the playoffs should stick to tradition as much as possible. The only alternate allowed should be the Statement jersey.

That all said ... I’m just happy the Lakers are in gold at home.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I'm underwhelmed at being impressed about the Lakers actually looking like the Lakers for this game. Hopefully, for however many home playoff games they play, this is what they wear for all non-Sunday games. No purple, no stupid alternate white-and-blue, no charcoal...look like what you're supposed to look like, dammit.

(The Warriors wearing fauxback alts isn't bothering me, probably because this uniform basis is something they've worn before. I've always wondered in many ways why the "We Believe" set is so popular when it had that one playoff series win and an awful lot of losing otherwise, but that's for Warriors fans to decide, not me.)

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Sure. Ok. Yes, please tell me what I think. 

Ok. Listen. 

Bulls. MJ. GOAT. 

Blazers. Unique design elements that make them stand out. 

Raptors. Hometown team, recently won a championship. 

I don't forget about the Heat's existence or anything but they do not come to mind before these three teams.
I'm sorry if that strikes you as "off" or "odd" or whatever, but you and I are different people. What teams are relevant to you may not be relevant to me, and vice-versa. 

There are some examples earlier, with the Heat's inaugural look and how they could have taken it in some interesting directions (aside from the Vice identity). Instead they stripped the logo of the gradient that made it interesting.

The uniforms are fine, but just strike me as uninspired. 

Plus, doesn’t the Heat’s fan base have a reputation for being fair-weather and comically disinterested, while the Blazers are known for having a pretty tight, rabid fan base?

If we’re talking “red and black,” it’s more than reasonable to say the Blazers come to mind before the Heat. Honestly, the little hint of yellow is the distinctive, essential “Heat” element to me. I’ve never thought of the Heat solely as “red and black.” Always with the hint of yellow. For whatever reason, silver/grey never felt as intrinsically linked to the Blazers’ brand to the same degree that yellow is to the Heat’s, but I’m sure others see that differently.

That said, count me in for full time Miami Vice colors with a small refresh of the uniform design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Speaking of Miami, Trophy Golds (why) for Game 1 on Saturday. 

Makes me think Milwaukee is going black at home, since the Heat have said they’re going to wear the black jerseys as much as possible for their #UnitedInBlack playoff slogan. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

8 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Your lying to yourself.

All of those teams have plenty of equity built up in red and black, the Heat included of course. While Vice is fine in a vacuum, and would be perfectly acceptable to add to the Heat brand as a regular (appropriately used) alternate, I personally don’t think it would be wise to rebrand to it full time. To me, it’s gimmicky, and while it does fit Miami, they have the 30 years of history built up in the current identity. If they were a day 1 expansion team again, it would OK to go with it but I don’t ever think it’s a compelling argument to change colors/jerseys just because “other teams also use those colors.”

This is the same thing I believe whenever I see people saying the team I follow, the Pistons, should change their identity and don’t give a great reason as to why beyond “there are already blue and red teams in the league.”

The Heat were a dynasty a full generation more recently than the Bulls, the Raptors have been black and red for a brief period (and shouldn’t be anyways), and frankly the Blazers are a

small-market, perennial early exit team. The Heat have as much claim to that color scheme as anyone.

They’re a team with a very established culture and brand at this point — Riley, Spo, the modern wordmark, the italic numbers. Once you achieve that I think changing drastically is a short-sighted move, particularly with how trendchasing the whole Vice thing is.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

My issue is that in 5 years+ when we see iconic moments and great games, watching them back it'll be nearly impossible to identify teams without external influences. I have no problem with wearing alts and changing up uniform matchups, but they need to be in the main team colors. For a few games a the season to give the fans something different and unique to them? Sure. But the playoffs? Get it out.

Heat in gold, yuck.

Warriors in the oakland, yuck.

I imagine the Jazz roll out their sunset ones at some point.

Sixers will definitely end up wearing the cream liberty bell ones.

I just want the teams to be easily identifiable and fit their look. I can't even say its high-schooly because high schools tend to simply have a home and away. So difficult!

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

30 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

My issue is that in 5 years+ when we see iconic moments and great games, watching them back it'll be nearly impossible to identify teams without external influences. I have no problem with wearing alts and changing up uniform matchups, but they need to be in the main team colors. For a few games a the season to give the fans something different and unique to them? Sure. But the playoffs? Get it out.

Heat in gold, yuck.

Warriors in the oakland, yuck.

I imagine the Jazz roll out their sunset ones at some point.

Sixers will definitely end up wearing the cream liberty bell ones.

I just want the teams to be easily identifiable and fit their look. I can't even say its high-schooly because high schools tend to simply have a home and away. So difficult!

Doesn’t the NFL ban alternates during the playoffs? For as much flak as they get for being the “No Fun League” they are right on the money with this one and the NBA should follow.

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Doesn’t the NFL ban alternates during the playoffs? For as much flak as they get for being the “No Fun League” they are right on the money with this one and the NBA should follow.

Yes they do, we've seen on rare occasion they're allowed (Rams in SB before they were the "home"), but for the most part NFL teams keep a pretty standard identity, minus a few stragglers.

I'm okay with the alternates when they're in good taste, like the sixers should be able to wear their blue, white, or red, but those exclusively since the red alt is a recolor (IN TEAM COLORS) of the home/away template

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

9 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I’m OK with Statement edition being used in the playoffs, which theoretically should still fall within a team’s normal branding, but certainly not the City edition.

8 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Speaking of Miami, Trophy Golds (why) for Game 1 on Saturday. 

Makes me think Milwaukee is going black at home, since the Heat have said they’re going to wear the black jersey as much as possible for their #UnitedInBlack playoff slogan. 

I wonder what ever changed with the Heat on this. Their routine for a long time in the playoffs was to alternate between the black and red uniforms for away games depending on whether they won or lost. Just to use one example - they wore red against the Mavericks in Game 3 of the '11 Finals, and won. They wore red again in Game 4 and lost, and turned to black for Game 5. Ever since home/away/alt designations became suggestions as opposed to mandates, it seems they want the black to be their dominant uniform. It's not even that I mind - black is my favorite color and I generally like black uniforms the most, at least for teams that have black as a legitimate part of their color scheme - but it's definitely been a change of direction from what they previously would do.

spacer.png

Archived