50th Anniversary LA Clippers logo concept

BenchOnaQUEST

Clippers 50th Anniversary logo concept

Hey guys, hope you're staying safe.... Let's not allow all the negativity distract us from the fact my beloved LA Clippers franchise was founded exactly 50 years ago!!
Below is my humble attempt to help fellow die-hard Clipper fans celebrate #50Years of #Clippers Basketball!

The 50th season is an opportunity to honor the rich tradition of #ClippersBasketball. This artwork is a humble appreciation for all the fans who've supported the #LAC franchise along the way...

FcGOa6n.jpg

I wonder what fellow sports logo fans think of this special LAC commemorative logo concept?  🏀

And here's what longtime Clippers play-by-play broadcaster Ralph Lawler* had to say about it:

sCs5DLN.jpg

*Ralph Lawler is best known as the "Voice of the Clippers" for his 41-year tenure w/ LAC that dates back to the franchise's 6-year stint in San Diego (1978–84), Lawler has broadcast virtually every Clippers game since the franchise moved from Buffalo, NY in 1978, whether it be radio or TV. Lawler was inducted into the Naismith Memorial HoF. He has more than 3,000 Clippers games

Quote source:

https://www.facebook.com/RALRetired/posts/

🙏 HUMBLE APPEAL:

I'd really appreciate it if you could please show love on Twitter and IG. (Also, feel free to re-tweet this logo concept, so that more fans can see it):

And here's the Instagram post:

You can download the artwork here:
http://www.BenchOnaQUEST.com

Or here: https://www.facebook.com/BenchOnaQUEST

#BenchOnaQUEST #LAClippers ⛵ #ClipperNation ⚓ #ClipCityChipCity #LosAngelesClippers #LA #CLIPSET #ClampCity #SanDiegoClippers #BuffaloBraves #WeRepLAC #LAourWay #Clipperholics #SanDiego #CaliforniaLove #SoCal #California ☀

P.S.

Here's my re-make of an image that was buried in a subsection of the Clippers website. It's a "Journey Through the Decades" displaying every era of Clippers basketball since 1970.

https://i.imgur.com/RIHMEc6.jpg

RIHMEc6.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/XxWFV2F

8 hours ago, BenchOnaQUEST said:

Clippers 50th Anniversary logo concept

Hey guys, hope you're staying safe.... Let's not allow all the negativity distract us from the fact my beloved LA Clippers franchise was founded exactly 50 years ago!!
Below is my humble attempt to help fellow die-hard Clipper fans celebrate #50Years of #Clippers Basketball!

The 50th season is an opportunity to honor the rich tradition of #ClippersBasketball. This artwork is a humble appreciation for all the fans who've supported the #LAC franchise along the way...

FcGOa6n.jpg

I wonder what fellow logo fans think of this special LAC commemorative logo concept?  🏀

And here's what longtime Clippers play-by-play broadcaster Ralph Lawler* had to say about it:

sCs5DLN.jpg

*Ralph Lawler is best known as the "Voice of the Clippers" for his 41-year tenure w/ LAC that dates back to the franchise's 6-year stint in San Diego (1978–84), Lawler has broadcast virtually every Clippers game since the franchise moved from Buffalo, NY in 1978, whether it be radio or TV. Lawler was inducted into the Naismith Memorial HoF. He has more than 3,000 Clippers games

Quote source:

https://www.facebook.com/RALRetired/posts/

🙏 HUMBLE APPEAL:

I'd really appreciate it if you could please show love on Twitter and IG. (Also, feel free to re-tweet this logo concept, so that more fans can see it):

And here's the Instagram post:

You can download the artwork here:
http://www.BenchOnaQUEST.com

Or here: https://www.facebook.com/BenchOnaQUEST

#BenchOnaQUEST #LAClippers ⛵ #ClipperNation ⚓ #ClipCityChipCity #LosAngelesClippers #LA #CLIPSET #ClampCity #SanDiegoClippers #BuffaloBraves #WeRepLAC #LAourWay #Clipperholics #SanDiego #CaliforniaLove #SoCal #California ☀

P.S.

Here's my re-make of an image that was buried in a subsection of the Clippers website. It's a "Journey Through the Decades" displaying every era of Clippers basketball since 1970.

https://i.imgur.com/RIHMEc6.jpg

RIHMEc6.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/XxWFV2F

It's nice, but there's too much going on. You probably should simplify the whole thing. My biggest gripe is the roundel logo at the bottom of the logo – which would be okay – if it hadn't text around the LAC mark ("Clippers Basketball – Fifty seasons"). Imagine the logo being used at a small(er) scale – no chance to read that text anymore! Even on the uniform, it would get lost. It's also kind of redundant, since the "50 years" are already the focal point of the logo.

My advice: get rid of the text around the circle logo at the bottom. You could then also enlarge the "LAC" logo in order to get thicker strokes, just like the rest of the logo.

I would also delete the white outlines inside the "50" by putting that same thin white outline at the bottom of your layers panel. Same with the "LAC" logo, the "LOS ANGELES" banner, the "1950" and "1970" ribbon. I would use these white outlines literally and only as outlines for usage on a dark background. Right now, there are just way too many white thin outlines, or white lines in general, all over the place in your logo that clutter up the mark.

I also don't think that "LOS ANGELES" is needed, or helpful in terms of design, since the two terms, "LOS ANGELES" and "CLIPPERS", have two different typefaces, and one of them is even a script. That's one example that there is too much going on. That's why I would emphasize the word "CLIPPERS" by enlarging it and drop "LOS ANGELES". I'm sure It's a matter of common knowledge that all NBA fans associate the Clippers with the city of L.A.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

It's not terrible but there is a LOT going on. Everything is from the department of redundancy department. The LAC roundel that simply says Clippers Basketball 50 seasons is better than the badge itself. I'd love to see that at center court. 

4 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

It's nice, but there's too much going on. You probably should simplify the whole thing. My biggest gripe is the roundel logo at the bottom of the logo – which would be okay – if it hadn't text around the LAC mark ("Clippers Basketball – Fifty seasons"). Imagine the logo being used at a small(er) scale – no chance to read that text anymore! Even on the uniform, it would get lost. It's also kind of redundant, since the "50 years" are already the focal point of the logo.

My advice: get rid of the text around the circle logo at the bottom. You could then also enlarge the "LAC" logo in order to get thicker strokes, just like the rest of the logo.

I would also delete the white outlines inside the "50" by putting that same thin white outline at the bottom of your layers panel. Same with the "LAC" logo, the "LOS ANGELES" banner, the "1950" and "1970" ribbon. I would use these white outlines literally and only as outlines for usage on a dark background. Right now, there are just way too many white thin outlines, or white lines in general, all over the place in your logo that clutter up the mark.

I also don't think that "LOS ANGELES" is needed, or helpful in terms of design, since the two terms, "LOS ANGELES" and "CLIPPERS", have two different typefaces, and one of them is even a script. That's one example that there is too much going on. That's why I would emphasize the word "CLIPPERS" by enlarging it and drop "LOS ANGELES". I'm sure It's a matter of common knowledge that all NBA fans associate the Clippers with the city of L.A.

Wow, thanks a lot for your thoughts, man.

Yeah, I would delete the white outlines inside the "50" for sure! Thanks for pointing out I could also get rid of the outlines around the "LOS ANGELES" banner, the "1950" and "1970" ribbon. Much appreciated!

Also, the roundel logo was actually the idea of my good friend Dilomski, who helped me digitally enhance the logo. He thought it's a good idea to have the current logo somewhere in the anniversary concept.

Be careful putting "50th Anniversary" and "50 Seasons." Depending on what season they use the logo, or wear it as a uniform patch, it could be incorrect.  The 2019-2020 season would be their 50th season, but the 2020-2021 would be their 50th Anniversary (50th Anniversary of their 1st season).  I agree there is quite a lot going on in the logo, but I think a few simple tweaks and it would be uniform ready.  Definitely a great start!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I came across a website that has blatantly stolen my logo concept.
 And my "Clippers 50th Season" logo concept design was first posted in August 2019:

What bothers me is:
  • my logo concept is fan art and was created for Non-Commercial purposes ONLY (unless the Clippers themselves wanted to use it, but I thought if that were the case they would have the decency to contact me, which they haven't)
Let me clarify: what I created was never meant to be used as a T-shirt design in the first place. I simply created a concept inspired by the Clippers basketball team logo with the intent of Non-Commercial purposes ONLY. 

A third party (NBAprojersey.net) has used my exact same logo concept and put it on a T-shirt.
There is an infringement on 2 levels as: 
- the T-shirt design contains elements created by me 
and 
 - also on infringement of the copyright, trademark, right of publicity and intellectual property rights of the Clipper.

Any ideas what could be done?

alYllOk.png

P.S.

Here is the link to that plagiarism/theft of intellectual property:

On 6/11/2020 at 6:32 AM, loneranger158 said:

Hey man, I see some designs on your Instagram that look eerily similar to those done by someone else, you gonna give them credit?

https://nbajerseydatabase.tumblr.com/tagged/la+clippers

Hey "thanks" for being WAAAAYYYYY OFF TOPIC. First off -- those are not "designs" as you mentioned -- those are rather vectored uniform illustrations of uniforms used in the NBA.

If you're extremely concerned about that - you could've contacted me via a Personal Message as the UNIFORM ILLUSTRATIONS have NOTHING to do with the topic discussed here!

Anyway, I always give credit where it's due!!! And I have surely given that person credit in SEVERAL WAYS, ON EACH AND EVERY POST!!

I've informed the person who came up with that concept and inspired me to create a chronological sequence of posts tracing the CLIPPERS history in my "Every Jersey Ever Used" posts. In addition to the fine print credit on each post, I have also given him full credit and mentioned a link to his blog in the comments.

Wish I could re-post his stuff and tag him, but sadly he doesn't have an IG account yet... 😔

😔

But I'm trying to convince him to create one... FYI, I've reached out to him. And he is okay with the way I actually promote his work on IG (as I said he is not on that platform yet). And I consider him a hero for his efforts.

D1QNcsz.jpg

Next time you wanna point fingers at me -- remember that I always give credit where it's due, ALWAYS!! Maybe you should take a closer look.

If you were to look at my Instagram posts closely - you would've noticed I've given him credit on the pics and on the caption too... SMH.

The fact that you're calling me out for allegedly not given credit (when I actually did) shows that you're extremely "observant" and quick to accuse/judge people. Way to go....

P.S.

"Thanks" for overlooking each and every instance of where I gave credit when it's due.. Thanks for (unintentionally?) trying to stain my name. Thanks for being off-topic on my 50th anniversary thread.  All that is "greatly appreciated".

Way to go....

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 11:34 PM, loneranger158 said:

I would like to apologize for this, I meant no ill will just trying to give credit where it was due. 

Gotcha!!

BTW guys, I'm working on a "Performance Post" infographic about the 50th anniv. logo interaction on all 3 major platforms (IG, Fb, Twitter).

https://imgur.com/a/RiAFNUp

On 6/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, BenchOnaQUEST said:

A third party (NBAprojersey.net) has used my exact same logo concept and put it on a T-shirt.

There is an infringement on 2 levels as: 
- the T-shirt design contains elements created by me 
and 
 - also on infringement of the copyright, trademark, right of publicity and intellectual property rights of the Clipper.

Any ideas what could be done?

alYllOk.png

P.S.

Here is the link to that plagiarism/theft of intellectual property:

It's been pretty common for those illegal, unofficial, unauthorized, non-licensed vendors to scour through and rip off a concept or tweak found in these and other forums.  They've even attempted to ask people to provide vector graphics files, probably so they can make it as sharp and as official-looking as possible to fool unsuspecting fans and consumers.

Also, I'm sure they've been infringing on many NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB logos for profit, not just your tribute design.  It's like whack-a-mole; one gets shut down, and another one pops up.  You can keep reporting them, but they ripped you off because they thought it looked cool and they could probably make a few bucks off of it.  Do you think it is an actual Nike jersey?  I doubt it.  It's all photoshopped and they will make them if people order it, which is why even though NBA authentic or even replica/swingman jerseys are getting more expensive by the year, it seems, one should not pay these other crooks your hard-earned money in case you get scammed and don't even get a jersey in the mail.

Too much going on in the logo.

Take off the script logo. Take off the "Clippers Basketball" roundel, but keep the LAC logo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, sayahh said:

It's been pretty common for those illegal, unofficial, unauthorized, non-licensed vendors to scour through and rip off a concept or tweak found in these and other forums.  They've even attempted to ask people to provide vector graphics files, probably so they can make it as sharp and as official-looking as possible to fool unsuspecting fans and consumers.

Also, I'm sure they've been infringing on many NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB logos for profit, not just your tribute design.  It's like whack-a-mole; one gets shut down, and another one pops up.  You can keep reporting them, but they ripped you off because they thought it looked cool and they could probably make a few bucks off of it.  Do you think it is an actual Nike jersey?  I doubt it.  It's all photoshopped and they will make them if people order it, which is why even though NBA authentic or even replica/swingman jerseys are getting more expensive by the year, it seems, one should not pay these other crooks your hard-earned money in case you get scammed and don't even get a jersey in the mail.

Yeah man, you sure have a valid point. I appreciate your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot to like here but I think as mentioned, it's a tad busy still.

You probably don't need the Clippers wordmark and the alternate logo. Use one or the other imo.

You also probably don't need the Los Angeles at the top. Just using one of the two logos is going to work.

Really, you could probably condense this down to one of the Clippers logos, the 50th... and a single banner with anniversary the years.

I think having 3 banners is a bit much (one for each year and another for Anniversary). it would take some working out but you

could have a single banner that incorporates Anniversary and the years.

1. The current blue banner could look like it's wrapping around the 50...then have either end of the banner come out from the behind the 50 on left and right....
on those you can have the years. (Basically the way you have it now for the years but it would look like its all one banner).

OR

2. Instead of saying anniversary.... you could say "years" in the middle and then have the 1970 and 2020 flanking on either side of "years".

Just a couple thoughts to consider all in an attempt to simplify.

spacer.png

On 8/4/2020 at 2:23 AM, OmegaRed said:

(...) I think having 3 banners is a bit much (one for each year and another for Anniversary). it would take some working out but you

could have a single banner that incorporates Anniversary and the years.

1. The current blue banner could look like it's wrapping around the 50...then have either end of the banner come out from the behind the 50 on left and right....
on those you can have the years. (Basically the way you have it now for the years but it would look like its all one banner).

OR

2. Instead of saying anniversary.... you could say "years" in the middle and then have the 1970 and 2020 flanking on either side of "years".

Just a couple thoughts to consider all in an attempt to simplify.

Wow, great ideas.. Thanks a lot!! Btw, here's a combined Post Performance (Fb + IG + Tw):

Archived