Jump to content

NBA Changes 2020/21


SportsLogos.Net News

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, kutztown said:

As a Sixers fan, I'm pretty disappointed in this rollout.  Apparently there's a quote circulating that Chris Heck said he "vowed to never bring back" the AI era jerseys and said they made them look too much like the PIttsburgh Pirates?  That's an awful take.  The simple answer was honor the AI 2001 team with this uni.  You could have easily incorporated the old wordmark onto a trim jersey with blue/red trim and made it work.  You even could have kept the gold liberty bell crack to incorporate the gold of the ball in the wordmark.  Swing and a miss for the hometeam, IMO. 

 

I believe any "never bring them back" talk was as the primary. Which they shouldn't. They look much better now and are a RWB team

But as a throwback, I think it's guaranteed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“ORLA” is beyond stupid. I’m also pretty done with the Magic diving headfirst into the orange stuff, it’s so far off-brand for them that it’s jarring. The only good thing about these is the retro font returning, but that’s really it.

 

As for Philadelphia, I do have to admit that I love the court. It may be that I grew up with the 76ers having a lot of black on their court and am just used to it, but that’s really working for me. The uniform, however, doesn’t. I don’t think it’s horrible, it’s just not doing anything for me. It’s just kind of “there”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sixers Unveil New Black Uniform, Simmons Gets His Wish

November 10, 2020 - 17:10 PM

When Ben Simmons says he wants the team to wear a black uniform, you get the team a black uniform. That’s precisely what happened here, a couple of years after Simmons Tweeted out his wish to one day wear black — as they did in the Allen Iverson days —

Read More...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

 

I believe any "never bring them back" talk was as the primary. Which they shouldn't. They look much better now and are a RWB team

But as a throwback, I think it's guaranteed

 @ScubaSteve Gotcha.  I 100% agree with you that it shouldn't be the primary.  I love their current identity.  I was under the impression he wasn't willing to bring them back as a city edition, which to me is dumb.  I still think they could have blended the current era with the AI era and made a new look that worked in black and honored the AI days. 

 

I thought it would have been cool with the black/red/blue trim with the Iverson era Sixers wordmark, and you bring back the gold liberty bell crack on the side of the jersey to add some gold to match the ball in the wordmark.  Could even make the bell on the waistband gold.  To me, that would have popped and been a better overall look, but what do I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

"Orla." Okay!

 

I'm sorry, but that Philadelphia uniform is really dumb. One dumb thing about the City program is it encourages teams to look under any rock for anything that can be representative of the city. Like, I'm sure houseboats are really fun for Philadelphia residents, but there's a reason they've never been included in sports iconography by now. Seattle has houseboats too, and they're full of tech millionaires or old-timers who bought in a million years ago and now complain about their property taxes (but not their property values); I'd hate to see them on a future Sonics jersey.

 

Denver had the best skyline jersey, and Dallas did an okay job of aping it. Philadelphia doing the residential version of it feels kind of dumb. Especially when they're going for the streets at night feel. I'm making a ton of assumptions about those Philly houseboats, but I'm imagining there's not a lot of overlap among those residents and the core Sixers fanbase.

 

And TTP? Jesus, grow up. Hinkie sucked and now he's gone forever. You have the ultimate version of the Hinkie mind in Daryl Morey now. Move on.

 

 

Credit where it's due, I like them as well. 90s aesthetic is in right now, and they hit that mark.

The Sixers uniform features boathouses not houseboats... Not that it really takes away from your point that it's a silly thing to base a uniform off of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

"Orla." Okay!

 

I'm sorry, but that Philadelphia uniform is really dumb. One dumb thing about the City program is it encourages teams to look under any rock for anything that can be representative of the city. Like, I'm sure houseboats are really fun for Philadelphia residents, but there's a reason they've never been included in sports iconography by now. Seattle has houseboats too, and they're full of tech millionaires or old-timers who bought in a million years ago and now complain about their property taxes (but not their property values); I'd hate to see them on a future Sonics jersey.

 

Denver had the best skyline jersey, and Dallas did an okay job of aping it. Philadelphia doing the residential version of it feels kind of dumb. Especially when they're going for the streets at night feel. I'm making a ton of assumptions about those Philly houseboats, but I'm imagining there's not a lot of overlap among those residents and the core Sixers fanbase.

 

And TTP? Jesus, grow up. Hinkie sucked and now he's gone forever. You have the ultimate version of the Hinkie mind in Daryl Morey now. Move on.

 

 

Credit where it's due, I like them as well. 90s aesthetic is in right now, and they hit that mark.

 

I think you're underestimating the prominence of Boathouse Row in Philadelphia.  It's one of the defining parts of the city, right along the river trail that's frequented by thousands of joggers every day (and leads into the Art Museum's "Rocky steps" and Ben Franklin Parkway with it's multi-national-flag-lined way, and when entering the city from the west, it provides one of the most common images that you see on postcards of the city.  They're used by schools, crew clubs, and other organizations, and are a legitimate part of the fabric of the city here.  As a kid growing up in the suburbs, getting the rare opportunity to see them lit up was one of the coolest things.

 

Did they do a good job of representing it on a jersey?  Probably not.  But this is far from "looking under any rock" for inspiration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

 
Here’s the Magic. As the star in the original script was supposed to replace the A, is the script here read as ORL-star or ORLA? I guess they’re a slight improvement over last year’s version since these actually have some connection to the Magic, but if the Magic really want to wear orange they could just incorporate it in their regular design

I've been conditioned to read the star as an A for so long that it reads as "Orla" to me.

 

The gray is unnecessary. If they made it simply orange and white, put the full Orlando instead of just Orla, it'd be an instant buy. Look, I'm not a giant fan of orange, but it's a fun callback to Central Florida's history and I'm okay with it for a few games per year.

 

That being said... WHY THE :censored: is the wordmark orange-white-orange when the number is orange-white-gray? What are you DOING Nike?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

 

I think you're underestimating the prominence of Boathouse Row in Philadelphia.  It's one of the defining parts of the city, right along the river trail that's frequented by thousands of joggers every day (and leads into the Art Museum's "Rocky steps" and Ben Franklin Parkway with it's multi-national-flag-lined way, and when entering the city from the west, it provides one of the most common images that you see on postcards of the city.  They're used by schools, crew clubs, and other organizations, and are a legitimate part of the fabric of the city here.  As a kid growing up in the suburbs, getting the rare opportunity to see them lit up was one of the coolest things.

 

Did they do a good job of representing it on a jersey?  Probably not.  But this is far from "looking under any rock" for inspiration.

 

Fair enough. City residents know their cities better than outsiders. And also thanks for the clarification for boathouses vs. houseboats.

 

But...is it too much to just have the Liberty Bell or Ben Franklin or a 76 or some "democracy" thing? Again, I understand the nature of the City program but it feels more and more disconnected from what sports branding should be. When you have to come up with just one or two or three logos and a couple of uniform designs, you have to necessarily be more focused on what the brand is. But when you get a one-off blank slate, the designs become less focused and more abstract. We can argue if that's a good or bad thing; I think it's bad.

 

Orlando started with going space-themed - which was awesome! - but is now "orange." Utah decided to move away from 70s-era designs and into using the state landscape as a completely different design inspiration. The Knicks, as is their reputation, have no idea what they're doing. The Lakers looked inward. The Clippers looked to PlayStation and 1992 MTV (and still have no connection to boats).

 

I'm just ranting at this point, but the City jerseys are increasingly ridiculous. I look forward to posting some variation of this same comment in the years ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least Boathouse Row is actually related to Philly as a city, Charlotte's been doing just about the farthest thing from properly representing the city. Two years of Buzz City, vague hornet designs, CHA, clouds(!?) it's a mess. I don't hate the idea of City jerseys in a vacuum, but the interchangeable nature of the designs and an inconsistent application makes them ultimately worthless. Some designs, like Miami, Utah, and San Antonio's this year have had merit, but for the most part it's been gimmicky trash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

"Orla." Okay!

 

I'm sorry, but that Philadelphia uniform is really dumb. One dumb thing about the City program is it encourages teams to look under any rock for anything that can be representative of the city. Like, I'm sure houseboats are really fun for Philadelphia residents, but there's a reason they've never been included in sports iconography by now. Seattle has houseboats too, and they're full of tech millionaires or old-timers who bought in a million years ago and now complain about their property taxes (but not their property values); I'd hate to see them on a future Sonics jersey.

 

Denver had the best skyline jersey, and Dallas did an okay job of aping it. Philadelphia doing the residential version of it feels kind of dumb. Especially when they're going for the streets at night feel. I'm making a ton of assumptions about those Philly houseboats, but I'm imagining there's not a lot of overlap among those residents and the core Sixers fanbase.

 

And TTP? Jesus, grow up. Hinkie sucked and now he's gone forever. You have the ultimate version of the Hinkie mind in Daryl Morey now. Move on.

 

 

Credit where it's due, I like them as well. 90s aesthetic is in right now, and they hit that mark.

I thoroughly laughed at the houseboat vs. boathouse mixup for a good minute. Whether you row or not, if you've ever been to Philly, that view along the Schuykill is one of the most iconic in the city and pretty damn breathtaking. In American regattas it's probably the most iconic course after the Charles, and it's really cool to see such a big yet low-key culture in the city get a shoutout. Also, I doubt this was the case, but seeing as Simmons is Australian I wonder if that was part of the tie to boathouse row seeing as it's such a big sport there. It's not my favorite city jersey, not even my favorite Sixers favorite jersey, but I commend them for getting creative without being ugly (like you said, it's not the first skyline jersey to exist), and I'm still a fan of it. 

 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It has to do with regattas, which is worse than houseboats. At least sometimes weirdos live on houseboats. Who's engaging in rowing competitions?

Oof not going to lie, in all my time I've been on the boards, I never imagined us rowers would get singled out. I will agree that weirdos live on houseboats though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

I thoroughly laughed at the houseboat vs. boathouse mixup for a good minute. Whether you row or not, if you've ever been to Philly, that view along the Schuykill is one of the most iconic in the city and pretty damn breathtaking. In American regattas it's probably the most iconic course after the Charles, and it's really cool to see such a big yet low-key culture in the city get a shoutout. Also, I doubt this was the case, but seeing as Simmons is Australian I wonder if that was part of the tie to boathouse row seeing as it's such a big sport there. It's not my favorite city jersey, not even my favorite Sixers favorite jersey, but I commend them for getting creative without being ugly (like you said, it's not the first skyline jersey to exist), and I'm still a fan of it. 

 

Oof not going to lie, in all my time I've been on the boards, I never imagined us rowers would get singled out. I will agree that weirdos live on houseboats though.

 

Thurston-Howell-630x472.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

 

I think you're underestimating the prominence of Boathouse Row in Philadelphia.  It's one of the defining parts of the city, right along the river trail that's frequented by thousands of joggers every day (and leads into the Art Museum's "Rocky steps" and Ben Franklin Parkway with it's multi-national-flag-lined way, and when entering the city from the west, it provides one of the most common images that you see on postcards of the city.  They're used by schools, crew clubs, and other organizations, and are a legitimate part of the fabric of the city here.  As a kid growing up in the suburbs, getting the rare opportunity to see them lit up was one of the coolest things.

 

Did they do a good job of representing it on a jersey?  Probably not.  But this is far from "looking under any rock" for inspiration.

 

Well said. The problem is, there are just so many Philadelphia landmarks that can work well as a logo. The Liberty Bell is one of the very few if any that works.

 

The 76ers already used the Rocky theme a few years ago and I wish they kept that grey uniform around. Last year's cream-colored one with the really nice script font on the front of the jersey was also a favorite of mine. I honestly like them significantly better than their primary uniforms. I just do not like the "PHILA" on those.

 

There is just so much you can work with regarding the use of any iconic buildings in the city for a logo and/or uniform. Like the Rocky Statue, City Hall or William Penn Statue atop it, Benjamin Franklin Bridge (a bridge is already used by the Golden State Warriors in a primary logo) and Independence Hall. Then tie it to any professional sports team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

Fair enough. City residents know their cities better than outsiders. And also thanks for the clarification for boathouses vs. houseboats.

 

But...is it too much to just have the Liberty Bell or Ben Franklin or a 76 or some "democracy" thing? Again, I understand the nature of the City program but it feels more and more disconnected from what sports branding should be. When you have to come up with just one or two or three logos and a couple of uniform designs, you have to necessarily be more focused on what the brand is. But when you get a one-off blank slate, the designs become less focused and more abstract. We can argue if that's a good or bad thing; I think it's bad.

 

Orlando started with going space-themed - which was awesome! - but is now "orange." Utah decided to move away from 70s-era designs and into using the state landscape as a completely different design inspiration. The Knicks, as is their reputation, have no idea what they're doing. The Lakers looked inward. The Clippers looked to PlayStation and 1992 MTV (and still have no connection to boats).

 

I'm just ranting at this point, but the City jerseys are increasingly ridiculous. I look forward to posting some variation of this same comment in the years ahead.

 

19 minutes ago, cityhockeyfever said:

 

Well said. The problem is, there are just so many Philadelphia landmarks that can work well as a logo. The Liberty Bell is one of the very few if any that works.

 

The 76ers already used the Rocky theme a few years ago and I wish they kept that grey uniform around. Last year's cream-colored one with the really nice script font on the front of the jersey was also a favorite of mine. I honestly like them significantly better than their primary uniforms. I just do not like the "PHILA" on those.

 

There is just so much you can work with regarding the use of any iconic buildings in the city for a logo and/or uniform. Like the Rocky Statue, City Hall or William Penn Statue atop it, Benjamin Franklin Bridge (a bridge is already used by the Golden State Warriors in a primary logo) and Independence Hall. Then tie it to any professional sports team.

 

 

 

I don't disagree with these sentiments, which (if I'm reading right) is that despite being an iconic site in the city, it doesn't translate well to a design element on a uniform, and there's more low-hanging-fruit type things that do.  

 

I think my favorite city jerseys for the Sixers have been (in order)

1) cream Phila jerseys

2) gray Rocky star jerseys

3) white Rocky star jerseys

 

That's about it.  I don't like 'Philadelphia' on a jersey.

 

I think a black recolor of the primary (maybe with gold stars) would be the best way to have a black jersey with a tie to the Iverson era (by using gold) without actually doing a throwback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.