SportsLogos.Net News

NBA Changes 2020/21

10 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

I'm not sure if this has been a trend of late with other NBA teams, but the Magic have been conducting polls and asking lots of uniform related questions to past jerseys on their social media accounts. I would say that the majority of fans favor the inaugural uniforms along w/ the mid 90's blue w/ white pinstripe alts that became full time road jerseys, however, of late I've seen a lot of fans rumbling about bringing back the Darrell Armstrong/Bo Outlaw/T-Mac era sublimated star jerseys (below). Not sure how they would work with the current Nike template, as the shinier/razzle version was the best but perhaps those may be in the works in the coming seasons...or new primaries all together (or whatever Nike calls home & road jerseys).

spacer.png

I’m pretty sure it’s generic quarantine content, I’ve seen most teams do the “pick 3” thing, Knicks did a poll tournament for best jersey (the ‘99 black panels won, FWIW).

I always thought the Magic messed up by covering their jersey in stars, it went overboard on the Tacky Index. They should have flipped the panel and body, with pinstripes on the body and stars on the panel. It would have made more sense, if you think pinstripes are a distinctive part of your identity, wear them, don’t use them as an ornament.

52 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

I’m pretty sure it’s generic quarantine content, I’ve seen most teams do the “pick 3” thing, Knicks did a poll tournament for best jersey (the ‘99 black panels won, FWIW).

I always thought the Magic messed up by covering their jersey in stars, it went overboard on the Tacky Index. They should have flipped the panel and body, with pinstripes on the body and stars on the panel. It would have made more sense, if you think pinstripes are a distinctive part of your identity, wear them, don’t use them as an ornament.

What a world we live in.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Do you have sources for these claims?

Virtually every time anything uniform related comes up on the Sixers' social media, some variation of "bring back the black jerseys" is inevitably in the comments at least once and it comes up once every blue moon on twitter and reddit.

Ben Simmons was also campaigning for it at one point

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/ben-simmons-asks-should-sixers-bring-back-old-school-black-jerseys

https://news.sportslogos.net/2018/06/26/ben-simmons-sixer-rookie-of-the-year-uniform-desiger/

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I mentioned the 2004-2010 Utah Jazz set as one of the worst of all time, just a derivative and soulless pile of crap, but let's not forget its half-brother here:

20130915mcgradycarter_harryhowgetty.0.jp

What a big nothing. Horrid.

These were bad, but still better than the Brooklyn Nets.

13 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Making the Finals is a big accomplishment, as you say. There's nothing at all wrong with celebrating a conference championship.

Remember when the Dodgers had a ring ceremony to pass out the 2017 National League Championship rings and they were clowned for it and others called those rings “participation trophies” since they were cheated out of...oops, lost the actual championship?
spacer.png

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Virtually every time anything uniform related comes up on the Sixers' social media, some variation of "bring back the black jerseys" is inevitably in the comments at least once and it comes up once every blue moon on twitter and reddit.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/ben-simmons-asks-should-sixers-bring-back-old-school-black-jerseys

https://news.sportslogos.net/2018/06/26/ben-simmons-sixer-rookie-of-the-year-uniform-desiger/

Dear heavens, NO!  1997-2009 was an awful era for 76’ers jerseys.  

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

I mentioned the 2004-2010 Utah Jazz set as one of the worst of all time, just a derivative and soulless pile of crap, but let's not forget its half-brother here:

20130915mcgradycarter_harryhowgetty.0.jp

What a big nothing. Horrid.

I remember posting these on here once (not this exact picture, but this uniform) because I was looking up a different Magic-related thing and saw those and had literally no recollection that they had ever existed, which doesn't happen much for me for 21st-century NBA.

9 hours ago, truepg said:

These were bad, but still better than the Brooklyn Nets.

I think the Nets are fine. They went all in on the look when they moved from Jersey to Brooklyn ... and it works.

But, that era in the 2000s produced some awfully generic and overtly blue jerseys for teams that had identities it didn't match.

Before the 76ers went to the Hip-Hop cut they had one of my favorite uniforms of all time.

iverson-99.jpg

Some NBA teams that IMO had better looks in the mid-aughts than today:

Cavs

Nets

Nuggets

Grizzlies

Clippers (arguable on jerseys, not logo)

Lakers

Timberwolves (both KG era & the original remix set that still had green)

Pelicans (the Hornets name belongs in Charlotte but the team had great colors/jerseys before the rebrand)

It was the era I got into watching the NBA and it made me assume side panels were standard issue on a uniform, but many teams have dropped or reduced* them since (Suns, Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, Nets*, Nuggets, Pacers*, Raptors, Cavs).

I'm still sad the Cavs kept changing for changes sake. Also, I'm sure it's mostly nostalgia goggles for that 7 seconds or less era, but I didn't hate the gray Suns. Still, it's definitely not their best look:

usp-nba_-phoenix-suns-at-sacramento-king

nash-hall-of-fame.jpg?w=756&h=430

I never particularly cared for those Iverson-era Sixers unis, but not so much for the design as the colors. I couldn't reconcile a team named after the year the nation was founded switching from red, white and blue to primarily black, red and gold. Other than the color trends shifting toward black at the time, it just never made sense to me. 

31 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I'm still sad the Cavs kept changing for changes sake. Also, I'm sure it's mostly nostalgia goggles for that 7 seconds or less era, but I didn't hate the gray Suns. Still, it's definitely not their best look:

The sides are really intrusive, but Steve Nash still made them cool.

Way too much grey for a team named the Suns, don't care for City as the font there, and why the orange ovals behind the numbers?

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Way too much grey for a team named the Suns, don't care for City as the font there, and why the orange ovals behind the numbers?

It's like they wanted to capitalize on the "everything is space now" design from the 90s, but were like 3 years too late. And, you know, the fact that the sun doesn't have any rings. Just like the Suns.

24 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

It's like they wanted to capitalize on the "everything is space now" design from the 90s, but were like 3 years too late. And, you know, the fact that the sun doesn't have any rings. Just like the Suns.

tenor.gif

Yeah, adding grey to the Suns and having a generic-ass font and number was a bad idea. It's too bad they had so much success in that look because it was pretty awful. The logo was nice though.

There’s definitely a part of the fanbase that likes the Tracy McGrady era set, but the vast majority seems to prefer the original Shaq and Penny uniforms. As for the next Magic throwback, I’d expect the 90s white jersey in 2023. We got black in 2013 (25th season), blue in 2018 (30th), and then ??? (following the pattern it’ll be white) for the 35th anniversary.

I had always assumed the Suns’ ring around the numbers had something to do with orbits/solar system. That was just my 10 year old brain at the time trying to figure it out, and not anything I ever read or heard anywhere.

5 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Some NBA teams that IMO had better looks in the mid-aughts than today:

Cavs

Nets

Nuggets

Grizzlies

Clippers (arguable on jerseys, not logo)

Lakers

Timberwolves (both KG era & the original remix set that still had green)

Pelicans (the Hornets name belongs in Charlotte but the team had great colors/jerseys before the rebrand)

It was the era I got into watching the NBA and it made me assume side panels were standard issue on a uniform, but many teams have dropped or reduced* them since (Suns, Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, Nets*, Nuggets, Pacers*, Raptors, Cavs).

Agree on everything. Although, I have gotten used to the absence of side panels already. The 00's produced one of the best sets all-time in the first Cavs' LeBron unis.

5 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Before the 76ers went to the Hip-Hop cut they had one of my favorite uniforms of all time.

iverson-99.jpg

This was the better version of those sets.

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

AI was "beloved", and that uniform is associated with him and that era, but I wouldn't say it's "beloved" on its own, and I've never heard anyone say to bring it back full time.

Even those links you posted were about alternates or throwbacks.  I've never heard fans or players say they want them back full time.  I happened to like them, but they're too associated with one person to ever be brought back full time.  IMO they have one of the top sets in the entire league now, and have no reason to change... ever.

But yeah, a throwback would be sweet, especially since AI is basically a second mascot now.