NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

This is odd - 

When we see the back, it looks like stripes are at the top of the shoulders,in theory continued from the front...

charlotte-hornets-new-uniform-back-2020-2021.jpg

But no stripes from the front actually go over the shoulder:

charlotte-hornets-new-uniforms-pinstripes-teal-2020-2021-sportslogosnet.jpg

Everything is vertical except for the short diagonal pinstripes on the back shoulder. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of Nike drawing attention to its uniform patterns. It wouldn't be Nike if they didn't highlight minor template design choices that don't otherwise make sense.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wish they would have done the multi-color pinstripes. Without the diversity of stripe color, they're just ... there.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Not sold on the Hornets Jerseys so far. A few things that come to mind:

• The Hornets' now former set worked great! Except for the city & alternates.

• Adding pinstripes to their current branding isn't working so far. And in all seriousness, Charlotte needs to extend their pinstripes to the shorts. To hell with their history & tradition of pinstripes on tops only. (Side note: If the New Orleans Hornets, Orlando Magic of the 90's, & Dwight Howard era can do pinstripes right, so can Charlotte! although Orlando has a branding crisis as well.)

• Needs more purple on both jerseys. Also, contrast between the pinstripes and the NOB needs to be better. This is where different colored pinstripes can work. Or... this will sound blasphemous to Hornets fans, introduce gold (from NOLA) or blue (Bobcats) ONLY as an accent color for the names or pinstripes. Just a thought...

• At least they didn't do what Atlanta did and be mostly bland.

Overall, I think this jersey can work out with a few more tweaks and a purple jersey. But for now, not sold on it yet...

I like the new court with the exception of the logo at center court. I've never understood the purpose of that logo. I would've kept the primary or used the side facing alternate.

On a side note: Did anyone else notice they have a section on the unveiling website dedicated to Lendingtree? Like thats a key aspect to the uniform. I had an idea... if everyone in the arena (across the NBA) were to boo mercilessly any company that was a jersey sponsor, wouldn't that kill the value of that ad space? And in theory potentially kill the ads altogether? I've booed Lendingtree at Hornets games but it's never caught on.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

18 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I had an idea... if everyone in the arena (across the NBA) were to boo mercilessly any company that was a jersey sponsor, wouldn't that kill the value of that ad space? And in theory potentially kill the ads altogether? 

No to both.

22 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

But why on Earth would a company PAY to be hated, booed, and ridiculed?

Because ads are about exposure, especially on TV, and owners don't really care if fans don't like a non-controversial sponsor patch. 

In the end you're not booing Lending Tree...you're booing the team owner. 

I think adding pinstripes is a big improvement for the Hornets, but I agree that there's a glaring lack of purple. In my mind, this could be an easy fix: on the white jersey, have the doubled-up stripes be teal and purple. And white and purple double stripes on the teal jersey. Easy.

Super glad to see the pinstripes back, this is an upgrade any way you slice it. It could use more purple for certain, but I'm glad to see "Charlotte" back on the primary jerseys and the return of pinstripes.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Wow I was so hype for the return of pinstripes, but I guess I was wishing upon the Monkey's Paw. These do not look good. Just so many things wrong with this uniform.

1) The purple being almost completely absent outside of outlines

2) The fonts just not looking good at all combined with the pinstripes

3) The weird diagonal stripes on the back of the jersey

4) The numbers being way too big

5) The lack of striping on the shorts (although I know this was the case on the original unis too, still don't like the inconsistency)

6) The plain and boring sleeve and neck coloring

7) The terrible logo placement on the side shorts (it should be way smaller and lower)

Had an opportunity to do something great and they botched it. It's a pretty lateral move imo.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

I can't help but look at these through the prism of the original set.

By using single-lined, darker tones, the pinstripes on the original set were far more muted. They were there, but they weren't shouting at you. 

The white, double-lined pinstripes on this new set are obnoxious by comparison. They're unnecessary noise. 

Also, I don't love the striped piping of the old set, but the thick solid-color trim on the new set is probably its worst feature, especially the white trim on the teal jersey. It's jarring. 

This new set is a significant downgrade from their most recent jerseys, and certainly from the original set. 

spacer.png

Kind of a failure to me, they look washed out beyond belief and made the court look worse. How can we take the strongest aspects of the franchise and make them worse? - is the question I imagine Nike asked themselves when going through the conceptual phase. The pinstripes should be fun but these just fade away, and purple has been nearly stripped on the whole making the logo on the shorts look way out of place. Could've done so much better, but then again I have low standards for Nike's NBA ventures thus far, so it could've been much worse at the same time.

Since we can all agree that there needs to be more purple, I decided to (roughly) mock up what that would look like, along with a purple version and another set that switches around the coloring:

oOGBX6Q.png

The new uniforms with these changes, along with pinstripes on the shorts, could have been some of the best in the NBA. Instead I would liken it to what's happening in the world of corporate design now: stripped down design trying to act as a throwback. The decisions they went with meant we ended up with something way too bland.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Archived