NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, henburg said:

I really like the Wizards regular home and road unis, which really stinks right now because it seems like they never wear those anymore. These gray city unis just lack any restraint that the regular set has with the  the garish stars and stripes side panels while also just being serving as another lame GFGS alternate. It's not the most visually offensive set that the city uniform program has to offer I guess, but I just really don't like anything about it. The combination of it all reminds me of cheap NASCAR merchandise you'd see in a gas station or something. 

From what I saw in Lockervision, the Wizards appear to be wearing gray for at least the first 4 games of the playoffs... so either they think they are good luck, or maybe are trying hard to advertise them.

I don't know if I would necessarily classify these as GFGS.  Gray (or at least silver) is actually one of their team colors.  There is a lot of it in their primary logo, and I think there might even be some minor gray trim on their primary uniforms (or at least I think there used to be).  So the Wizards having a gray jersey is not as ridiculous as some other actual GFGS jerseys we've seen for teams who have no gray or silver anywhere else, like Boston, Chicago, Detroit, etc.  I'm not saying I'm a fan of the uniforms, I actually find them ugly and wish they didn't exist, but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to wear gray from a "team colors" standpoint, and I don't think it's GFGS.

Me: I think of the Bulls, Blazers, and Raptors before I think of the Heat when I think of red, black, and white basketball teams. 

Some people: No! The Heat have an iconic red, black, and white look! Stop lying to yourself! 

Heat: wears yellow 

I think of the heat as black, red, and yellow.  Their redesign in the early 00s and the corresponding court with the yellow lane with red college area was perfect.  The yellow made them sufficiently different enough from the Blazers and every other black and red team.  Their red jerseys from that set were great too.  These yellow ones on the other hand... 🤮

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, dont care said:

It didn’t make sense to say “anything’s possible” after winning his only championship in his career?

If you watch the clip he's asked a question and then he closes his eyes and pauses for a little longer than normal and then he quietly says "anything is possible" and then he repeats it again and then he yells it again with his head pointed up. It was like he was mimicking a moving ending. It just seemed off. As soon as someone said it was a botched attempt to try and use the Adidas slogan "Impossible is nothing" on national tv the whole scenario made more sense. 

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Me: I think of the Bulls, Blazers, and Raptors before I think of the Heat when I think of red, black, and white basketball teams. 

This is exactly why they should change to vice colors! You can't be iconic when three other teams are wearing almost the same thing, you're just another one of them.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

What teams someone thinks of first when thinking of color schemes can be subjective, though. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if where certain teams fell in thier order varied from person to person. 

For me? I think of the Bulls and Heat first, then Blazers (because black seems more prominent than red for them), then Raptors (who honestly - in my opinion - should be in purple instead, anyways). I’m in the camp that feels there’s nothing so wrong with the current identity that they’d have to switch to Vice full time; to me, that’d be a change for change’s sake. 

Vice in a vacuum has been a fine look (with the exception of this year’s ghastly, eye-straining set), but to me it seems more novelty than anything. I predict if they were to switch full-time, they’d be back to red and black within 10-20 years anyway (or sooner) once the fun of it wore off. I think if they had to switch, Floridians colors would be the better move. They fit the “Heat” theme more clearly, and thus would have better staying power in my opinion. You could align them pretty closely with the original Heat look as well, if you did it right (inaugural colors were black/red/orange, a swap of red and magenta would keep it close).

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

This is exactly why they should change to vice colors! You can't be iconic when three other teams are wearing almost the same thing, you're just another one of them.

The heats look is already iconic and have won 3 championships in them, all since 2000.

18 hours ago, henburg said:

These gray city unis just lack any restraint that the regular set has with the  the garish stars and stripes while also just serving as another lame GFGS alternate. It's not the most visually offensive set that the city uniform program has to offer I guess, I just really don't like anything about it. The combination of it all reminds me of cheap NASCAR merchandise you'd see in a gas station or something. 

This is exactly how I felt from the start, when that template was introduced first in white. It does work best with gray, though, to me.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:16 AM, colortv said:

Or black and orange..

yaZuj8M.jpg

You know what...seeing this now, in this colorway...that probably wouldn't be a bad idea! Although...the Phoenix Suns might have a thing or two to say about it.

To ol' boy's statement about the conversations of switching to the vice colors or not vs the red and black, claiming "equity"? Quite frankly, when it comes to visual brands, the NBA ain't got no equity anymore; they and Nike pretty much jumped every shark in the sea on that one with all those quadrizillion uniform alts going on (even going as far as to rename the things from simple "home/away/alternate"--yeah, ain't no equity no more when trendsetting and paper chasing is all the rage).  So yeah, go ahead and flip it to the vice colorway...if THAT many people are clamoring for it, Mr. Chief Marketing Officer, perhaps there's a reason: that colorway resonates far more with them what what you "won a championship in".

(By the way, that quote-en-quote statement right there, "they won a championship in them", has absolutely become THE BIGGEST pet peeve of mine, even more so than the Great Gray Facemask Debates that keep going on in here or mono vs not-mono discussions. I get it if there's an established history and tradition of winning AND championships...but the Heat don't fall into that category.  Interestingly enough, for all the times I see that statement pulled out, especially in here, not one time have I seen anyone clamor for those all-black sleeved alts the Cavaliers "won their championship in". 😄)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

Do referees not have an alternate shirt? Westbrook just passed the ball directly to a ref, which is semi-understandable considering both the Wizards and refs are wearing grey with dark accessories (e.g, arm bands). 

When adidas outfitted the refs, there was a white clash option.

2495.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

With more teams dabbling in grey uniforms, might as well bring the idea back, as it would work in games when neither team wears white, and reduce confusion if one team decides to go grey.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

33 minutes ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

When adidas outfitted the refs, there was a white clash option.

2495.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

With more teams dabbling in grey uniforms, might as well bring the idea back, as it would work in games when neither team wears white, and reduce confusion if one team decides to go grey.

I remember Adidas suddenly outfitting a number of teams in gray around 2014 or 2015. Most of them were smart enough to ditch it after a year or two (except the Pistons who made it a permanent part of their identity for some reason), but it seems to be getting a second wind now under Nike.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

(By the way, that quote-en-quote statement right there, "they won a championship in them", has absolutely become THE BIGGEST pet peeve of mine, 

This.  I get it: the few teams that have won multiple championships in the same uniform haven't changed it, fine.  But just because they HAVEN'T doesn't mean they SHOULDN'T.  

And if this was such an unwritten rule, changing to vice colors would be out of the question for the Heat.  But because they're still considering it all these years later, and the next alt still has vice colors in it, this belief doesn't have to apply to every team.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

This.  I get it: the few teams that have won multiple championships in the same uniform haven't changed it, fine.  But just because they HAVEN'T doesn't mean they SHOULDN'T.  

And if this was such an unwritten rule, changing to vice colors would be out of the question for the Heat.  But because they're still considering it all these years later, and the next alt still has vice colors in it, this belief doesn't have to apply to every team.

Doesn’t mean they should either. They have 30+ years invested in their current colors jumping to a new color scheme just because it’s trendy does nothing but but throw their past down the drain. How many times have we seen teams from all sports change from their established looks only to change back to them eventually.

5 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I remember Adidas suddenly outfitting a number of teams in gray around 2014 or 2015. Most of them were smart enough to ditch it after a year or two (except the Pistons who made it a permanent part of their identity for some reason), but it seems to be getting a second wind now under Nike.

https://nbajerseydatabase.tumblr.com/tagged/chicago-bulls

Bulls' gray jersey is the only Chicago jersey so far (that I know of) where they had red numbers with a single white outline.  None of their black alt jerseys had that.

Knicks haven't made the Playoffs in years. There's a chance they are one and dones this postseason. And yet, they are wearing their garbage "City That Never Sleeps" duds. Suns have better City uniforms but still kinda annoying that the one-offs get spammed even in the most important games.

Tired of Nike's NBA, oh well.

Good lord, what are the Knicks wearing tonight? I just flipped on the game for kicks and giggles and I see them wearing what are essentially practice jerseys. 

I love alternates as much as the next guy but if it’s gonna lead to stuff like that, limit it to one alternate per team. Seriously. 

spacer.png

Everytime I see these never ending NBA uniforms, I just think that one day we will get a new commissioner who ends this nightmare. Kill the adds, and make a rule that only allows 3 jerseys per team. It's just so hard to get behind the NBA's uniform crisis...

19 minutes ago, miltonANDlumbergh said:

Everytime I see these never ending NBA uniforms, I just think that one day we will get a new commissioner who ends this nightmare. Kill the adds, and make a rule that only allows 3 jerseys per team. It's just so hard to get behind the NBA's uniform crisis...

Adam Silver has done good stuff, but I certainly don’t understand his seeming desire to turn the NBA into European soccer. Mid-season tournaments, excessive kits, etc.

Knicks wearing them for Game 3 as well, and then the Hawks in MLK jerseys in Game 4. 

All 7 games are now up on LockerVision, looks like the Suns and Jazz will be using city uniforms as their primary homes for the playoffs. 

Portland will also be cranking out the “Oregon” jerseys in a potential game six. 

I think city jerseys are a fun idea for the local fans, but there is no reason any of them should be worn more than four times, let alone as a primary identity in the PLAYOFFS.  Especially a team like the Jazz, whose city uniforms I like, just make them the primaries if that’s how you want your brand to be advertised. Trying to have your cake and eat it too weakens both identities. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Archived