TrueYankee26

Sports things you DON'T miss.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, B-Rich said:

Two things I don't miss:

-- Smoking in the stands.  I can remember this occurring at many outdoor stadiums and ballparks, and even indoor ones like the Superdome.  My daughter and I watched a replay of game 7 of the 1965 World Series the other day and she commented on how ridiculously prevalent it was. 

-- Pretty much before my time, but racially segregated seating.

i was listening to a local area sports show and one of the gentlemen on the show was saying that (when he was younger) he went to a NBA game (with his father) and by the 3rd quarter there was a haze of smoke in the rafters.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:35 AM, Discrim said:

I remember when score bugs didn't exist.  All hail the score bug.

I thought about an idea for a smaller second screen above or below (or even movable so you can choose to place it above, below or completely away from your TV set) that only displays the score and you'd be able to watch the entire field/court/rink on your TV set without the permanent or sporadic score bug obscuring any part of the action.  Of course, the TV set manufacturers would have to coordinate with a bunch of stations, OTA and cable, to make that happen. I'm sure it's doable but perhaps not worth the money for the parties involved to join and roll out this feature.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, Discrim said:

I remember when score bugs didn't exist.  All hail the score bug.

I have been watching some games from 1986 lately, as I found three of Tom Seaver's starts with the Red Sox. And what I noticed (apart from the lack of personality on the Red Sox' broadcasts) is how much I missed the simple pleasure of an unobstructed screen. Death to the score bug.

I absolutely loathe ESPN's bottom line.

• It's gigantic
  • It's mostly empty
  • The right side is just there for ads
    • Those ads are just other Disney-owned things like Star Wars
    • Or it's sports stuff that is advertised constantly
  • A giant chunk of the left side is dedicated to telling you which channel you're on
  • Scores and news don't need a bottom line because I have the internet which tells me all of that, plus which channel the games are on
  • "Score alerts" make the whole damn thing turn yellow, which of course makes you think that a flag has been thrown when watching football

Score bugs are fine when done right, but the bottom line can go to hell, especially ESPN's.

48 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I absolutely loathe ESPN's bottom line.

• It's gigantic
  • It's mostly empty
  • The right side is just there for ads
    • Those ads are just other Disney-owned things like Star Wars
    • Or it's sports stuff that is advertised constantly
  • A giant chunk of the left side is dedicated to telling you which channel you're on
  • Scores and news don't need a bottom line because I have the internet which tells me all of that, plus which channel the games are on
  • "Score alerts" make the whole damn thing turn yellow, which of course makes you think that a flag has been thrown when watching football

Score bugs are fine when done right, but the bottom line can go to hell, especially ESPN's.

The bottom line did serve a purpose in the 90s (I think that is when it was introduced) but, like you said, I have the internet and/or apps for that now right in the palm of my hand.

The only real purpose is that it acts as a huge Disney ad at this point.

ESPN's bottom is way too big, but I don't mind have the scores at the bottom. If I'm watching a game, I'm not looking at my phone, I'm watching the game.

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

The bottom line did serve a purpose in the 90s (I think that is when it was introduced) but, like you said, I have the internet and/or apps for that now right in the palm of my hand.

The only real purpose is that it acts as a huge Disney ad at this point.

One of the things that really bugged me with the new bottom line is that when they first introduced it, the ad space on the right was directly below the score bug and they were almost identical in size. So I wanted them to move the score bug into that slot so that the score would always be visible, even during a commercial break like the rest of the bottom line. Instead, they made a new score bug that's probably 2/3 the height of the gigantic bottom line, stuck the bug on top of that, and made it the width of the screen so that their stupid graphics take up even more room!

Here's a blurry photo I just took. Look how much empty space there is. There is no point in this thing being this big. It serves no purpose. As you mention, it was cool in the 90s, but it just isn't necessary anymore, and certainly didn't need to become bigger.

jhDn40W.jpg

EDIT

20 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

ESPN's bottom is way too big, but I don't mind have the scores at the bottom. If I'm watching a game, I'm not looking at my phone, I'm watching the game.

If you watch college football, you will look at your phone or something because the commercial breaks are lengthy and numerous. Flipping channels like a madman is the only way to watch this wretched sport.

Also, if I edit in a quote after the fact does it send a notification to that person?

59 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

EDIT

If you watch college football, you will look at your phone or something because the commercial breaks are lengthy and numerous. Flipping channels like a madman is the only way to watch this wretched sport.

Also, if I edit in a quote after the fact does it send a notification to that person?

It does! (if you were talking about me, the added quote. I have no idea if it sends another one to the first person).

I know I'm the weird one here, but I'll just keep watching the same 7 commercials each game haha. I still have no idea how the networks still think they can get a college football game in a three hours window