Jump to content

NBA Changes 2020/21


SportsLogos.Net News

Recommended Posts

At this point I think the best solution would be to put a G-League team in South Florida, call them the Miami Vice, and use the pink/blue/black colour scheme. This allows them to basically have their cake & eat it too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they’re in a unique position where they could pull off Vice as a permanent alternate brand. Wear the jersey every Friday. Release the merch in regular and vice colors both (because you know that’s the only reason they do this anyway). But they’ve been black/red/white with few, but solid, updates since day one and should stay that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Heat ditching 30-plus years of history for a look that's gaudy and tropical would be almost as stupid as a baseball team ditching a uniform used in winning two World Series championships for something gaudy and tropical. In the same city, no less. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn't gaudy and tropical kind of fit Miami though? It's not like "Miami Vice" is a new thing, the series itself is older than both teams you mentioned. The colors themselves are based on a distinctly Miami vibe as well, whereas teal/black/silver and red/black/gold can fit anywhere.

 

That said, while I'd love for the Heat to adopt the Vice look full-time, I don't think they should. As others have stated, you can't buy a championship brand and as much as I hate it, the red/black look is championship-winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The Heat ditching 30-plus years of history for a look that's gaudy and tropical would be almost as stupid as a baseball team ditching a uniform used in winning two World Series championships for something gaudy and tropical. In the same city, no less. 

 

The Marlins had already ruined their classic look by the time they won the second championship, so IDK if they're the best comparison.

 

I wouldn't mind the Heat changing things up. I do think the Vice colors should be left to alternate uniforms only, since although they look nice, it's not the right color scheme for a team called the Heat. I think their previous "White Hot" aesthetic has more potential as a full-time identity - as I've tried to do in concepts before:

 

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

At this point I think the best solution would be to put a G-League team in South Florida, call them the Miami Vice, and use the pink/blue/black colour scheme. This allows them to basically have their cake & eat it too.

First, NBC would have beef over calling them "Miami Vice".  The team have been very careful not to use those words together.  Second, I mentioned this in the Heat's reddit and got blasted for it.  "Don't take away my Skyforce!", etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Heat should take the Vice design (which in turn was based on the original jerseys) and just use red and orange instead of teal and magenta.

And vice versa (vice colors on the normal template). Boom; a couple more years of new jerseys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

First, NBC would have beef over calling them "Miami Vice".  The team have been very careful not to use those words together.  Second, I mentioned this in the Heat's reddit and got blasted for it.  "Don't take away my Skyforce!", etc.  

 

They could take a page out of the old Arena Football League and call them the Miami Vise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

https://lockervision.nba.com
 

Here are this year’s playoff shooting shirts for all teams but Utah and the winner of tonight’s GS/Memphis game:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The best are the Suns, Knicks, Sixers, Nets, and Celtics. Everyone else is meh or downright trash(see: Hawks, Wizards).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

https://lockervision.nba.com
 

Here are this year’s playoff shooting shirts for all teams but Utah and the winner of tonight’s GS/Memphis game:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I get what they're trying to do. I hate it. These are lab grown creations coming from Nike focus groups masquerading as organic and grass roots movements. These are no better than "I'm lovin' it" or "No one out pizza's the hut" . It's soulless and corporate but desperate to be mistaken as a social movement. In summation, boo NBA and Nike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teams wearing city jerseys for all their scheduled home games so far: 76ers, Suns, Wizards

 

The Nuggets, Clippers, Nets, and most egregiously the Knicks are also wearing their city jerseys at least once. 
 

Heat vs. Bucks game one is the only matchup where earned jerseys make an appearance, and they’re being worn by both teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

https://lockervision.nba.com
 

Here are this year’s playoff shooting shirts for all teams but Utah and the winner of tonight’s GS/Memphis game:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

For some reason, they've only listed the first 2 games for the Hawks-Knicks series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I get what they're trying to do. I hate it. These are lab grown creations coming from Nike focus groups masquerading as organic and grass roots movements. These are no better than "I'm lovin' it" or "No one out pizza's the hut" . It's soulless and corporate but desperate to be mistaken as a social movement. In summation, boo NBA and Nike

But “I’m loving it” and “no one out pizza’s the hut” are some of the best most memorable marketing catchphrases ever. I don’t know how you can specifically say those specifically are soulless or corporate. In fact they are quite the opposite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

But “I’m loving it” and “no one out pizza’s the hut” are some of the best most memorable marketing catchphrases ever. I don’t know how you can specifically say those specifically are soulless or corporate. In fact they are quite the opposite

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

 

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

But “I’m loving it” and “no one out pizza’s the hut” are some of the best most memorable marketing catchphrases ever. I don’t know how you can specifically say those specifically are soulless or corporate. In fact they are quite the opposite

 

Something can be successful and memorable, while also being subjectively "corporate and soulless." Those aren't mutually exclusive things. @O.C.D's  objection isn't about whether the slogans themselves are good or not, but at the transparent attempt to manufacture authenticity. 

 

I completely understand the point. To be honest, these are no different from the slogans that teams' in-house marketing groups pull together.  I just think everything Nike does along these lines comes with this taint of canned originality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

 

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

But not all of them are bad. Take a few from years’ past:

Utah: #TakeNote

Boston: It’s Not Luck

Golden State: Strength in Numbers

LA Lakers: Leave A Legacy

Milwaukee: Fear The Deer

Indiana: Blue Collar, Gold Swagger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of this sort of merch line has stayed pretty consistent since the Adidas days, so spare some ire for the marketing and graphics departments on the individual teams, if you must.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.