NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JTernup said:

I’m somewhat surprised by the dislike for Jordan on the statement jerseys. I personally see Air Jordan brand as it’s own thing that has transcended MJ himself. I suppose being young enough to never see prime Jordan, being a fan of a team that didn’t face the disappointment he caused other teams, and being into sneakers and streetwear probably contribute to that perspective though. 

I wonder if the casual fan will see it more like I do or like some of these comments?

Casual fan will almost definitely see it as brand > player. Especially the younger crowd which likely makes up a very fair portion of NBA jersey sales. 

3 hours ago, chakfu said:

Probably doesn't hurt much for the Lakers. And the Celtics were 6-0 against Jordan in the playoffs. (I didn't even know they also swept them in '87.)

Well I don’t think Lebron would be too thrilled about wearing his logo. Imagine is the won the finals and he’s wearing that logo on his chest. 

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Well I don’t think Lebron would be too thrilled about wearing his logo. Imagine is the won the finals and he’s wearing that logo on his chest. 

Dude, LeBron wears 23 because of Michael Jordan. In fact, he also thinks nobody should ever wear 23 again and has been thinking of switching back to 6 for years. He doesn't care about this Jumpman logo on the jersey nor should anybody else and the fact it's even a subject here is ridiculous.

bSLCtu2.png

23 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Dude, LeBron wears 23 because of Michael Jordan. In fact, he also thinks nobody should ever wear 23 again and has been thinking of switching back to 6 for years. He doesn't care about this Jumpman logo on the jersey nor should anybody else and the fact it's even a subject here is ridiculous.

Exactly. And if there's a current player in the NBA who knows a thing or two about branding, it's LeBron. He gets it. 

Also, I'm certain neither Nike nor the NBA gives a damn about any personal animus toward Jordan the individual when it comes to giving a platform to his brand. They are two separate things. The Jordan brand generated $3.1 billion in revenue for Nike last year -- a figure that's tripled in the past 10 years. It's a growth engine for Nike and they're going to do everything they can to keep it in front of consumers.

Did we really think this NBA apparel contract was just about supplying uniforms? This is exactly what Nike is paying for, the ability to display its brands on a global platform. 

I'd love to go back to the days when every team wore Sand Knit jerseys and never saw a manufacturer's logo. But that ship has sailed. 

40 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Apparently the only reason he was going to switch to 6 with the Lakers is to give Anthony Davis #23.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845427-lakers-news-anthony-davis-to-wear-no-3-next-season-lebron-will-keep-no-23

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Incorrect all around. As mentioned, he wanted Davis to wear 23.

If you don’t understand why a logo on a uniform would be a subject on a message board about logos and uniforms then I’m not sure I can help you. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, projectjohn said:

This was posted in the Pistons mailbag article on their website today:

Capture_23.jpg

While I'm relieved to hear there are no plans to change their traditional home and road jerseys, I am curious as to what "new design elements" are being introduced. Any insight you are aware of and might be at liberty to share, @Conrad.?

I'm not sure why he said 3 other uniforms (maybe because at some point they'll have a Classic uniform), because the Pistons will only have the Statement and City uniforms outside of the "normal two," and as for "new design elements" that could be anything, haha. Sadly, for the Statement uniform, it's only the "new" design element of the Jumpman logo coming in for the swoosh (ZZZzzzzzzzzz). As for the City uniform, yes, it will be a new design from last season, so everything will be "new" in that regard. I gotta warn, though, it's nothing to write home about. Sigh.

21 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

I'm not sure why he said 3 other uniforms (maybe because at some point they'll have a Classic uniform), because the Pistons will only have the Statement and City uniforms outside of the "normal two," and as for "new design elements" that could be anything, haha. Sadly, for the Statement uniform, it's only the "new" design element of the Jumpman logo coming in for the swoosh (ZZZzzzzzzzzz). As for the City uniform, yes, it will be a new design from last season, so everything will be "new" in that regard. I gotta warn, though, it's nothing to write home about. Sigh.

Thanks, that’s to be expected on the City uniforms at this point. I just hope it’s not the same template they’ve used for the past 2 seasons.

I think by “other 3 jerseys” he meant the regular Icon, Association, and Statement using Nike’s terminology.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Incorrect all around. As mentioned, he wanted Davis to wear 23.

If you don’t understand why a logo on a uniform would be a subject on a message board about logos and uniforms then I’m not sure I can help you. 

His number history in a nutshell:

He does wear 23 because of Jordan. He switched to 6 in Miami because he did think 23 should be retired league-wide (Miami had already done so by this time, I believe). He went back to 23 upon his return to Cleveland and kept it in LA. He planned/plans on switching back to 6 so AD can wear 23 again. Don't know if that's still the plan or not.

27 minutes ago, McCall said:

His number history in a nutshell:

He does wear 23 because of Jordan. He switched to 6 in Miami because he did think 23 should be retired league-wide (Miami had already done so by this time, I believe). He went back to 23 upon his return to Cleveland and kept it in LA. He planned/plans on switching back to 6 so AD can wear 23 again. Don't know if that's still the plan or not.

So then clearly he no longer feels that 23 should be retired league-wide if he not only wears it, but feels like someone else should wear it.  I'd think that as the most influential player in the league, if that was high enough on his priority list (which its understandably not) he could 'retire' it himself by simply not wearing it and influencing others to drop it as well.

Regardless of James' fondness of MJ, the topic of the Jordan brand being advertised on NBA uniforms is totally appropriate to discuss here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You’re about a decade late with your information. The Lebron brand has gotten much bigger since he said that 10 years ago. And as BBTV said he has gone back to 23 since then and is even giving it to another player. Lebron does care about his brand enough to not want another players logo on his chest to put money in his pocket. This is the same dude who doesn’t like when other players where his shoes when they play him and goes out of his way to try and embarrass them.

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Apparently the only reason he was going to switch to 6 with the Lakers is to give Anthony Davis #23.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845427-lakers-news-anthony-davis-to-wear-no-3-next-season-lebron-will-keep-no-23

I suspect the voluntary switch to #6 was to downplay the absurdity of #23 being retired in Miami.

At this point the jumpman logo is no big deal as a brand.  But I do believe Cleveland actively promoting it is ridiculous. Cleveland does not want to be reminded of the shot.

49 minutes ago, chakfu said:

I suspect the voluntary switch to #6 was to downplay the absurdity of #23 being retired in Miami.

Not to drag this point out longer than needed, but he announced the decision to switch to #6 while still in Cleveland. It was also his Olympic number in 2008. Maybe it was for MJ? Maybe it was a Kobe 8/24 thing? Maybe it was a marketing? But, it still doesn't downplay the absurdity of #23 being retired in Miami.

So dumb.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, dont care said:

You’re about a decade late with your information. The Lebron brand has gotten much bigger since he said that 10 years ago. And as BBTV said he has gone back to 23 since then and is even giving it to another player. Lebron does care about his brand enough to not want another players logo on his chest to put money in his pocket. This is the same dude who doesn’t like when other players where his shoes when they play him and goes out of his way to try and embarrass them.

What makes this different than the times he wore a Reebok or Adidas jersey in the past? I gotta be honest, it seems to me like you just don't like LeBron which is fine but you can't let it guide your logic. He's been seen wearing Jordans off the court. I promise you he does not care about the logo being on his jersey, especially if it's his favorite player.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

What makes this different than the times he wore a Reebok or Adidas jersey in the past? I gotta be honest, it seems to me like you just don't like LeBron which is fine but you can't let it guide your logic. He's been seen wearing Jordans off the court. I promise you he does not care about the logo being on his jersey, especially if it's his favorite player.

You mean when their logos weren’t on the jerseys? And Lebron is my favorite player so nice assumption

23 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I think by “other 3 jerseys” he meant the regular Icon, Association, and Statement using Nike’s terminology.

I'd laugh if they flipped back stripes color on Association uniform and called it a "New design elements".

Fun Fact: Pistons were the last nike team that won championship before nike took whole league in 2017/2018 season.

4r2eer.png

Archived