NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Warriors are REALLY going to be milking the "We Believe" 8 seed thing, aren't they?

Which is all the worse with their pandering "Oakland" wordmark on those alternates.  The Nets might as well keep a "New Jersey" set in the rotation with that logic.

VmWIn6B.png

43 minutes ago, LMU said:

The Warriors are REALLY going to be milking the "We Believe" 8 seed thing, aren't they?

Which is all the worse with their pandering "Oakland" wordmark on those alternates.  The Nets might as well keep a "New Jersey" set in the rotation with that logic.

They technically do.

(As a former New Jerseyian, they shouldn’t have left. The new branding is terrible, and up until this year, they’ve had little success basketball-wise).

3 hours ago, O.C.D said:

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

"Rip City" and "Fear the Deer" were definitely not Nike-created.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don’t think the Nets throwbacks or anything else will ever be as crass as the Warriors only acknowledging Oakland once they had one or even two feet already out the door, and once the wider culture decided Oakland is cool now.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I don’t think the Nets throwbacks or anything else will ever be as crass as the Warriors only acknowledging Oakland once they had one or even two feet already out the door, and once the wider culture decided Oakland is cool now.

update: karmic.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

"Rip City" and "Fear the Deer" were definitely not Nike-created.

Neither is the Knicks’ We Here, unless Nike told Julius Randle to say it in a random post game interview  (wouldn’t be the most surprising thing in the world but I doubt it)

07Giants.pngnyy.png

20 hours ago, O.C.D said:

"I'm loving it" is memorable because McDonalds pays an obscene amount of money to advertise it everywhere (the jingle really helps too). It's a phrase that was probably generated by a think tank and voted on by focus groups. Created in a lab. The opposite of organic or grass roots.

The NBA and Nike are trying to create playoff hype by giving each team a personalized mantra. It would be different if these mantras were organic to the team's history rather than a marketing department creation

20 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Something can be successful and memorable, while also being subjectively "corporate and soulless." Those aren't mutually exclusive things. @O.C.D's  objection isn't about whether the slogans themselves are good or not, but at the transparent attempt to manufacture authenticity. 

I completely understand the point. To be honest, these are no different from the slogans that teams' in-house marketing groups pull together.  I just think everything Nike does along these lines comes with this taint of canned originality. 

Those phrases do come from the teams’ internal marketing. Licensees just put them on apparel.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

LockerVision has the matchups for the first four games of all the first round series (except the West’s 1/8 matchup, obviously):

https://lockervision.nba.com

So many dull playoff uniform matchups.  By my count, literally half (13 out of 26) of these matchups are white jersey vs. black jersey.  (I will admit that some of these teams have business wearing a black jersey, but many don't.)

And 2 are gray jersey vs. black jersey matchups.  You'd think that might involve the Spurs, or Nets, or something like that.  Nope, both they are both WSH @ PHI games - games that should be colorful explosions of red/white/blue.

31 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

So many dull playoff uniform matchups.  By my count, literally half (13 out of 26) of these matchups are white jersey vs. black jersey.  (I will admit that some of these teams have business wearing a black jersey, but many don't.)

And 2 are gray jersey vs. black jersey matchups.  You'd think that might involve the Spurs, or Nets, or something like that.  Nope, both they are both WSH @ PHI games - games that should be colorful explosions of red/white/blue.

On a positive note, the Lakers will only wear white on Sundays, and gold the rest of the time.

3 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

On a positive note, the Lakers will only wear white on Sundays, and gold the rest of the time.

Yeah I saw that too, I was pleasantly surprised!  My only complaint is that for the road games, it looks like they are wearing white once and gold once, but that is not really their fault because Phoenix is wearing black jerseys at home so the Lakers didn't really have a choice.

At least for their home games the Lakers are wearing correct jerseys and like you said, will wear white for the Sunday home game, which is great.

Lakers playing Phoenix and Milwaukee is one way to turn up the difficulty in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Sixers are wearing their black city edition uniforms and the Wizards are wearing their grey city edition uniforms. Westbrook just turned the ball over and it appeared that he maybe mistook the referee as a teammate.  I think lockervision says these teams plan to wear the same thing in game 2 😓

edit: oops, just saw some references above about PHI/WAS wearing these unis. My bad

Do referees not have an alternate shirt? Westbrook just passed the ball directly to a ref, which is semi-understandable considering both the Wizards and refs are wearing grey with dark accessories (e.g, arm bands). 

I really like the Wizards regular home and road unis, which really stinks right now because it seems like they never wear those anymore. These gray city unis just lack any restraint that the regular set has with the  the garish stars and stripes while also just serving as another lame GFGS alternate. It's not the most visually offensive set that the city uniform program has to offer I guess, I just really don't like anything about it. The combination of it all reminds me of cheap NASCAR merchandise you'd see in a gas station or something. 

spacer.png

This my first time seeing the "dc" jerseys - I actually like them - better than their normal jerseys, mostly because "dc" > "wizards".  Maybe they could experiment with number placement so everything isn't so vertically centered - or maybe even experiment with with the dc placement - could it possibly work over the left breast rather than in the middle?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/22/2021 at 12:09 AM, UnclearInitial said:

Neither is the Knicks’ We Here, unless Nike told Julius Randle to say it in a random post game interview  (wouldn’t be the most surprising thing in the world but I doubt it)

That reminds me of when Kevin Garnett  yelled "Anything is possible!!!!!" and speculation was that he was supposed to yell "Impossible is nothing!" or something like that because it was the Adidas slogan at the time but he messed up. At the time I remember thinking Kevin was being weird and it didn't make sense

34 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

That reminds me of when Kevin Garnett  yelled "Anything is possible!!!!!" and speculation was that he was supposed to yell "Impossible is nothing!" or something like that because it was the Adidas slogan at the time but he messed up. At the time I remember thinking Kevin was being weird and it didn't make sense

It didn’t make sense to say “anything’s possible” after winning his only championship in his career?

Archived