3 hours ago, QCS said:

No thanks, rather CLT than CHA.

Neither should be an option.

3 hours ago, dannykraft said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but I'm really not a fan of the AI throwbacks. The wordmark and font look tacky and the colors are all over the place. They only stopped that basic design wearing them 11 years ago and I think there are plenty of designs from the 70's and 80's that would be a lot more interesting to see. 

Yes but this upcoming season is the 20th anniversary of the Finals appearance and they already did a 70's throwback this year.

4 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Young-and-Smith.jpg?resize=640,478

This is easily the worse version of that look. All of the charm just sucked right out of it.

40 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yes but this upcoming season is the 20th anniversary of the Finals appearance and they already did a 70's throwback this year.

This is easily the worse version of that look. All of the charm just sucked right out of it.

LIke I know that '01 team is beloved but I don't really want to celebrate just a finals appearance. I would much rather go with the '83 uniforms if they want to celebrate a championship. I would honesty wait until '22-'23 then.

6 hours ago, dannykraft said:

LIke I know that '01 team is beloved but I don't really want to celebrate just a finals appearance. I would much rather go with the '83 uniforms if they want to celebrate a championship. I would honesty wait until '22-'23 then.

Exactly, celebrate a team that won something and actually looked good. They don't need to celebrate a team that got their asses whopped in the Finals.

7 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I'm ok with the Suns wearing the 90s unis even though they only went to one Finals appearance.

There are so many great NBA uniforms that haven't won a Finals series...I think the black Sixers unis are good enough to bring back for a few games. 

Also have to think that a lot of players and fans today grew up with those uniforms and connect better with them than a uniform decades before they were even born, and probably don’t even know existed. 

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

Also have to think that a lot of players and fans today grew up with those uniforms and connect better with them than a uniform decades before they were even born, and probably don’t even know existed. 

Yeah. AI is beloved among both fans and players. I think the nostalgia for that particular set runs pretty deep and goes beyond just aesthetics.

iverson7.jpg

This is part of our culture now.

Posted (edited)

Not to mention, if championships are a requirement for throwback-worthy status, then that elimates a lot of great options across the league, including quite a few popular sets already adopted in the classic edition program (Hornets, Suns, Grizzlies, Raptors, Jazz, Magic...and so on). Nostalgia extends much farther than championships, or even finals appearances. If it evokes good nostalgia within a fan base, go for it, no matter if it was a championship look or not.

Edited by FinsUp1214

3 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

Exactly, celebrate a team that won something and actually looked good. They don't need to celebrate a team that got their asses whopped in the Finals.

They did win "something," the Eastern Conference. I know there's a tendency to ignore team accomplishments that aren't league titles, and many discussions get reduced down to RINGZ, but I think it's fair to celebrate that era. People loved Iverson and that team accomplished a lot relative to their talent level. Certainly you could go too far with it, but we've seen teams throw back to and celebrate awful eras in their team history just for the fun of it.

10 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

They did win "something," the Eastern Conference. I know there's a tendency to ignore team accomplishments that aren't league titles, and many discussions get reduced down to RINGZ, but I think it's fair to celebrate that era. People loved Iverson and that team accomplished a lot relative to their talent level. Certainly you could go too far with it, but we've seen teams throw back to and celebrate awful eras in their team history just for the fun of it.

Also, those Sixers took a game from a Lakers team that had swept the Blazers, Kings and Spurs en route to the Finals. Those Lakers were an all-time team that the Sixers made a series out of (or at least made a game out of).

Making the Finals is a big accomplishment, as you say. There's nothing at all wrong with celebrating a conference championship.

I'm not sure if this has been a trend of late with other NBA teams, but the Magic have been conducting polls and asking lots of uniform related questions to past jerseys on their social media accounts. I would say that the majority of fans favor the inaugural uniforms along w/ the mid 90's blue w/ white pinstripe alts that became full time road jerseys, however, of late I've seen a lot of fans rumbling about bringing back the Darrell Armstrong/Bo Outlaw/T-Mac era sublimated star jerseys (below). Not sure how they would work with the current Nike template, as the shinier/razzle version was the best but perhaps those may be in the works in the coming seasons...or new primaries all together (or whatever Nike calls home & road jerseys).

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, FamousAtticus said:

I'm not sure if this has been a trend of late with other NBA teams, but the Magic have been conducting polls and asking lots of uniform related questions to past jerseys on their social media accounts. I would say that the majority of fans favor the inaugural uniforms along w/ the mid 90's blue w/ white pinstripe alts that became full time road jerseys, however, of late I've seen a lot of fans rumbling about bringing back the Darrell Armstrong/Bo Outlaw/T-Mac era sublimated star jerseys (below). Not sure how they would work with the current Nike template, as the shinier/razzle version was the best but perhaps those may be in the works in the coming seasons...or new primaries all together (or whatever Nike calls home & road jerseys).

spacer.png

I know the Hornets have done that "Pick Three" thing and overwhelmingly the pinstripes win. I'd like to see the Magic to return to this set, pinstripes don't look good on them in my opinion. 

50 minutes ago, QCS said:

I know the Hornets have done that "Pick Three" thing and overwhelmingly the pinstripes win. I'd like to see the Magic to return to this set, pinstripes don't look good on them in my opinion. 

Agreed. I understand the pinstripes are associated with the Shaq years, but my favorite Magic sets are from when they've gone all-in on whimsy. Specifically, the sublimated stars and the galaxy City set.

2 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

spacer.png

These should absolutely be brought back. The best Magic unis.

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm ok with the Suns wearing the 90s unis even though they only went to one Finals appearance.

There are so many great NBA uniforms that haven't won a Finals series...I think the black Sixers unis are good enough to bring back for a few games. 

I don't think you need to win a championship to wear a throwback but someone said above that they should wear them this year to celebrate 20 years since the finals appearance.  

I mentioned the 2004-2010 Utah Jazz set as one of the worst of all time, just a derivative and soulless pile of crap, but let's not forget its half-brother here:

20130915mcgradycarter_harryhowgetty.0.jp

What a big nothing. Horrid.

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I mentioned the 2004-2010 Utah Jazz set as one of the worst of all time, just a derivative and soulless pile of crap, but let's not forget its half-brother here:

Unpopular opinion but I like those alot more than the tacky star covered ones.

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, the mid-2000’s were a rough time for NBA uniforms. Just a whole lot of uniform/brand de-evolution between the Jazz, Magic, 76ers’ piping, and perhaps even the Raptors dropping purple and the Spurs dropping the fiesta (though that came a tiny bit earlier). I was a teenager then, and I don’t think a single rebranding or uniform change from that era captivated or impressed me in any way. That’s an era I wouldn’t mind skipping over forever when it comes to throwbacks.

The AI throwbacks are BELOVED in Philly. It's a combination of AI nostalgia and black being fireemoji cool.

There are some people who even want to go back to them full time for those reasons, which is dumb. They were nice jerseys (the blue alts were better though), fit that team's culture (Iverson) and era, and I'd even be ok with them as a permanent throwback/alt (if that was possible in the NBA), but the Sixers should always be R/W/B and it was dumb to change from that scheme to begin with. Plus their current uniforms are nearly perfect.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

The AI throwbacks are BELOVED in Philly. It's a combination of AI nostalgia and black being fireemoji cool.

There are some people who even want to go back to them full time for those reasons, which is dumb. They were nice jerseys (the blue alts were better though), fit that team's culture (Iverson) and era, and I'd even be ok with them as a permanent throwback/alt (if that was possible in the NBA), but the Sixers should always be R/W/B and it was dumb to change from that scheme to begin with. Plus their current uniforms are nearly perfect.

Do you have sources for these claims?