NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

Shame.  They’ll be missing “that Spalding touch!!!”. 

spacer.png

I’ve associated Spalding with basketball since I first saw that ad, although IIRC the NBA was still using a different ball and didn’t adopt Spalding as the official manufacturer until a couple years later. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spalding is the only ball I've ever known the NBA to use, even if they technically used Wilson when I was born.  I also associate Spalding with basketball.  Mostly because these days that's all I ever see it associated with.  I remember when Spalding had everything, even if they were eventually relegated to the K-Marts of the retail world.  I'm not sure if that was by design or if they were just a victim of the consolidation of the mom-pop sporting goods stores into the big boxes that had deals with the Nikes and whoever else.

Speaking of which, Wilson is also a name that you don't see often anymore - at least in mainstream sports.  I associate Wilson with two things - tennis and footballs, but when I was a lad, that W was on just about everything.  Not quite as ubiquitous as the swoosh, but still everywhere.

EDIT:

If the league wanted to be safe, they'd just continue the manufacture of the balls wherever they're actually made, and just switch the logos - like how Nike did it with the Ripon jerseys - just to avoid the uproar from a few years ago when they tried the silly 2-panel ball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Spalding is the only ball I've ever known the NBA to use, even if they technically used Wilson when I was born.  I also associate Spalding with basketball.  Mostly because these days that's all I ever see it associated with.  I remember when Spalding had everything, even if they were eventually relegated to the K-Marts of the retail world.  I'm not sure if that was by design or if they were just a victim of the consolidation of the mom-pop sporting goods stores into the big boxes that had deals with the Nikes and whoever else.

Speaking of which, Wilson is also a name that you don't see often anymore - at least in mainstream sports.  I associate Wilson with two things - tennis and footballs, but when I was a lad, that W was on just about everything.  Not quite as ubiquitous as the swoosh, but still everywhere.

EDIT:

If the league wanted to be safe, they'd just continue the manufacture of the balls wherever they're actually made, and just switch the logos - like how Nike did it with the Ripon jerseys - just to avoid the uproar from a few years ago when they tried the silly 2-panel ball.

I was thinking about how much Wilson has shrunk the other day when a friend ask me to suggest a good football. I told him many prefer the Wilson GST, though I preferred the overall shape and laces of the Nike Vapor One. I remember how when Nike entered the football market, it forced the dominant Wilson, who had become complacent making NFL game balls and collegiate 1001s and 1005s all using the same old technology, to actually do some innovation, leading to the GST. The GST in turn made Nike be innovative with the Vapor One.

I’m a volleyballer, and while in the US indoor volleyballs were long dominated by foreign providers like Mikasa, Tachikara, and Molten, outdoor volleyballs in the US were the domain of Spalding and later Wilson. I still remember my old leather Spalding Top Flight 18, which was never round, even when I got it. Wilson still makes the AVP game ball, though I personally prefer the Mikasa Beach Champ that FIVB uses.

Interestingly in volleyball, I don’t believe any major league, indoor or out, use a leather game ball anymore. While the manufacturers like Mikasa, Tachikara, and Molten still make leather balls for the more old school among us, for at least ten or so years, game balls in the NCAA, Olympics, European pro leagues, AVP, etc., have all been composite.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I was thinking about how much Wilson has shrunk the other day when a friend ask me to suggest a good football. I told him many prefer the Wilson GST, though I preferred the overall shape and laces of the Nike Vapor One. I remember how when Nike entered the football market, it forced the dominant Wilson, who had become complacent making NFL game balls and collegiate 1001s and 1005s all using the same old technology, to actually do some innovation, leading to the GST. The GST in turn made Nike be innovative with the Vapor One.

I’m a volleyballer, and while in the US indoor volleyballs were long dominated by foreign providers like Mikasa, Tachikara, and Molten, outdoor volleyballs in the US were the domain of Spalding and later Wilson. I still remember my old leather Spalding Top Flight 18, which was never round, even when I got it. Wilson still makes the AVP game ball, though I personally prefer the Mikasa Beach Champ that FIVB uses.

Interestingly in volleyball, I don’t believe any major league, indoor or out, use a leather game ball anymore. While the manufacturers like Mikasa, Tachikara, and Molten still make leather balls for the more old school among us, for at least ten or so years, game balls in the NCAA, Olympics, European pro leagues, AVP, etc., have all been composite.

What's the difference between a Nike and Wilson football?  Why would one be a lot better than the other?  Just the grip?  I have a deflated HS Wilson game ball from the '90s somewhere in my basement - I think.  IIRC it was also the NCAA version from back then... and it was pretty slick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As I recall NCAA has a more broad ball spec than the NFL, so the different manufacturers are able to put their own unique stamp on the ball design. To me the biggest difference between the Wilson GST and the Nike Vapor One is that the Nike ball comes to a sharper point while the GST is just slightly more rounded. Even going back to Nike’s original game balls, the Nikes seemed to spiral better—I’m not sure if that’s solely due to the different shape or if the internals of the ball is designed to spiral better. I recall when Wilson designed the GST in response to Nike, they put out some marketing copy about how the GST had new internal features to help the ball spiral better.

In the end, it’s all down to personal preference as to what you can throw better, and for me, that’s the Nike Vapor One.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 5/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, pepis21 said:

Intresting news, because at this moment except Spalding and Molten no one other produce Genuine Leather balls. It's intresting if Spalding after losing NBA also stop make them or maybe Euroleague receive leather ball? From the announcement It look like WNBA will back to Leather too after years of using Composite balls.

I think the WNBA will continue to use composite balls.

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The W was even on NFL 49ers jerseys. But you're right: they're best known for NFL The Duke footballs, tennis balls, beach volleyballs and college basketballs. (NCAA tourney only; leagues use Nike, Spalding, Wilson and others.)

Rawlings provided the NCAA balls before Wilson took over.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, pepis21 said:

Intresting news, because at this moment except Spalding and Molten no one other produce Genuine Leather balls. It's intresting if Spalding after losing NBA also stop make them or maybe Euroleague receive leather ball? From the announcement It look like WNBA will back to Leather too after years of using Composite balls. I assume Wilson will try to push idea of pebbles on channels like they do on their other balls.

I'm curious of the design if they stay with current and only change a manufacturer logo or prepare something new.

This is my vision, I made it based on old NBA ball by Wilson and their current balls:

Wilson-NBABall.jpg

This'll probably go over as well as the last time they tried to change the ball...

Depends on how they handle it.  The 2007 (I think?) new ball experiment failed miserably because the players' union wasn't consulted in the ball's redesign.  Instead they got part of a summer to get used to it.  The thing didn't even last half a season before even David Stern was like, "yeah, screw this; I'm not dying on this hill."

If the ball is virtually the same with a change of logo and a minimum of alterations in materials/design, the players union may sign off on it and the average fan may not even notice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Intresting fact. Infamous 06/07 ball was tested during 2006 All Star Weekend, so is not excatly that players didn't have any contact with new ball before suprised change, although it was short amount of time.

30 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

This'll probably go over as well as the last time they tried to change the ball...

Probably won't because Wilson ball will be made from the same Horween leather as Spalding and this time Players union will be involve into design process.

4r2eer.png

On 5/15/2020 at 5:22 AM, Gothamite said:

Shame.  They’ll be missing “that Spalding touch!!!”. 

spacer.png

I’ve associated Spalding with basketball since I first saw that ad, although IIRC the NBA was still using a different ball and didn’t adopt Spalding as the official manufacturer until a couple years later. 

I've seen that ad about a million times in old Power Man and Iron Fist comic books. At the time, I didn't know who Rick Barry was, but I did like the smart dress shirt and sweater vest combo.

That ad triggers my nostalgia even more so than the Hostess ads, TBH. Though nothing can touch the Atari ads of the era.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I guess it's about time to start this topic with the first bit of actual (official) news from the Mavs:

VERY happy to see they're doing these. They're gonna sell AMAZINGLY WELL down here. I'll at least be buying a shirsey of Luka, if not an actual replica jersey and other related tshirts, hoodies, etc. 

Yeah, I’m really thrilled about the Mavericks too. I’m hoping for a matching court as well! I’m not a Mavericks fan, but if they sell any classic edition caps, I may have to snag one.

I’m looking forwards to see who else busts out the classic editions as well; I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more teams were to jump on the 90’s trend before it’s too late. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Mavs throwbacks, plus some kind of Fiesta jersey for the Spurs...plus maybe some good-looking changes for the Hawks...2020-21 is looking to be a good year.

edit: The Grizzlies will also wear Vancouver throwback #2 (2000 edition)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thinking back to the last time they wore these (2015), the mavs have improved so much. We had an aging dirk, Chandler parsons, Raymond Felton, Charlie Villanueva, and had just gotten rid of Rajon Rondo. 

Excellent!

Really happy to see the Mavs embrace green for next year. Their particular blue and blue uniforms are so drab; it's nice to see an underrused shade of green return to the NBA. Dallas has always looked good when they've worn green.  

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Oddly enough, only 1 Classic Edition for next season was worn in the '90s.

Wow, I’m actually pretty shocked to hear that! Of course you don’t have to say anything haha, but just throwing a general guess out into the universe...Nets?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Given that the Hornets have gone through all three original jerseys, do you know if we'll be getting another Throwback this year? Maybe to the side panel era or even the Bobcats?

the user formerly known as cdclt

26 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Oddly enough, only 1 Classic Edition for next season was worn in the '90s.

Maybe rockets, pacers, or pistons?

My best guess is suns though.

Excellent!

Archived