NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, joekono said:

This is exactly why I constantly complain about the 9,876 jerseys the NBA rolls out. Some teams just shouldn't be touched  i.e  Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks but here's a jersey set for Utah, as DG_thenNowForever says, looks good and makes sense(more than Jazz note), and the NBA takes them away every year or two. Look at Atlanta now, that set should be their set for years, but it won't. I'm a Knick fan(that's bad enough) and I couldn't believe how awful those black jerseys that they wore in game 2 were. Terrible, just terrible.

The Jazz could easily rebrand with the Red Rock look full-time if they wanted to. It's not like Nike's stopping them from doing it. They're choosing to stick with navy, green and gold.

If anything, the Jazz are an argument in favor of the current program. It allows teams to experiment with radically different ideas without having to fully commit to a rebrand if those ideas aren't popular.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

18 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The grey side panels really help. Also isn’t the Lakers yellow notoriously more... banana-y and lighter since the Nike era started. (I think I saw someone use the term banana-y on this site before) Therefore being harder to contrast? We saw what happened with two teams not too long ago. Wasn’t it the Thunder and Hawks?

Yeah, the grey side panels do help with the contrast.  You're right, I think the Lakers' yellow is more banana-y than it was back in 2010, but I feel like that might even help with the contrast.  I don't know, I think we'd have to see it in live action to see whether there would be enough contrast,  butI don't think the NBA wants to risk that, especially during the playoffs.  So while I think it could work, they probably just want to err on the side of caution and have PHX only wear purple or black when the Lakers are in yellow.  Better safe than sorry, I guess.

The game from this season you are referring to was indeed Thunder-Hawks, but that was red-vs-orange and was much worse than yellow-vs-orange would have been.

5fce9-16160513029214-800.jpg

59 minutes ago, Digby said:

^ I remember a similarly disastrous matchup, i think involving the Hawks too, when the Knicks briefly went orange. It’s not all Nike’s fault!

spacer.png

the jazz branding is just fine to me. the colors are a smooth combination. nothing crazy or gimmicky. but not too basic either. it's just nice and professional. the unis are fine too. i think they'll keep the branding but change their uniforms one day for change's sakes like teams these days. 

unhopeful but i really wanna see them make the red rock jerseys their statement jerseys. not much people like their current yellow statement jerseys apparently. perfect opportunity to keep an extremely beloved jersey and get rid of a jersey that isn't as loved. 

also the original red rock jerseys are close enough to yellow anyways

IMG-7122.gif

I’m first and foremost on team purple for the Jazz, but I’d admittedly warm up a little more to navy if the green were changed to Kelly. That would eliminate the muddy contrast problem the navy/forest green has had since its inception, and liven the look up a bit. Right now, that color scheme is just not working for me and has never looked right, no matter how “neo-retro” the team tries to paint it as.

And yeah, I really don’t care for the gold statement uniforms. Never have, either. When wearing navy/gold/green (or purple/gold/green), in my opinion, the alt should always be green and nothing else. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m first and foremost on team purple for the Jazz, but I’d admittedly warm up a little more to navy if the green were changed to Kelly. That would eliminate the muddy contrast problem the navy/forest green has had since its inception, and liven the look up a bit. Right now, that color scheme is just not working for me and has never looked right, no matter how “neo-retro” the team tries to paint it as.

And yeah, I really don’t care for the gold statement uniforms. Never have, either. When wearing navy/gold/green (or purple/gold/green), in my opinion, the alt should always be green and nothing else. 

Really agree wrt navy/forest. I'm also on team purple. It keeps ties to the New Orleans origin while representing the mountains of Utah. I feel that a cool color (purple, navy, light blue) version of the Red Rocks uniforms could be a nice way to modernize the cartoonish but iconic mountain set. 

BTW, just watched Brooklyn-Boston Game 5. Another game that was black v white, which is boring to watch. Wasted opportunity to have Boston in white instead of green, that gray court does great things for bright uniforms. Still don't like their logos, but the Nets are kinda the Oregon Ducks of the NBA for me, where experimentation is the brand and it works for them. 

On 5/30/2021 at 4:09 PM, SCalderwood said:

I agree with you on both counts. I'm not really a fan of any NBA jersey that doesn't at least have a wordmark on the front, or at least maybe a monogram.  It screams "practice jersey," which is what exactly these things should be.

BUT, on the bright side, we've had 2 straight games in this series where each team is wearing the correct color for the location (and even the day!) of the game.

beyond any blanket problems with logo jerseys, the issue with the orange jersey for me is twofold:

1. the logo lends itself to an off-center treatment, e.g. the Barkley era, just plopping it down in the middle feels very create-a-team

2. of all the colors Phoenix has, why put the mostly orange logo on an orange jersey…?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 5/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, LMU said:

Homer Simpson Animation GIF by FOX TV

I don't remember the whole story, but when the Lakers moved from Minneapolis, it made no sense for them to keep the "Lakers " name for  "Land of of 1000 Lakes".  This would have pertained to Minnesota. The Lakers could have chosen from many different genres i.e. Stars. I guess they didn't want to rock the boat after having the success they had in Minnesota before they moved to L.A. Then, when the Jazz moved to Utah, they could have used the Lakers name( Salt Lake City) and left "Jazz" for New Orleans. Los Angeles also took the "Dodgers" name for something that had nothing to do with Los Angeles but I guess the establishment of the Lakers and Dodgers just made more sense to keep the name. They just don't make sense now. One thing is for sure, if they keep messing with the identities of these teams with the wacky uniform program, it won't matter. We won't know who the h**l is playing.

My overarching point is when we look back at these playoff games (Which might be legendary, who knows), we're seeing teams in uniforms that dont look like the normal looks. 

This Dame time game, the Nuggets are in a light-ish blue? Lakers-Suns has these great games with neither team in purple? The Wizards have worn grey in all their games? We'll forget these team looks in 3 years then go "oh yeah, the Jazz had those red jerseys then" type of deal.

I'm definitely not a believer in forced home and roads, I just wish these teams made the city uniforms feel a bit more special rather than the primary look they want to wear with the traditional stuff being worn when they "have to". And the city uniforms should follow team branding guidelines, hot take.

And can we do away with "earned"? what's the point? I know, money, but like, why????? Those are just forced bad designs anyways. Teams look the way they do because they picked that in rebranding. These kinda 1-off alts are just, there, and seem like were scraping the barrel for ideas.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 6/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I don't mind the gold.  RIP Mark Eaton.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/mark-eaton-of-the-utah-jazz-stands-on-the-court-during-an-news-photo/886285

I think I’ve said this before but I think the best the Jazz have looked in a long time was right after their rebrand to their current logo set and home and away uniform. While the sleeved jersey was a huge miss, the other 3 uniforms were top 10 easily in the league. 
While the red rocks look isn’t bad in a vacuum, it definitely doesn’t work for the Jazz. Maybe if the team weren’t called the Jazz I’d like it better. Or if these sets didn’t almost replace what was my favorite Jazz look that they’ve had. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

While the red rocks look is a nice little departure from their primary look, and I will admit that it does look good, it's also very... solemn, and dare I say, a little on the drab side?  It's not very... yes, I'm going to say it... "jazzy."  I don't see it as a look that has long term staying power if it had to stand on its own.

If the Jazz really did switch to the red rocks identity fulltime, I think that after a few years people would be like, "Man, remember when the Jazz wore blue, green, and yellow, and had that classic J-note logo?  They've got to switch back to those.  That was such a fun identity. That's what the Jazz should look like."  Weren't people really happy when they switched back to this look about 10 years ago? I know I was.

And I agree with those that said they should brighten up that green to a kelly green.

Archived