NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

Utah looks so good. They really need to make Red Rocks the full time look. I don't care how redundant I am on that point; this is their best look and it's going to be junked too soon just like the Miami Vice set.

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Utah looks so good. They really need to make Red Rocks the full time look. I don't care how redundant I am on that point; this is their best look and it's going to be junked too soon just like the Miami Vice set.

I'm a little mixed. Undoubtedly, the Red Rocks is a great aesthetic. At the same time, it's basically throwing out the team's history and any link to the moniker to go with it full time. Then again, they could just slap the new colors on a Jazz note and blammo.

But even though they look good, it's pretty wild to me that Utah and now Phoenix (Denver too but it's a modded rainbow so feels less like copying) are just ripping off the Tequila Sunrise look. But hey, nobody is owning it full time so I suppose it's up for grabs? 

...IDK... it's kinda nice when a team's coolest look remains special as an alt but I don't think you're wrong. Same with the Vice set, it looks cool but the Heat already have a great primary set that fits the name better.

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Agreed! Both jerseys have been great, cohesive looks that really evoke Utah better than any of their other looks outside of the Stockton/Malone era set perhaps. I think that this notion that their look should have to have some sort of forced connection to the Jazz of old has been out the window for a long time now and shouldn't get in the way of a potentially better identity.

Sorry, but as a fan, I just can’t get behind the Jazz going red rocks full time. Thier historical brand convolution irritates me, and going red rocks full time would just add more to the problem. As I’ve said before, a switch to red rock colors full time means the Jazz will have had five separate color schemes across 47 years. That’s just too much. 

And also, again, these uniforms were made to honor a very specific area of Utah that is on the opposite, far-south end of the state from SLC. While the Jazz may market themselves as the state’s team, I think there’s better ways of honoring and including the whole state than going all-in on branding inspired by a region that looks nothing at all like where the Jazz actually play. The state’s geography is just too diverse for that, I feel (and yes, that may also go for going all-in on “snowy/icy” branding too). 

16 hours ago, projectjohn said:

Adam Silver has done good stuff, but I certainly don’t understand his seeming desire to turn the NBA into European soccer. Mid-season tournaments, excessive kits, etc.

Money GIF

23 hours ago, miltonANDlumbergh said:

Everytime I see these never ending NBA uniforms, I just think that one day we will get a new commissioner who ends this nightmare. Kill the adds, and make a rule that only allows 3 jerseys per team. It's just so hard to get behind the NBA's uniform crisis...

New commissioner is gonna take control, see all the money those programs make, and do nothing. They’re not gonna stop the cash rolling in just because some old guys on the internet are complaining that their team is wearing a different color.

Finally a good uniform matchup this Playoffs... 

E2cS3fMVcAMsPwf?format=jpg&name=medium

Seems like every other game is White v Black or at least one of the teams in white or black.

Lakers/Suns last night is how playoff basketball should look. What a refreshing matchup. Lakers wearing what they should be wearing at home, Suns wearing what they should be wearing on the road. So nice.

I’ll also say that game 1 of Hawks/Knicks was equally refreshing to me, even if Atlanta was in black; sure it would’ve been even better if Atlanta were in red, but their black jerseys still seem like a perfectly acceptable road alternate to me. With the Knicks in white (at home!), the whole thing really worked.

1 minute ago, throwmesomepics said:

Man I really wish these suns Orange jerseys had a word mark instead of the stupid oversized logo. But lakers suns has been the best looking series so far.

I agree with you on both counts. I'm not really a fan of any NBA jersey that doesn't at least have a wordmark on the front, or at least maybe a monogram.  It screams "practice jersey," which is what exactly these things should be.

BUT, on the bright side, we've had 2 straight games in this series where each team is wearing the correct color for the location (and even the day!) of the game.

21 hours ago, Digby said:

NBA-x-Grateful-Dead-x-Nets-01010669501-g 
the opposite of the Disney/Star Wars licensed merch, but equally bizarre and nonsensical. 

If they only went crazy like in 90's:

8f4f470571eed70a25b8974a6701d55d.jpg

6 hours ago, throwmesomepics said:

Man I really wish these suns Orange jerseys had a word mark instead of the stupid oversized logo. But lakers suns has been the best looking series so far.

I especially like the Suns going with orange though, since the Lakers also have purple. Too bad it’s too similar to the Lakers yellow, otherwise I’d prefer if for every game in LA.

20 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I especially like the Suns going with orange though, since the Lakers also have purple. Too bad it’s too similar to the Lakers yellow, otherwise I’d prefer if for every game in LA.

They've done that before, going back to the 2010 playoffs.  It seemed like there was enough contrast to me, but you can judge for yourself.

3704274.jpg

33 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

They've done that before, going back to the 2010 playoffs.  It seemed like there was enough contrast to me, but you can judge for yourself.

3704274.jpg

The grey side panels really help. Also isn’t the Lakers yellow notoriously more... banana-y and lighter since the Nike era started. (I think I saw someone use the term banana-y on this site before) Therefore being harder to contrast? We saw what happened with two teams not too long ago. Wasn’t it the Thunder and Hawks?

On 5/26/2021 at 10:48 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is exactly why I constantly complain about the 9,876 jerseys the NBA rolls out. Some teams just shouldn't be touched  i.e  Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks but here's a jersey set for Utah, as DG_thenNowForever says, looks good and makes sense(more than Jazz note), and the NBA takes them away every year or two. Look at Atlanta now, that set should be their set for years, but it won't. I'm a Knick fan(that's bad enough) and I couldn't believe how awful those black jerseys that they wore in game 2 were. Terrible, just terrible.

Curious: does anyone have any quantitative data on just how much revenue the NBA makes off all these alternate uniforms from a sales and marketing standpoint? (I can't imagine they make $ from the actual players' uniforms themselves, but from those sold in stores to consumers, along with whatever caps, t-shirts, sweaters, et. al is sold, if it even is--I don't know.)

I do know this: Saturday Night I tuned in to the Grizzlies vs Jazz game. Despite my chagrin over the overuse light blue+navy across North American sports, there's something I really like about Memphis' light blue alts. Of course their chest scripts & numbers are dang near illegible at times, but it's a unique look for them and of course I'm glad they went back to using the inline. I am curious, though, how different it'd look if the inlines were yellow instead of the base color of the uniform.

But the biggest impression, and it took me about five minutes into the game to realize it, was that both teams were actually wearing their designated primaries (I guess?). True, Utah was wearing white on the road, for what reason I don't know, and Memphis was in their alts, but still...they weren't wearing the crazy alts. That in itself was refreshing to see! I can't remember but it looked like the same was true of Portland vs Denver as well. 

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Curious: does anyone have any quantitative data on just how much revenue the NBA makes off all these alternate uniforms from a sales and marketing standpoint? (I can't imagine they make $ from the actual players' uniforms themselves, but from those sold in stores to consumers, along with whatever caps, t-shirts, sweaters, et. al is sold, if it even is--I don't know.)

I do know this: Saturday Night I tuned in to the Grizzlies vs Jazz game. Despite my chagrin over the overuse light blue+navy across North American sports, there's something I really like about Memphis' light blue alts. Of course their chest scripts & numbers are dang near illegible at times, but it's a unique look for them and of course I'm glad they went back to using the inline. I am curious, though, how different it'd look if the inlines were yellow instead of the base color of the uniform.

But the biggest impression, and it took me about five minutes into the game to realize it, was that both teams were actually wearing their designated primaries (I guess?). True, Utah was wearing white on the road, for what reason I don't know, and Memphis was in their alts, but still...they weren't wearing the crazy alts. That in itself was refreshing to see! I can't remember but it looked like the same was true of Portland vs Denver as well. 

Enough for them to continue to make them...