NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

At this point I think the best solution would be to put a G-League team in South Florida, call them the Miami Vice, and use the pink/blue/black colour scheme. This allows them to basically have their cake & eat it too.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they’re in a unique position where they could pull off Vice as a permanent alternate brand. Wear the jersey every Friday. Release the merch in regular and vice colors both (because you know that’s the only reason they do this anyway). But they’ve been black/red/white with few, but solid, updates since day one and should stay that way.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Heat ditching 30-plus years of history for a look that's gaudy and tropical would be almost as stupid as a baseball team ditching a uniform used in winning two World Series championships for something gaudy and tropical. In the same city, no less. 

Doesn't gaudy and tropical kind of fit Miami though? It's not like "Miami Vice" is a new thing, the series itself is older than both teams you mentioned. The colors themselves are based on a distinctly Miami vibe as well, whereas teal/black/silver and red/black/gold can fit anywhere.

That said, while I'd love for the Heat to adopt the Vice look full-time, I don't think they should. As others have stated, you can't buy a championship brand and as much as I hate it, the red/black look is championship-winning.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The Heat ditching 30-plus years of history for a look that's gaudy and tropical would be almost as stupid as a baseball team ditching a uniform used in winning two World Series championships for something gaudy and tropical. In the same city, no less. 

The Marlins had already ruined their classic look by the time they won the second championship, so IDK if they're the best comparison.

I wouldn't mind the Heat changing things up. I do think the Vice colors should be left to alternate uniforms only, since although they look nice, it's not the right color scheme for a team called the Heat. I think their previous "White Hot" aesthetic has more potential as a full-time identity - as I've tried to do in concepts before:

spacer.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

At this point I think the best solution would be to put a G-League team in South Florida, call them the Miami Vice, and use the pink/blue/black colour scheme. This allows them to basically have their cake & eat it too.

First, NBC would have beef over calling them "Miami Vice".  The team have been very careful not to use those words together.  Second, I mentioned this in the Heat's reddit and got blasted for it.  "Don't take away my Skyforce!", etc.  

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

15 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Heat should take the Vice design (which in turn was based on the original jerseys) and just use red and orange instead of teal and magenta.

And vice versa (vice colors on the normal template). Boom; a couple more years of new jerseys.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

First, NBC would have beef over calling them "Miami Vice".  The team have been very careful not to use those words together.  Second, I mentioned this in the Heat's reddit and got blasted for it.  "Don't take away my Skyforce!", etc.  

They could take a page out of the old Arena Football League and call them the Miami Vise.

35 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

https://lockervision.nba.com

Here are this year’s playoff shooting shirts for all teams but Utah and the winner of tonight’s GS/Memphis game:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The best are the Suns, Knicks, Sixers, Nets, and Celtics. Everyone else is meh or downright trash(see: Hawks, Wizards).

32 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

Here are this year’s playoff shooting shirts for all teams but Utah and the winner of tonight’s GS/Memphis game:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I get what they're trying to do. I hate it. These are lab grown creations coming from Nike focus groups masquerading as organic and grass roots movements. These are no better than "I'm lovin' it" or "No one out pizza's the hut" . It's soulless and corporate but desperate to be mistaken as a social movement. In summation, boo NBA and Nike

Teams wearing city jerseys for all their scheduled home games so far: 76ers, Suns, Wizards

The Nuggets, Clippers, Nets, and most egregiously the Knicks are also wearing their city jerseys at least once. 

Heat vs. Bucks game one is the only matchup where earned jerseys make an appearance, and they’re being worn by both teams. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

For some reason, they've only listed the first 2 games for the Hawks-Knicks series. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I get what they're trying to do. I hate it. These are lab grown creations coming from Nike focus groups masquerading as organic and grass roots movements. These are no better than "I'm lovin' it" or "No one out pizza's the hut" . It's soulless and corporate but desperate to be mistaken as a social movement. In summation, boo NBA and Nike

But “I’m loving it” and “no one out pizza’s the hut” are some of the best most memorable marketing catchphrases ever. I don’t know how you can specifically say those specifically are soulless or corporate. In fact they are quite the opposite

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

But “I’m loving it” and “no one out pizza’s the hut” are some of the best most memorable marketing catchphrases ever. I don’t know how you can specifically say those specifically are soulless or corporate. In fact they are quite the opposite

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

Something can be successful and memorable, while also being subjectively "corporate and soulless." Those aren't mutually exclusive things. @O.C.D's  objection isn't about whether the slogans themselves are good or not, but at the transparent attempt to manufacture authenticity. 

I completely understand the point. To be honest, these are no different from the slogans that teams' in-house marketing groups pull together.  I just think everything Nike does along these lines comes with this taint of canned originality. 

7 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

But not all of them are bad. Take a few from years’ past:

Utah: #TakeNote

Boston: It’s Not Luck

Golden State: Strength in Numbers

LA Lakers: Leave A Legacy

Milwaukee: Fear The Deer

Indiana: Blue Collar, Gold Swagger

Archived