Teams that changed uniforms but wore the previous uniforms at preseason

Has this topic been discussed before?  Teams that had new uniforms but were still wearing the previous season's uniforms during exhibition, spring training, or preseason.

Gridiron Uniform Database have several NFL examples, such as the 1978 New York Jets changing their uniforms but wearing the Joe Namath-era uniforms (but with the new helmets) during the preseason.

1978_NYJets.png

Doesn't count but the 1993 New England Patriots had new uniforms and change their logo from Pat Patriot to the Flying Elvis.  It was also the same year Bill Parcells made his debut as the team's coach.  I saw a picture posted on this forum of Parcells at practice with one of the players wearing gear based on the previous look.  Can't find the exact photo, so here's Parcells posing with the Pat Patriot helmet.  Again, this example doesn't count as the Patriots wore their new uniforms that preseason.  Maybe this photo is from 1994, where the Patriots and the other NFL teams wore throwbacks during the NFL's 75th anniversary season.

023-698x1024.jpg

1992/93 Phoenix Suns.  Was Charles Barkley's first year with the team, in addition to the new uniforms that debuted that season but Sir Charles is seen wearing the previous uniforms during that season's exhibition.

5186D83Ko0L._SY445_QL70_.jpg

In 1987, The Minnesota Twins had new uniforms and logo, but during spring training the team wore the previous season's uniforms (w/the powder blue pants) but wore the new caps.  Go to 2:53 on this video on the 1987 Twins team that won the World Series.

https://youtu.be/dpDNbdKLFKg?t=179

1992 Philadelphia Phillies had new uniforms/logo/red & royal blue color scheme but were still wearing the maroon-themed uniforms during preseason.  Go to 4:18 on this video about the 1992 MLB season.

https://youtu.be/-S9zHKh9BCk?t=258

1993 Cincinnati Reds had new uniforms and brought back the vest/sleeveless look.  However, during that season's spring training, the team was still wearing the 1972-1992 pullover uniforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwiwc9Wt0c

Any other examples?

2010 Saskatchewan Roughriders.  The Riders wore black facemasks in 2009, along with silver pants at home.  In 2010, they made the change to white facemasks and white pants at home.

Here was the new look in 2010:

spacer.png

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Gallery+Roughriders/3224740/story.html

However, in the 2010 preseason, they kept wearing the old silver pants before retiring them at the start of the regular season.

spacer.png

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Lions+beat+Riders/3150123/story.html

The LA Kings wore their outgoing purple alternate uniform for every one of their games in the 2002 preseason. The crown on this jersey was used on the home and road jerseys in the regular season. Interestingly, the Kings wore purple socks with this jersey for at least one preseason game, despite wearing it exclusively with black socks in the regular season.

spacer.png

On 5/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, disman00911 said:

In 1987, The Minnesota Twins had new uniforms and logo, but during spring training the team wore the previous season's uniforms (w/the powder blue pants) but wore the new caps.  Go to 2:53 on this video on the 1987 Twins team that won the World Series.

https://youtu.be/dpDNbdKLFKg?t=179

I came here to mention this one.  I was 12 years old and so pumped to see the new uniforms.  I turned a spring training game on just to see them and was just dejected to see them wearing the previous year’s BP jerseys.  I suspect they wore the white pants at home.

Actually the new hats are in that clip.  I didn’t remember that they had unveiled those.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The football Giants brought out their new uniforms and their maginificent new logo in 1975, upon their return to New York City to play at Shea Stadium for a year after two years at the Yale Bowl, in the final season before their move into Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands. 

The "one and done" 1975 New York Giants helmet. (With images ...

(Note: the Giants used this logo for 1975 only.  They had intended it to be their new permanent logo; but the whining ninnies at the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority raised such a stink that the team wound up dropping the logo after one year, and using the awkward and highly overrated team-name logo on the helmets when they moved into Giants Stadium in 1976.)

In the 1975 preseason, the team wore its 1974 uniforms.  And most players wore blank helmets.  In this preseason game against the Jets at the Yale Bowl, only quarterback Craig Morton has the logo decal on his helmet, while the other players have helmets with no logo (but with the new stripe).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

33 minutes ago, Ark said:

I love that neon NY logo, I wish it lasted longer.

That logo is powerful and bold, truly a case of an improvement.  I like the classic/current ny logo; but I love the design on the beautiful upper-case NY logo.  How sad that the best logo the team ever had lasted only one season.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yeah, the neon NY logo is pretty slick. It's totally a product of its time and I would expect that it would haven replaced by this point anyway, but at least the spirit of it lived on with the old MSG Network logo:

latest?cb=20121123175405

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, disman00911 said:

1992 Philadelphia Phillies had new uniforms/logo/red & royal blue color scheme but were still wearing the maroon-themed uniforms during preseason.  Go to 4:18 on this video about the 1992 MLB season.

https://youtu.be/-S9zHKh9BCk?t=258

Not only during the preseason, but also during opening day warmups!  The Phanatic was traveling around the city with the new uniforms locked in a trunk, and arrived at the stadium after batting BP, so the first time the fans saw the new uniforms was during player intros.  No fancy uni unveiling during the offseason - just the logo, which wasn't even celebrated - just kinda mentioned in the newspaper - nothing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would the '83/'84 Pens count?
www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins12.html

At that time, they were wearing Yellow at Home.
They Drafted Lemieux ('84 Draft), they wore the Yellow uniforms during the '84/'85 Pre Season but ditched them for White uniforms for that season
www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins13.html

On 5/24/2020 at 9:54 PM, Wade Heidt said:

The Eastern Riders starting wearing the Flaming Double R logo in 1992.

spacer.png

🔥🔥

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, disman00911 said:

1992/93 Phoenix Suns.  Was Charles Barkley's first year with the team, in addition to the new uniforms that debuted that season but Sir Charles is seen wearing the previous uniforms during that season's exhibition.

5186D83Ko0L._SY445_QL70_.jpg

This particular instance is also seen in an episode of "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper"...

DZlt3o3W4AIBa_L.jpg

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23609-1381948425-18

Archived