Sports things you DON'T miss.

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I don’t miss the pre-BCS national championship vote where bowl tie-ins hampered the best matchups.

I don't miss the idea that a national champion would be chosen by coaches and reporters. Say what you will about the BCS, but it was a step in the right direction, at least.

Bonus: I do not miss these Bills uniforms at all. Jesus Christ, I feel bad for whoever was a sports fan in Buffalo in the late 2000s.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, -kj said:

If you're going to stick with the carnival games after regulation, I'd prefer what the IIHF does these days, which is similar.  They give 3 points for a regulation win, but an OT/shootout win gives 2 to the winner and 1 to the loser.  Every game is still worth 3 points.

The NHL has kinda backdoored (or maybe more squeezed-through-the-bathroom-window) their way into this by separating regulation wins, regulation+overtime wins, and shootout wins for tiebreaking purposes. I don't care for it, but I don't care for 3-on-3 overtime, either. I don't know what I want anymore. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I don't miss the idea that a national champion would be chosen by coaches and reporters. Say what you will about the BCS, but it was a step in the right direction, at least.

Bonus: I do not miss these Bills uniforms at all. Jesus Christ, I feel bad for whoever was a sports fan in Buffalo in the late 2000s.

It was pretty grim! There was that one Sabres season where everyone thought they would win everything, but then they flamed out in the playoffs and that was it. Plus the Bills looked like garbage and played worse. And there was an annual fear both teams would be folded or contracted or moved or what.

Who knew all it would take for stability in the Buffalo sports market was fracking?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Two things I don't miss:

-- Smoking in the stands.  I can remember this occurring at many outdoor stadiums and ballparks, and even indoor ones like the Superdome.  My daughter and I watched a replay of game 7 of the 1965 World Series the other day and she commented on how ridiculously prevalent it was. 

-- Pretty much before my time, but racially segregated seating.

• Like 10

It is what it is.

I don't miss the NFL blackout policy.

I don't miss the Edwards Jones Dome being an NFL stadium even if St. Louis did get :censored:ed over. That place was a dump even in the late 90s. 

I don't miss the New Orleans Hornets.

And I don't miss the Oakland Mausoleum being an NFL stadium. Like St. Louis, a total dump stadium in a total dump of a town. Although the Mausoleum was more of an upper decker than a dump

Edited by Red Comet

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Two things I don't miss:

-- Smoking in the stands.  I can remember this occurring at many outdoor stadiums and ballparks, and even indoor ones like the Superdome.  My daughter and watched a replay of game 7 of the 1965 World Series the other day and she commented on how ridiculously prevalent it was. 

-- Pretty much before my time, but racially segregated seating.

Good ones.

I am old enough to remember smoking in the stands at outdoor venues and it's amazing at this point to think that the person in the 18-inch-wide seat next to your 18-inch-wide seat could smoke. I am not sure when that stopped everywhere...probably late-1980s.

In a way, it was worse at indoor venues.  The smoky concorse is one of my memories of the Met Center, home of  the North Stars, where I attended games from about age 8 to 17. It was awful.  And then the Metrodome.  PA announcer Bob Casey, before each game would say "Noooooo smoking at the Metrodome!" (Cheers).  But the concourse had smoking and non-smoking areas. Invariably right on the "smoking" side of the yellow line would be three people blowing their smoke into the so-called "non-smoking" area. 

• Like 4

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:
6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

-- Smoking in the stands.  I can remember this occurring at many outdoor stadiums and ballparks, and even indoor ones like the Superdome.  My daughter and watched a replay of game 7 of the 1965 World Series the other day and she commented on how ridiculously prevalent it was.

Good ones.

I am old enough to remember smoking in the stands at outdoor venues and it's amazing at this point to think that the person in the 18-inch-wide seat next to your 18-inch-wide seat could smoke. I am not sure when that stopped everywhere...probably late-1980s.

I used to smoke weed in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium.  There is no better way to enjoy a game.  I was at Reggie Jackson's last appearance at the Stadium as an active player, in May of 1987.  I felt very emotional saying goodbye to a figure who helped define an era, both in history and in my life.  And Rick Cerone got a hit in the game!  So that made it even better.  Reggie, Rick, and reefer.  Can't beat that kind of stuff.

Anyway, the smoking (of cigarettes) in the stands never bothered me.  And I hated the smell of cigarettes; both my parents smoked, and I was so sick of it, especially in the car.  But outdoors — such as at a stadium, at a park, at the beach — that wasn't a problem, on account of the wind.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 5/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, OnWis97 said:

Good ones.

In a way, it was worse at indoor venues.  The smoky concorse is one of my memories of the Met Center, home of  the North Stars, where I attended games from about age 8 to 17. It was awful.  And then the Metrodome.  PA announcer Bob Casey, before each game would say "Noooooo smoking at the Metrodome!" (Cheers).  But the concourse had smoking and non-smoking areas. Invariably right on the "smoking" side of the yellow line would be three people blowing their smoke into the so-called "non-smoking" area. 

I remember the Pepsi commercials at movie theaters with the little girl and Jack Palance's voice when they were all required to ban smoking. I showed the video to my kid and she refuses to believe we ever smoke indoors. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, Red Comet said:

I don't miss the NFL blackout policy.

Agree. I hate Sports Blackout Policies in general.

Also like to add: I don't miss The Tennessee Oilers. Sounds horribly wrong to me.

Dual-Use Stadiums. I never should think one stadium should be used for everything. Especially MLB and NFL dual use stadiums like Three Rivers Stadium or Astrodome. Still need to get rid of the Alamodome, despite not holding and MLB or NFL team, the stadium looks bad. Also hate it when MLS teams used NFL stadiums. Giants Stadiums or RFK Stadium should never be used for soccer and that is final. 

Also don't miss the first wave of third jerseys in the NHL. St Louis Blues Jazz Jersey is a nightmare to look at. If i had to wear it for my team I would be asked to be sent to another team or go to the AHL instead. I also hate the Buffalo Sabers Jerseys of the Late 2000's as well. Weird thing is that i love the prior one before it.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

I don't miss the days of the only beer options at a ballpark being Bud or Bud Light (or their Coors equivalents, whatever). If I'm paying $15 for a beer it better be the finest fancypants craft brewed up in tanks made of crystal. For a while the only reason I was going to Revolution games in Foxboro was that it was the only place in MA to find Heady Topper.

• Like 6

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I don't know about y'all, but I don't miss the great Yankees dynasty of the mid-late '90s...

OR that annoying-behind victory call (y'all know the one)....

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Also don't miss the first wave of third jerseys in the NHL. St Louis Blues Jazz Jersey is a nightmare to look at. If i had to wear it for my team I would be asked to be sent to another team or go to the AHL instead. I also hate the Buffalo Sabers Jerseys of the Late 2000's as well. Weird thing is that i love the prior one before it.

1) you never had to look at it since it was never worn.

2) no you wouldn't have.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1) you never had to look at it since it was never worn.

2) no you wouldn't have.

I seen what they look at online. They just look bad to me. I guess a better example would be the LA Kings third jersey from 95 to 96 since that was worn. 

Also, yeah, I would actually. I like the AHL actually. I'm weird but I used to grew up watching the Houston Aeros on Fox Sports Southwest.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

Personally I would rather stick around playing for the Arkansas Travelers of AA if the Seattle Mariners decided to roll out with bad jerseys. That's because I'm a man of integrity who is willing to let his hypothetical family struggle rather than making millions. Sorry that the rest of you idiots care more about money than uniforms.

Also, I don't miss seeing the same three or four commercials in an infinite loop on TV.

• Like 2

In addition to my prior sports TV thoughts, two ones that might make me run for the hills and one that's not unpopular. Let's fire up the one that won't make me put on top of a fire

-The first go round of NASCAR on NBC was meh when they were paired with TNT, and it became clear it was TNT's doing in that 2007-14 stretch. Part of it was unfortunately losing Benny Parsons to cancer, but it really came down to all the commercial breaks and not good production values. They wasted that Bestwick-Benny-Wally combo because of those issues hampering it. Oddly enough NASCAR on NBC since 2015 is on the 2001-07 NASCAR on Fox tier of great coverage.

-Speaking of NBC... the latter years of the NBA on NBC kinda lost its luster a bit in the Kobe and Shaq Lakers dynasty and post-Jordan era. It just didn't have the big time feel it did in the 1991-98 stretch. Also didn't help that NBC Sports didn't have an on-screen scorebug at all times until 2004 with whatever the hell abomination they had for Notre Dame football.

-Actually, one other NBC one that's kinda linked to today. It was really weird having no baseball on NBC and then WHAM! there's a LCS and the World Series on NBC all of a sudden in October. Not that it's a bad thing to have Bob Costas calling postseason baseball (granted again, they were behind the times with scorebugs). Same thing with TBS when you watched 0 games on it all year because the Sunday national game was when 13 other games are on and it's blacked out locally and then all of a sudden the entire LDS was on TBS. It's smoothened out a bit with Fox getting a split of the LDS now and at least TBS has stuck around for a long while, and the extension of the deal might carve out a new more prominent weekly package for them too.

-And now for the one to make me head for the hills. Boy, the OLN debacle made a lot of hockey people forget that the NHL on ESPN was utter trash the final 3 years or so, especially once they got the NBA deal. The NHL on ABC was a downgrade over Fox in terms of the amount of weeks it was on and the games they were airing, and that's oddly enough around the time National Hockey Night took a hit in quality. NBC has its own issues with variety. but the final years of ESPN were all Wings, Avs, and Devils all the time with some Flyers or Pens sprinkled in. Then once the NBA moved to ESPN they didn't promote it, they switched networks games were on last second, they didn't even throw the Heritage Classic onto ESPN2 or anything, and it was clear ESPN didn't want anything to do with the NHL anymore at that time. Once Comcast started giving a bit of an effort in putting together a sports network after getting those Pens-Wings Cup finals and hockey fans stopped caring about every single TV ratings release, there wasn't much left to miss about being on ESPN, at least from the standpoint of the 2000's. I'd definitely be down with the NHL adding ESPN alongside NBC and NBCSN with the next contract like every other league does with multiple broadcast partners (just with the caveat that you put all 7 SCF games on NBC proper, and then you can split the weeknight CFs with one conference on ESPN, the other on NBCSN, and weekend games on NBC), but if every NCAA Hockey Tournament and the 2016 World Cup of Hockey are any indication I wouldn't be too upset if FS1 outbid them instead.

• Like 2

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

• 1 month later...

I personally don't miss how free agency used to be, where players were obligated to play on the team that drafted them because of "Loyalty to an organization". I'm glad players have the right to choose where they want to play now, for the most part.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:41 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

I'd definitely be down with the NHL adding ESPN alongside NBC and NBCSN with the next contract like every other league does with multiple broadcast partners (just with the caveat that you put all 7 SCF games on NBC proper, and then you can split the weeknight CFs with one conference on ESPN, the other on NBCSN, and weekend games on NBC), but if every NCAA Hockey Tournament and the 2016 World Cup of Hockey are any indication I wouldn't be too upset if FS1 outbid them instead.

My hope was that the NHL would slide over to USA as a counterpart to the NBA on TNT, but other than playoff overflow, it never happened. USA is easy to make fun of because of all that chintzy basic-cable fare, but it's still basic cable, and has more cachet than the former OLN. I don't think it really matters anymore now that everyone just streams or pirates TV now anyway but it would have been a nice feather in the cap. I don't think ESPN does a good job with football or basketball, and even their once-great baseball coverage has slipped, so I don't mind them not being in the picture.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Jamesizzo said:

I personally don't miss how free agency used to be, where players were obligated to play on the team that drafted them because of "Loyalty to an organization". I'm glad players have the right to choose where they want to play now, for the most part.

Wha?...

How old are you? Do you even have a clue WHAT you are talking about?

"how free agency used to be, where players were obligated to play on the team that drafted them because of "Loyalty to an organization" "  Um that WASN'T "how free agency used to be", that was BEFORE free agency existed. And it wasn't due to 'Loyalty to an organization', it was due to contractual rights.   Once a team signed or drafted a player,  they had exclusive rights to that player for as long as they wanted. 

"I'm glad players have the right to choose where they want to play now, for the most part"...Actually they don't "have a right to play where they want to play" until they fulfill their rookie contract.  All major leagues still have some form of a draft, and unless the player has some serious leverage (or is independently wealthy) and is willing to sit out,  they have to play with whoever drafted them for the entire length of their first contract.  They also can be traded to another team with no say-so unless they have a no-trade clause in their contract, which many (if not most) players don't have the leverage to have. 

• Like 3

It is what it is.