NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

18 hours ago, bushy said:

Any possibility Nike could end their dumb rule of forcing teams to change their city edition every year ? We’re at the point where some teams came up with their best stuff and can’t be topped. As a Heat fan, NOTHING will come close to their Vice stuff. A lot of teams couldn’t even get out of the gate with good designs to begin with. 

Absolutely not. Nike cares about cash more than they do about putting a good product out there. Same with the NBA even.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/23/2021 at 8:09 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I think the consensus is the opposite. The antlers are unique and recognizable, and cream outlined in black is better than white outlined in cream.

Agreed 100% and I'd venture to guess we could see  cream and/or black versions of that set in the future.  The green earned set is very popular. 

9 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Agreed 100% and I'd venture to guess we could see  cream and/or black versions of that set in the future.  The green earned set is very popular. 

By what metric?

It's where I sit.

Only problem with the Earned color scheme for the Bucks is that I can’t see a good way to make a good white jersey out of it. I love the green/cream/black precisely because the weakest part of their base set is the white/cream clashing.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

25 minutes ago, Digby said:

Only problem with the Earned color scheme for the Bucks is that I can’t see a good way to make a good white jersey out of it. I love the green/cream/black precisely because the weakest part of their base set is the white/cream clashing.

Why use white at all? Simply make the "Icon" cream - it's light enough to function as a white jersey and it's not like the NBA hasn't had non-white "light" colors before. The only issue I could see is if the Icon is required to be white, which would be a funny example of Nike's stupid rules backfiring on them.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, QCS said:

Why use white at all? Simply make the "Icon" cream - it's light enough to function as a white jersey and it's not like the NBA hasn't had non-white "light" colors before. The only issue I could see is if the Icon is required to be white, which would be a funny example of Nike's stupid rules backfiring on them.

I don’t disagree, but I think there’s a requirement in the Nike scheme of the uniforms, which is where the Lakers started to go careening off the track.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Just make the antler green problem solved. And it’s not completely rediculous because deer do get moss and algae and stuff stuck in their antlers sometimes, especially when they are still velvet.

The Bucks opted to wear their blue city edition unis in Atlanta tonight, and the reaction on social media has been very negative from what I've seen. While not the worst city edition design, this choice speaks to my biggest issue with the program, which is a total lack of restraint. Wearing these in an opposing arena with no ability to even use a special court design as context is not smart, and a large majority of people are just left confused as to why the Bucks are wearing blue. Not a good look in an important ECF game.

That said, I dig the Hawks wearing red at home. That's an example of when bending traditional uniform norms can be good.

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, henburg said:

The Bucks opted to wear their blue city edition unis in Atlanta tonight, and the reaction on social media has been very negative from what I've seen. While not the worst city edition design, this choice speaks to my biggest issue with the program, which is a total lack of restraint. Wearing these in an opposing arena with no ability to even use a special court design as context is not smart, and a large majority of people are just left confused as to why the Bucks are wearing blue. Not a good look in an important ECF game.

That said, I dig the Hawks wearing red at home. That's an example of when bending traditional uniform norms can be good.

I feel like the NBA 2K series helped create this situation. Tons of NBA players play 2k. Getting to pick your game uniform (especially in career mode) has become a more prominent feature of the game. I think Nike took that into consideration when they added more uniform options.

I think life is imitating art and I agree it's a bad look and confusing to a lot of fans.

24 minutes ago, henburg said:

We sort of have different views on this, but I guess that's the point of these discussions.

I think those Bucks jerseys are pretty hideous, but I'm not strongly against them, because they are blue, and blue is a team color.  And I think they added blue to their color scheme in the first place to represent the Great Lakes... which sort of makes sense for Wisconsin, and ties in to the whole "nature" vibe they sort of have going on. So it at least feels a little purposeful. If they wanted that to be their only alt, I'd actually be okay with it.  Since it is a 2nd or 3rd alt, that's really my main complaint about it, because I don't think teams should have more than 3 total jerseys. In fact, I actually think I like this jersey more than their green antlers jersey, because I also don't think teams should have 2 different jerseys that are the same color.

My bigger complaint is the Hawks wearing red at home.  They are at home, so they should be wearing white.  That actually bothers me more than the Bucks in blue.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, Tru3 said:

what are people's thoughts on the bucks earned? i feel like the standard green jersey (icon) is better with the modern "rainbow" instead of the earned edition's antlers

I find the antlers uniform far more fitting than the blue set, that's for sure.  It looks nice, it stands out with an element that wouldn't make sense for anybody else but fits the Bucks perfectly, I wouldn't be opposed to a cream version.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This is legit my first time seeing the Bucks blues...I hope it'll be the last.  Those things are NOT it.

Anyway, in regards to the ever-changing aesthetics going on in the L, not to mention the swoosh-shaped tail wagging the silver dog, here's what I think: I believe we'll see the same thing that happened up in Oregon eventually happen in the NBA.  There's only so many different ways to be creative and inventive before the well runs dry, and if recent history up in Eugene proves the example, usually the ideas get even more ridiculous right before that well runs dry.  Reference the literal duck-cosplay joints the Oregon football team once trotted out--that after years and years of variations on wings, chromedomes, six different kinds of yellow and green, irridescent numbers, and the like.  Yes, they still have a couple uniform variants up there now, but it's mostly just base colors; the design itself is mostly restrained now.  Same thing with the NFL: the creative asylum ran a little amok what with the Browns and Buccaneers looking like clownshows for about five years apiece; both have since righted their senses (as, to a degree, did Jacksonville, ESPECIALLY with those helmets) since allowing the creative overlords carte blanche to cosplay them as...whatever the heck they were.   (It still ain't too late for you to correct your cosplay joints, Tennessee...although I believe we'll see something new out of them in the next year or two.)  

So, too, might it go with the NBA: the problem with always trying to push boundaries is that eventually you'll run into a cliff, and at the rate they/Nike keep pumping these things out, there's only going to be so many different ways to do so before things become either repetitive, derivative, or both.  It is also in this cycle that, for those who still care about it, you really begin to see just how valuable time-honored classics really become, and it won't take long for folks to start pining for those again.  (Case in point: the current Atlanta Hawks primaries--to the degree that they are primary--in that they're very obviously based on a previous set in their history, classically styled, and done so to great effect.  Now they just need to quit changing primaries and stick to something for more than a handful of years at a time.)

Or either this is just the GomL inner-geezer in me optimistically hoping that one day this current uniform cirque de soleis trend will stop itself and good sense will reign again.  Maybe, maybe not...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My wife, who doesn't care a slight bit about jerseys, first question when I turned on the game was, "Wait... are the Bucks in blue? Aren't they normally green?"

Tells you everything about this nonsense. The NBA and Nike are really over doing it with these alternate jerseys. It's crazy that when you see two teams paired against each other wearing their "normal" attire, it's an odd site to see.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, Krudler said:

I think the Hawks main uniforms suffer from Houston Astros disease and have good ideas, but are too bland and could be way better.

Agree with this 1000% especially of both teams nicknames invoke something more than plain. The Astros and the futuristic sound to the name as well as the Hawks invoking swiftness, they both could came up with something more interesting while not being over the top

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I know better, but when I turned on the game last night I legit thought they were showing highlights of Atlanta/OKC.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is why the league needs a rule about alternates in the playoffs. You have to protect the teams from themselves because the teams can't be trusted to not make boneheaded choices like that. See: Cavs, 2016 and Raptors, 2019. I don't think it's an insane request that you should wear your actual colors in your most important games. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 hours ago, Sport said:

This is why the league needs a rule about alternates in the playoffs. You have to protect the teams from themselves because the teams can't be trusted to not make boneheaded choices like that. See: Cavs, 2016 and Raptors, 2019. I don't think it's an insane request that you should wear your actual colors in your most important games. 

Blue IS a Bucks color, though.  I don't see anything wrong with a blue Bucks jersey any more than I would with an orange Suns jersey, a red Pistons jersey, a yellow Cavs jersey, etc.  I think those are all justifiable, even in the playoffs, and even if it were a Game 7 type situation.

32 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

Blue IS a Bucks color, though.  I don't see anything wrong with a blue Bucks jersey any more than I would with an orange Suns jersey, a red Pistons jersey, a yellow Cavs jersey, etc.  I think those are all justifiable, even in the playoffs, and even if it were a Game 7 type situation.

Blue is a minor tertiary color though, where as Suns orange, Pistons red, and Cavs gold are still major/primary colors. 

I wouldn't want to see a silver/gray Blazers jersey in the conference finals, or a gold Celtics jersey, or a gray Knicks jersey. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

54 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

I was waiting for somebody to do this. That's a picked nit if I've ever seen one and a pretty obvious false equivalence. With the Suns in orange, Pistons in red, or the Cavs in yellow they're in their secondary colors, heavily used in their home, road, and alternate uniforms and have been in their color schema for decades. They're established colors that we all associate with those teams. Blue is barely a Bucks color, completely absent from their primary logo, and mostly hidden in their normal home and road uniforms. If the Suns wear orange they're still recognizable as the Suns. If the Bucks wear blue they look like the Mavericks, or at least the Not Bucks, and that's why there was a million tweets asking why the Bucks were in blue. 

For brand strength purposes teams should maintain consistency in how they appear, especially when on a larger stage like the conference finals . I don't think that's an unreasonable stance. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived