NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All depends of light, on this photo it look darker than typical red:

11.3.20_nuggets_ellwood_130.jpg

13 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

In defense of the guy who seemed surprised at the Nuggets "adding" red...

1. They've only had (or I guess, "reintroduced") red in their color scheme for 2 seasons.

Red is a part of Nuggets color scheme since they became a Nuggets. The only time without red was a Baby Blue era.

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

In defense of the guy who seemed surprised at the Nuggets "adding" red...

1. They've only had (or I guess, "reintroduced") red in their color scheme for 2 seasons, and it's not (and never has been) thought of as their main color, so I think that it's more than okay not to know that red is in their color scheme, especially if he's a casual NBA fan.  As far as I know (which isn't extremely far when it comes to the Nuggets' uniform history), they have never had a red uniform.  Red is one of those very bold colors (as opposed to black or gray) where if you see a team that isn't really associated with that color, it can look very "wrong." So, yes, it is kind of jarring to see a red Nuggets jersey, especially to a casual fan.

2.  Red shouldn't be dominant (or maybe even be at all) in their color scheme to begin with, so I actually like the fact that he was thrown off by seeing the Nuggets wearing red.  We need more people to be reacting like that, rather than just accepting all of these shoehorned colors into schemes that continue to dilute what could be strong, consistent, and somewhat unique identities.

3.  With so many NBA teams starting to wear every color of the rainbow in some capacity, it is so hard to keep track of what a team's colors are.  There are a lot of times I am sort of hesitant to make a post that relates to an NBA team's "colors" because they seem to change almost every day and I don't want to make it seem like I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to any particular team's colors.  I was a huge NBA fan up until around 10 years ago, and I am admittedly now a much more casual fan.  But there is a large handful of teams in the league where, if you asked me to name what their true team colors are, I probably would not be able to answer completely correctly because we see so many teams shoehorn in these 3rd, 4th, or 5th colors into their scheme.  The line between their true colors and these "extra" colors keeps getting blurrier and blurrier.  Identity consistency thrown under the bus so that teams can sell more jerseys and make more money.

I usually complain about this exact issue every couple of months(especially that identity mess) but thanks for giving me the month off.:notworthy:

8 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

With so many NBA teams starting to wear every color of the rainbow in some capacity, it is so hard to keep track of what a team's colors are.  There are a lot of times I am sort of hesitant to make a post that relates to an NBA team's "colors" because they seem to change almost every day and I don't want to make it seem like I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to any particular team's colors.  I was a huge NBA fan up until around 10 years ago, and I am admittedly now a much more casual fan.  But there is a large handful of teams in the league where, if you asked me to name what their true team colors are, I probably would not be able to answer completely correctly because we see so many teams shoehorn in these 3rd, 4th, or 5th colors into their scheme.  The line between their true colors and these "extra" colors keeps getting blurrier and blurrier.  Identity consistency thrown under the bus so that teams can sell more jerseys and make more money.

You can't figure out what a teams colors are by looking at their logo? If you are really having a hard time, remember that the primary logo is always the answer. There is no reason to assume the Lakers are blue or the Hawks are gold. If it's not on the logo it's not the official colors.

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You can't figure out what a teams colors are by looking at their logo? If you are really having a hard time, remember that the primary logo is always the answer. There is no reason to assume the Lakers are blue or the Hawks are gold. If it's not on the logo it's not the official colors.

Except teams make alternate logos in these colors too

Hmm, not sure how I feel about those. I wasn’t nearly as big a fan of the last set as most people were, and I’m not a huge fan of this version, either. The white wordmark and yellow numbers really throw the whole thing off for me. I would’ve either made both yellow or both white, with the latter probably being my preference. Overall it’s decent, but nothing to write home about IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m sure it’ll be popular in Utah again, but this just isn’t doing it for me. The redrock stuff is just over-played at this point.

I love the redrock stuff. Being a Utahn who's both lived and visited many areas around the state it's VERY Utah.

I am curious though, do you live in Utah? Do you live in Northern Utah? I've found a lot of local fans who don't like it are those who think Utah consists of the just the Wasatch Front and that everything ends south of Santaquin. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Always going to wonder what happened to these. (from the original unveil in 2017)

The Jazz view the jersey run as a long-term plan with Nike. Over the coming years, they hope to pay homage to different parts of the state: snow-capped mountains, rich evergreen forests and even the Salt Flats are future possibilities. They hope to keep Utah fans guessing.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2017/12/25/in-their-new-redrock-inspired-uniforms-the-utah-jazz-are-aiming-to-be-bold/

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I've gotta hand it to the Jazz for 1) Sticking with the initial redrock jersey for longer than the City program is designed for and 2) maintaining the general theme with this new jersey.

My biggest issue with the City jersey program is that majority of the jerseys aren't around long enough to make a lasting impression. If you're going to go with an "out there" design that's a departure from your team's usual identity, at least stick with it so it gets some staying power. The Heat's Vice uniforms are another example of this... although the colours have been swapped from year to year, the theme has carried on and become part of their visual identity.

A comparison I can think of off the top of my head to illustrate my point is the Edmonton Oilers Todd McFarlane 3rd jerseys. They were far from what an Oilers jersey would typically look like but they were around for long enough that they became part of the brand (for better or worse). Had they only been worn for one season and then followed by some "City of Champions" themed jerseys, then a West Edmonton Mall themed jersey the year after that, I don't think they would have had the same impact.

TL/DR: One season isn't long enough to establish a wacky design/colourway as part of a team's brand.

25 minutes ago, kimball said:

I love the redrock stuff. Being a Utahn who's both lived and visited many areas around the state it's VERY Utah.

I am curious though, do you live in Utah? Do you live in Northern Utah? I've found a lot of local fans who don't like it are those who think Utah consists of the just the Wasatch Front and that everything ends south of Santaquin. 

Funny you mention Santaquin; that’s where I live! :D I’ve sort of zig-zagged around Utah a bit as well, mostly the Provo area but have also lived as far south as Blanding (where my Dad is from) and as far north as Logan. What part of the state do you live in?

Having lived for a few years in Southern Utah, I did appreciate the redrock when it came out (didn’t like how it diluted the brand and still don’t, but I did appreciate how well it captured Southern Utah). And no, I don’t believe Utah ends after Santaquin ;) The problem I’ve progressively had with the redrock theme, though, is that they’ve committed so hard to it that it’s leaving inspiration that could be tapped into the rest of the state off the table - as I’ve mentioned here before, the redrock it references is really only in the southern third of the state (the opposite part of the state from SLC).  

I was expecting more of the state’s natural beauty to be referenced year after year (as they seemed to indicate), but I’ve just been dissapointed that they’ve gone a different direction and doubled-down on one specific area of the state is all.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's nice I guess, just not what I was expecting. I was expecting an all black jersey but with wordmark and numbers in gradient and side stripe. This is (for the most part) just the last one except they stop the gradient near the top and make the rest black 

IMG-7122.gif

Archived