NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

If I'm making a throwback wishlist here, I'd love to see the Jazz throwback to the Utah Stars, especially since 2021 is the 50th anniversary of their championship.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full Classic Edition guesses for fun:

*Confirmed*
Mavericks (80’s green)

Grizzlies (2001 black)

90’s Team:

Nets (Petrovic era)

Others:

Bulls (MJ’s rookie year “Chicago” script)

Suns (80’s Purple)

Nuggets (One of the rainbow skylines)

76ers (the 2000-2001 version of the AI’s)

Bucks (not sure which...just a feeling they want to sell more Antetokounmpo stuff)

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

18 minutes ago, kimball said:

If I'm making a throwback wishlist here, I'd love to see the Jazz throwback to the Utah Stars, especially since 2021 is the 50th anniversary of their championship.

Yes! As a fan, I would love that. I was a little irked when the Clippers wore Stars throwbacks because the Stars mean a whole lot more to Utah. I’m absolutely positive that if the Stars were never in Utah, then neither would the Jazz. They’re an integral part of Utah’s sports history.

You could also tug a lot of Utah heartstrings by playing up “first Utah team to win a professional championship”. Even those of us who weren’t around for it would appreciate anything resembling a championship. :P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

21 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Full Classic Edition guesses for fun:

*Confirmed*
Mavericks (80’s green)

Grizzlies (2001 black)

90’s Team:

Nets (Petrovic era)

Others:

Bulls (MJ’s rookie year “Chicago” script)

Suns (80’s Purple)

Nuggets (One of the rainbow skylines)

76ers (the 2000-2001 version of the AI’s)

Bucks (not sure which...just a feeling they want to sell more Antetokounmpo stuff)

The blue skyline (with matching white) was technically worn in the 90s (through '93). 

It's kind of sad to hear that only one Classic is 90s...because there were a lot of great 80s unis that crossed over into the 90s. Plus our fun mid-90s sets...I'd actually love it if the Nuggets wore the 8th-Seed-Miracle unis (navy/red/gold), but maybe next year lol

I think we'll see a Lakers throwback (60 years being in LA), possibly from the Chamberlain/West era. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have no idea what the Mavericks should do. Kelly/royal never looked right on them, it was too lush a color scheme for a southwestern/western-themed team, italic serif letters on a radial arch are a crime against God and man, and most of those old Mavs teams were pretty bad anyway. The double-blue was cool in 2002 but is right in that donut hole of nostalgia: too old to be the present, too recent to be the past. Their navy/lime alt looks cool, but the Timberwolves got there first. Black and victory green as an inverse of the Stars, maybe? I just don't know.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I have no idea what the Mavericks should do. Kelly/royal never looked right on them, it was too lush a color scheme for a southwestern/western-themed team, italic serif letters on a radial arch are a crime against God and man, and most of those old Mavs teams were pretty bad anyway. The double-blue was cool in 2002 but is right in that donut hole of nostalgia: too old to be the present, too recent to be the past. Their navy/lime alt looks cool, but the Timberwolves got there first. Black and victory green as an inverse of the Stars, maybe? I just don't know.

You're right about this. I've never cared for the Mavs' current look or color scheme. If they were to ever adopt new colors, I'd hope they'd at least keep blue as the vein that runs through all eras. Maybe accent that with a red and a tan/brown -- colors that could serve to give it more of a western or rustic feel. 

Blue and green for Dallas has never bothered me, mostly because I had always associated blue with the Cowboys and green with the Stars growing up (even though that obviously wasn’t the Mavs intent, as the Stars came much later than them). That’s just me though. 

EDIT: Oh, also the green lights in the skyline

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I still believe the best course for the Mavs is adding lime to the double blue. I don’t care about the T-Wolves, they shouldn’t wear that color scheme. For better or worse the Cuban Mavs were the only team that managed to make double blue their own. That they won a championship with those and the green/blue represents teams that lost 70 games a year and fell apart due to Toni Braxton. 

If they don’t want to step on the Wolves toes, I like the navy/mint combo that the sponsor patch produced. Reasonably close to both the blue/green and the double blues, and mint is an underused color that’s been trendy with the sportswear companies

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO.  That's super lame.  90s warmups were great when they were not stuck to the same templated look

Don't want to ruin that myth, but warmups in 90's were also templated (in some cases):

51319VcH7vL._AC_.jpg

ff_2869414alt1_full.jpg&w=900

s-l1600.jpg

Pooh Richardson Warmup Jacket Cl

bbbc75f4ba3682993cbcbfeba1c9d3a0.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

4r2eer.png

I’ll take a crack at the Classic Editions. Only one 90’s jersey really threw me for a loop, I was sure we would get 3/4, even more garish ones.

CONFIRMED

Mavs 80’s Green

Grizzlies early 00’s Blacks

90’s Team 

Pacers Malice at the Palace

Other

Bulls Chicago script (Last Dance mania, 55th season) 

Lakers double blue, Los Angeles script (60th anniversary in LA, LeBron has gone to long without selling throwbacks)

Bucks Red trimmed Irish Rainbows (They’ll want to squeeze Giannis for all that he’s worth)

Sixers Early 2000’s AI (Probably black but I’m praying for the blue ones)

Nets White ABA (Too juicy an opportunity not to sell a bunch of KD and Kyrie jerseys)

The 90’s one was really difficult but I’m basing it off the rumor that the Pacers would replace the Hickory uniforms with another throwback, and they already wore the FloJo’s a few years ago. I was also thinking Rockets since it’s the 50th season in Houston and I doubt that they would throwback to anything Hakeem didn’t wear. 

Speaking of throwbacks, any word on what the NBA intends to do for the 75th anniversary in 2021/22? I hope every team gets a throwback, but I would really hate it if the uniforms were all from the 90’s.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

12 hours ago, prof said:

Lakers Will Revisit Color Of ‘Gold’ Nike Icon Jersey Amid Fan Complaints

“That’s just a nod to putting black in the uniform,” Harris said. “I love when our fans notice things like the black stripe or the neckline. When they’re getting into that level of detail that shows how much they [the black stripe] SUCK."

Fixed that for them.

I can't wait to see the modern Sixers rock these

spacer.png

I already have the Mitchell and Ness AI jersey but I'm definitely picking up a Simmons if they do have it as a Classic edition.

2 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

Speaking of throwbacks, any word on what the NBA intends to do for the 75th anniversary in 2021/22? I hope every team gets a throwback, but I would really hate it if the uniforms were all from the 90’s.

One off throwbacks for different eras for rivalry match ups would be really cool (for example: Lakers/Celtics in 80's throwbacks)

YVRMUBj.png

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

I can't wait to see the modern Sixers rock these

spacer.png

I already have the Mitchell and Ness AI jersey but I'm definitely picking up a Simmons if they do have it as a Classic edition.

One off throwbacks for different eras for rivalry match ups would be really cool (for example: Lakers/Celtics in 80's throwbacks)

You might lose some of the nostalgia behind this look with the modern cuts and fabrics of basketball uniforms, but I would be all for it. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I remember hearing that the Pistons were going to wear the teal horse uniforms from someone who works for the team. Either in 2021 or 2022? I can't remember but I know I read that. That's most likely the 90's throwback that Conrad is talking about.

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I remember hearing that the Pistons were going to wear the teal horse uniforms from someone who works for the team. Either in 2021 or 2022? I can't remember but I know I read that. That's most likely the 90's throwback that Conrad is talking about.

2022. The beat writer all but confirmed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/4228726002

Some interesting stuff in that article about how classic jerseys are allowed which I’m not sure is accurate based on how often other teams have throwbacks. But then Jason George is not very good at picking out/designing alternates based on how awful the Pistons alternates have been for over 10 years.

Archived