NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

6 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Before the 76ers went to the Hip-Hop cut they had one of my favorite uniforms of all time.

I always had a soft spot for those wide shoulder Sixers uniforms because the Cincinnati Bearcats were wearing the same style at the time (in my extremely biased opinion, the best college basketball uniform of all-time). weird, that I'm wearing the shirts from that uniform right now.

Looking back on it, that whole identity was strange. I loved the blue uniforms, but they made no sense because there's no blue anywhere else in those uniforms. I remember playing NBA Live 2001 on the original PlayStation and, before I saw them worn on TV, they wore those in a random game and 10 year-old me thought it was so weird that I told my mom about it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, truepg said:

This was the better version of those sets.

Yuck barf no.

1) the gold wordmark was just a giant patch on the front.  THe black wordmark, where the letters were individual, looked much better IMO.  I'm indifferent about the offset number.

2) I was one of the rare fans of the wide sleeves.

3) the dazzle fabric of v2 was really key to their look.  The flat mesh just looked... flat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Even those links you posted were about alternates or throwbacks.  I've never heard fans or players say they want them back full time.  I happened to like them, but they're too associated with one person to ever be brought back full time.  IMO they have one of the top sets in the entire league now, and have no reason to change... ever.

But yeah, a throwback would be sweet, especially since AI is basically a second mascot now. 

Yeah I don't think anyone wants them back full time, just worn occasionally as a throwback (at least I do and so do the few Sixers fans that I interact with on social media). I think the current uniforms are pretty universally well liked among the fan base.

Is it a better uniform than what they wear now? Not at all. But is that the uniform I — as someone who started watching basketball in the late-1990s and really got into it in the early-2000s — envision when I think of the 76ers? One-hundred percent. 

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yuck barf no.

1) the gold wordmark was just a giant patch on the front.  THe black wordmark, where the letters were individual, looked much better IMO.  I'm indifferent about the offset number.

2) I was one of the rare fans of the wide sleeves.

3) the dazzle fabric of v2 was really key to their look.  The flat mesh just looked... flat.

I was a fan of the wide shoulders at the time too (LeBron's HS team also had them) and the dazzle fabric to this day, but looking at it now, the wide shoulder version is a definite no (and not very comfortable to play in, for that matter), and that first iteration matches the current/classic jersey aesthetics. And I also liked the golden wordmark more than the black.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:18 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Do you have sources for these claims?

I live in Philly so my source is me. And just what I see and hear from people in person and on social media.

I did say some want them back full time so it's not a majority, most just want it as a throwback.

As a Sixers fan, I have a fondness for those black and gold uniforms strictly for a fondness of the AI era. Those uniforms were terrible, a product of the era of darkening colors to add "toughness". The Sixers are a RWB team. No one should ever want the black and gold back full-time. If it is a throwback alternate (or whatever the hell Nike calls them), then fine.

4 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sites/csnphilly/files/styles/gallery_image/public/2019/07/02/ap_andre_iguodala_phila.jpg?itok=BCkpUblm&timestamp=1562098083

This was the best of the jerseys from that period.

Wouldn't mind this coming back as the red alternate, change the side to something else though.

Yuck, sir. I HATED those uniforms, and I'm a Hawks fan. They seem so..."blah" , but that's just my personal taste.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, kimball said:

I think the Nets are fine. They went all in on the look when they moved from Jersey to Brooklyn ... and it works.

Nah, don't see how going all in on a poor look and sticking to it makes it work. There might've been a decent concept behind the identity, but the way it was designed was lousy. I mean, the Thunder identity is rock-bottom, but it's as if an intern tried to do something within a tight schedule and failed, in Brooklyn's case they didn't even try. And what makes it worse, is that it was supposedly the hyped "Jay-Z's design team" that was behind that incredible amateurish mess.

8 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Yuck, sir. I HATED those uniforms, and I'm a Hawks fan. They seem so..."blah" , but that's just my personal taste.

You mean how the hawks had very similar templates to that one but with navy blue?

14 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sites/csnphilly/files/styles/gallery_image/public/2019/07/02/ap_andre_iguodala_phila.jpg?itok=BCkpUblm&timestamp=1562098083

Wouldn't mind this coming back as the red alternate, change the side to something else though.

What an atrocious match up that was uniform wise.

8 minutes ago, SCL said:

What an atrocious match up that was uniform wise.

Yeah, those wolves uniforms were bad at the time, but they’ve aged terribly.

Excellent!

25 minutes ago, Krz said:

Yeah, those wolves uniforms were bad at the time, but they’ve aged terribly.

They're a bit overdesigned, but I love the color balance and the modernization of the tree element. They got much worse when they dropped the green IMO. I'd go back to that design in a heartbeat over the boringness they wear now.

18 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

They’re okay, but the wordmark looks like it was stolen from a grocery store.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:14 PM, -Akronite- said:

Also, I'm sure it's mostly nostalgia goggles for that 7 seconds or less era, but I didn't hate the gray Suns. Still, it's definitely not their best look:

A team called the Suns shouldn't be wearing grey. That they went from purple with a warm orange to yellow gradient to orange and grey was just a travesty. 

I don't know. I think the 2000s were kind of a dark age of NBA uniforms. The 90s were gaudy as hell but hey. They were at least interesting, and you had standouts like the Suns and Jazz. 

The 2000s were just muted colours, everyone doing double blue, and badly recoloured primaries from the last decade. 

I admit I'm not a fan of Nike's disposable alternate uniforms, but the present does seem like a healthy mix of tradition and and colourful, out there concepts. 

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

A team called the Suns shouldn't be wearing grey. That they went from purple with a warm orange to yellow gradient to orange and grey was just a travesty. 

I don't know. I think the 2000s were kind of a dark age of NBA uniforms. The 90s were gaudy as hell but hey. They were at least interesting, and you had standouts like the Suns and Jazz. 

The 2000s were just muted colours, everyone doing double blue, and badly recoloured primaries from the last decade. 

I admit I'm not a fan of Nike's disposable alternate uniforms, but the present does seem like a healthy mix of tradition and and colourful, out there concepts. 

The Suns were still a purple primary team, they just added an orange alt.

Ultimately, every era has their highs and lows. I won't defend all the lows of the aughts but I didn't think it was fair to paint with such a broad negative brush. I hate shiny fabrics, for instance, but there are still examples of positive development from that period.

I think there are lots of great designs being tried out right now, along with some clunkers, it's just an absolute mess branding wise with so many looks in a free for all system.

Archived