NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

On 7/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, SCalderwood said:

I don't see the similarities, either.  They have a slanted wordmark... that's about it.

Color, composition, number placement…Maybe not perfect, but the lineage is there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Color, composition, number placement…Maybe not perfect, but the lineage is there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah, still not seeing it.  The yellow stands out as one big difference, and yes the other colors are the same, but those are literally just their team colors, so that shouldn't be that surprising.  And even then, the way the colors are distributed is quite different.

The number placement is a direct result of the slanted wordmark, which I already mentioned as the only really noticeable similarity.  (You're usually not going to put the number in the center of a jersey that has a slanted wordmark - it's a balance issue.)

There are way too many design differences between these two jerseys to say that one was based on the other.  I didn't care to read the Nike-speak on these, but if they didn't directly mention something about these using their old jerseys for inspiration, then I doubt that is what they were going for.  And if that IS what they were going for, they could have done a much, much, much better job in that regard.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I can see how we might draw that conclusion, but I still think it's a stretch. And if it really is an evolution of the Barkley look, then I'm guessing it  is more of a happy accident and not out of intent. 

And even so, I had forgotten there was a black version of that '90s set. When I think of that era, I think of the purple and white primaries. If they wanted something to be an homage of that era, I'd think they'd build off the primaries. As always, happy to be wrong. But I think any similarities between the two is merely coincidental. 

On 7/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 7/13/2021 at 2:56 AM, SCalderwood said:

Yeah, still not seeing it.  The yellow stands out as one big difference, and yes the other colors are the same, but those are literally just their team colors, so that shouldn't be that surprising.  And even then, the way the colors are distributed is quite different.

The number placement is a direct result of the slanted wordmark, which I already mentioned as the only really noticeable similarity.  (You're usually not going to put the number in the center of a jersey that has a slanted wordmark - it's a balance issue.)

There are way too many design differences between these two jerseys to say that one was based on the other.  I didn't care to read the Nike-speak on these, but if they didn't directly mention something about these using their old jerseys for inspiration, then I doubt that is what they were going for.  And if that IS what they were going for, they could have done a much, much, much better job in that regard.

I'm not seeing it either, except for from a distance--and even then, I have to squint to really see the resemblance. That added to the fact that the Utah red rock alts already did the color-gradient thing, and did/do so better than the above. 

(And until these alternates, I legit have never in my life heard of the Phoenix area referred to as "The Valley", so if someone wants to educate a brotha on that, I'm all ears eyes.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 hours ago, tBBP said:

(And until these alternates, I legit have never in my life heard of the Phoenix area referred to as "The Valley", so if someone wants to educate a brotha on that, I'm all ears eyes.)

Phoenix has long been known as Valley of the Sun, as it is lower in altitude than most areas of Arizona (and I just learned it's in the Salt River Valley). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's dumb.  Should the Sixers rebrand as the "Delaware Valley Sixers" since that's what the Phila area is known as on both PA and Jersey sides?  It's generic - since many cities were founded near water ways, there's a lot of metro areas in 'valleys'.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It's dumb.  Should the Sixers rebrand as the "Delaware Valley Sixers" since that's what the Phila area is known as on both PA and Jersey sides?  It's generic - since many cities were founded near water ways, there's a lot of metro areas in 'valleys'.  

The Suns haven't rebranded as "The Valley Suns".

If Philly wants to do a City jersey with Delaware Valley on it go for it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

25 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

As a born and raised resident of Phoenix (until this past year), the Valley is perfectly acceptable. Especially with the “Valley Boys” bubble run happening so recently (Suns in 5 😉) (knock on wood)

Aged like cheese left outside in a Phoenix summer 🤡

17 minutes ago, jb1322 said:

the sign literally has Portland on it and they choose to go with Oregon 

Well ... because the jersey's Nike speak talks about something, something honoring the state as a whole, or whatnot. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Well ... because the jersey's Nike speak talks about something, something honoring the state as a whole, or whatnot. 

For the City Edition jersey. Got it.

On 7/13/2021 at 3:56 AM, SCalderwood said:

Broadly speaking, there have been two Phoenix jersey branding lineages in their history. One is more classic, mostly purple/orange/white, classic centered number and serifed arch wordmark. The other is more modern, with the streaking lines full-width across the chest, the tilted workmarks and off-center numbers, and the introduction of black.

This City jersey fits in more with that second lineage, and picks up the torch particularly since that early-10s rebrand that also fit in there relegated the black jersey to a little-used, purple-free alternate. I don't think it's intended to be a 90s fauxback, or any attempt at direct aping. Just that they took some design cues from that era, the full-width graphic and slanted wordmark and off-center number and full team-color stripe, that are relatively lesser used in the NBA outside of Phoenix, and unlike a lot of the City designs (Milwaukee or Houston or Dallas) that came entirely out of left-field. That's all! 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

19 hours ago, kimball said:

I get that and I like that jersey, but when it was unveiled I did think it was a little odd that the first time they make a big show about the not-Portland parts of Oregon, the entry point is one of the most distinctive Portland landmarks. But it is recognizable so I don't know if I have a better idea. Maybe national forest fonts, e.g. Mt Hood?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 7/9/2021 at 9:36 AM, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png 

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why this set is so universally hated around these parts. It gets rid of all the dumb 90s stuff while still keeping the spirit of the original alive. Even with the black I’d say it’s the best uniforms they’ve ever had, and if they changed the black to purple (and of course get rid of the sleeves on the orange jersey, but that’s a given) and it’d be perfect.

ExJworW.png

On 7/9/2021 at 8:36 AM, gosioux76 said:

I don't disagree that The Valley jerseys look nice, but I'm having a hard time seeing them as an evolution from the Barkley era uniforms. If anything, the 2013-14 was the closest the Suns have come to building off that look, and it was a poor attempt at that. I don't see the similarities, though, in the current city jersey.

spacer.png 

They never should have gotten rid of the sunburst set.  Everything they've had since then hasn't even come remotely close to being as good.

Archived