NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

Just now, O.C.D said:

He does go out of his way for attention and it's not a new thing. The TV special on his way out of Cleveland, the televised unveiling of "the 3" in Miami. The question of what his number will be is a scenario he created and it's been rehashed several times. He's pretty active on various social media platforms as well. He's in the new Space Jam lol. He likes attention.

You're right that he'd be getting attention either way, but he seems to relish it more than some of his peers.

The Decision was dumb, is dumb, and always will be dumb. Even as someone who likes LeBron I can admit that. 

As for the bolded parts, I really just can’t find it in me to care that much about this. Like I said, I like LeBron, but the discussion around him, especially by people who will find any reason to hate on him, is incredibly exhausting. That can be said about the purely basketball discussions about LeBron much less whether he craves attention or not. 

spacer.png

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, O.C.D said:

The Clippers should have never ditched the Elton Brand era identity. Great color balance. Superior script word mark. Bold athletic number font looks much better than the subsequent thinner numbers they've twice rebranded to.

The Elton Brand era uniforms were classic basketball uniforms. They could have been iconic if the team wasn't so bad

put me in the "they should've switched to teal and orange in the '90s and kept it until the present day" camp, then. being Another Red/Blue Team with a logo nearly identical to the far more successful older brother whose arena you bum around in was a stupidly weak identity, no matter how many decades it lasted.

53Ocz8U.png

1 hour ago, kimball said:

It's not old news considering the fact that AD is keeping No. 3 and not switching to No. 23.

That part isn't relevant to what I said. AD keeping the number 3 is certainly a new development, but that's tucked away in the article and the article itself is even titled in the url "los angeles lakers lebron james plans to change jersey number..." which has been relatively common knowledge for a few years now.  He didn't announce anything. He didn't push anything yet. This "leak" came from a reporter. 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

LeBron is LeBron, but ESPN and the media in general is who makes him into what's so damn annoying. I swear SportsCenter shares more of his Tweets than actual highlights. But, he does go out of his way to chime into a lot of things and I'm not entirely convinced that he believes half of what he says or if it's just for $$$$ sake.

That's entirely subjective and based on your opinion of him.

He tweets things, and posts things, like every other modern athlete does except he's the most famous of them all so his words carry more notoriety than your average professional athlete.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

58 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

He does go out of his way for attention and it's not a new thing. The TV special on his way out of Cleveland, the televised unveiling of "the 3" in Miami.

That was over a decade ago man lmao. Let it go lol. I don't judge a person based off of a few mistakes when they were in their early 20's (assuming the mistake wasn't egregious or otherwise greatly harmed themselves/another human). 

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

The question of what his number will be is a scenario he created and it's been rehashed several times. He's pretty active on various social media platforms as well. 

This... just didn't happen lmao. Or at least it's greatly overexaggerated. He only changed it to defer to AD, otherwise he would never have done so. As for the latter, so is nearly every other professional athlete on this planet. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

My opinion on the matter is that the home team should be in white, but I leave it up to the road team to wear whatever colored primary or alt they want.  I think that was kind of the generally unwritten rule from like 1995ish (when alts started to become common)  to 2015ish (around the time when the NBA started to go nuts). 

That PHI @ TOR pic you have above doesn't really bother me. because at least the home team is in white, and the road team is not only just in a color, but an actual TEAM color.  Honestly, especially these days, that is enough to make me extremely happy.  Just my opinion.

I totally share that sentiment.

I've been wondering for a while, why colored jerseys look so wrong at home in the NBA. I mean it looks right after they changed it in the NHL. I actually came up with the solution during these playoffs.

It's the contrast between the jerseys and the court. When the Knicks wear blue at home it blends in with the blue courtlines and the paint. So the away team in white is so much more visible.

In the NHL it's the other way around, because the ice is, you guessed it, white.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

8 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

I've been wondering for a while, why colored jerseys look so wrong at home in the NBA. I mean it looks right after they changed it in the NHL. I actually came up with the solution during these playoffs.

It's the contrast between the jerseys and the court. When the Knicks wear blue at home it blends in with the blue courtlines and the paint. So the away team in white is so much more visible.

In the NHL it's the other way around, because the ice is, you guessed it, white.

Agreed. It's always better for the home team to wear a colored uniform that isn't the color of the paint area, too. 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:43 PM, Crabcake said:

The Decision was dumb, is dumb, and always will be dumb. Even as someone who likes LeBron I can admit that. 

It might have been dumb, but it was dumb in an entertaining way, which is what following and watching sports often is anyway.

I'm glad he did The Decision. It drew more attention to the NBA than it would normally get in July, it gave us something basketball-related to talk about and look forward to in July, and it gave me something to watch on what otherwise would have probably been a boring uneventful summer evening.

That said, I'm glad that it didn't become a regular thing that star athletes do (that I know of).  So the dumbness of it is kind of isolated and we can look back at it and laugh.

I'm pretty sure that Decision thing was more ESPN's idea than it was LeBron's....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 years later and people are still sore about the Decision? Really? Doesn’t even crack the top ten of things I think about when I think LeBron. I’ve said it before, LeBron makes people delusional (his super fans too, but worse his haters).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 6/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, BBTV said:

Maybe he wants 6 and 23 retired for him since Kobe has 8 and 24.  Can't let Kobe beat him.

Most people have zero retired numbers and two vaccine doses, but LeBron, ah, you get the idea

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

Not saying much when it’s still another black v white match up

True, but this series should be black vs white(when Milwaukee’s at home). 

UTA/LAC should be rwb vs navy/green/gold

PHX/DEN should be purple/orange vs navy/yellow/red.

PHI/ATL should be rwb vs red/yellow.

BKN @ MIL is a situation where black vs. white makes perfect sense.

I'm still not big on color-vs. color.  It just still looks wrong to me and letting it become normal has fueled the mess we see today.  Team at home should be wearing white.

I'll give you an example of where this bothered me.  For Game 1 in Philly, PHI wore red.  For Game 2, also in Philly, ATL wore red.  To me, that should never happen.  I don't think we should ever have a situation where, in back-to-back playoff games on the same court, one team wears a color, then the opposing team wears that same color.  Let's have some consistency so that these don't feel like pickup games.  If PHI is going to wear red at any point during the series, it should be as the road team.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:22 PM, Berlin Wall said:

I don’t mind road teams in white, especially when the key on the court is unpainted and the home team is in a team color. But, I still maintain color vs. color is the best option when possible.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Aside from tradition and the equity that goes along with with it, I primarily prefer dark vs. white* because of guaranteed contrast. Color vs. color works for contrast sometimes, but can also be a total trainwreck (as we’ve seen on a few occasions). Dark vs. white usually cuts out the possibility of those kinds of problem matchups. 

*Exception: Lakers in gold, which is not only traditional but usually contrasts well against most opponents’ colors anyway. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 6/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, SCalderwood said:

It might have been dumb, but it was dumb in an entertaining way, which is what following and watching sports often is anyway.

I'm glad he did The Decision. It drew more attention to the NBA than it would normally get in July, it gave us something basketball-related to talk about and look forward to in July, and it gave me something to watch on what otherwise would have probably been a boring uneventful summer evening.

That said, I'm glad that it didn't become a regular thing that star athletes do (that I know of).  So the dumbness of it is kind of isolated and we can look back at it and laugh.

The idea of holding a press conference to announce who you're signing  with didn't become a regular thing, but it still set the stage for this generation's star players trying to take the easiest possible paths to championships. Durant doesn't go to Golden State, Harden doesn't force Houston's hand to get dealt to Brooklyn, etc.

I'm at least glad some guys like Giannis & Dame realize that finding a way to get your small market team to the mountaintop would be much more rewarding than being part of a mini-dynasty with a superteam. I'm sure even Lebron would admit that the one title with Cleveland carries more weight than the Miami & LA championships combined.

10 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm at least glad some guys like Giannis & Dame realize that finding a way to get your small market team to the mountaintop would be much more rewarding than being part of a mini-dynasty with a superteam. I'm sure even Lebron would admit that the one title with Cleveland carries more weight than the Miami & LA championships combined.

And it’s quite the possibility that neither of those guys get a ring (Dame more than Giannis, but the point stands). LeBron leaving Cleveland was not the problem, it was the fact that he televised it. If LBJ never leaves Cleveland, I don’t think he’d have even 1 ring, at best. The ownership and management didn’t know how to build a competent team, and LeBron would carry them to wins, so they couldn’t exactly rebuild. Small market teams are harder to win with than bigger markets, just because players don’t want to come their. And if you keep getting duds in the draft, it’s even harder to win. Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Larry, Kobe, Dirk, and other 1-team stars had the benefits of playing in big markets (LA, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Dallas, etc.). Cleveland was not(and still isn’t) anywhere near those cities. KD had the same problem with OKC, however, what he did wrong was join a team that was already almost invincible. Reggie Miller, John Stockton, (and likely Damian Lillard) have all learned the hard way that loyalty doesn’t always win championships.

Archived