NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

I like the idea of the Nets using side panels as a (no pun intended) blank canvas for the addition of color. I thought the Biggie jerseys looked incredible with the added color. Finding different inspirations or themes as an abstract splash of color works with the black and white.

I find the Nets use of fonts abhorrent. I'm also not that cool with using dead artists' work with (Im naively assuming Basquiat's relatives/foundation/etc signed off on this) or without permission (the Biggie lawsuits).

And I get they've probably gotten permission, but why does a sports jersey need a signature from Basquiat or MLK on it?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, schlim said:

I like the idea of the Nets using side panels as a (no pun intended) blank canvas for the addition of color. I thought the Biggie jerseys looked incredible with the added color. Finding different inspirations or themes as an abstract splash of color works with the black and white.

I find the Nets use of fonts abhorrent. I'm also not that cool with using dead artists' work with (Im naively assuming Basquiat's relatives/foundation/etc signed off on this) or without permission (the Biggie lawsuits).

And I get they've probably gotten permission, but why does a sports jersey need a signature from Basquiat or MLK on it?

IIRC, Basquiat didn't want his stuff licensed and his dad kept that going after he passed, but when pops passed the rest of the family opened up shop.

Now, as a disclaimer I am a Nets fan but I've loved most of their uniform looks 2012-present. The grey sleeved jersey was the only truly heinous thing they've worn IMO. The white sleeved-jerseys would've been fine without sleeves and Bed Stuy jersey would be great with 'Brooklyn' or 'Nets' on 'em. That said, this jersey is corny. Also, telling some Nike designer to use Jean-Michel's style as the "inspiration" for a sports uniform seems like a guarantee to get a watered down, poorly done imitation of what the artist was actually trying to capture, and blah blah blah I know Jerseys are just money-grabs. But damn. That thing sucks.

26 minutes ago, TJKiddsHead said:

IIRC, Basquiat didn't want his stuff licensed and his dad kept that going after he passed, but when pops passed the rest of the family opened up shop.

And no artist has had their legacy turned into a branding exercise worse, IMO. This jersey will go nicely with my Basquiat Uniqlo t-shirt and Basquiat Doc Martens.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Nets jersey is...not great. I like the idea of drawing from Brooklyn's history and legends for the City editions (especially because the team itself doesn't have deep roots in the borough yet), but the execution has been sub- minor league baseball gimmick night so far.

That being said, I've got my fingers crossed for a Barbra Streisand edition next season.

14 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Font is wrong on it too, is much thicker than original.

BTW that wordmark is already used by nike in rewind collection, reebok and adidas also used it on HWC jerseys (all of them had wrong numbers).

I think that adds up to one of the worst executed throwbacks ever. A shame, I love the original.  Looks like NOB is wrong too,, it's huge on the originals.  Mainly I just want green in their palette.

Celtics appear to be prepping some social justice stuff, tweeting trivia about the first all black starting five.

Seems appropriate for the most progressive team of the 60s, with a roster boasting one of the league's most socially conscious leaders (as well as progressive coach and owner)

Archived