rsaline's 2020 NFL Redo

rsaline

Seven teams updated their look this offseason, which is an insane turnover rate. I liked what most of the teams did, but there are some things I would tweak. I tried not to do wholesale changes but keep with the themes that the teams tried to establish. Here we go, in chronological order by release date.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I like the return to the Super Bowl era uniforms, but the pewter alternate was less than stellar for me. I redid it to match the rest of the set and the primary pewter pants. I also kept the chrome facemask from the previous set because I actually think they pulled it off.

eLi5Mia.png

Atlanta Falcons

I don't hate the Falcons new look, but it needs a lot of help. I shrunk the ATL mark, tapered the numbers like what Oregon did with the Pro Combat era and made the drop shadow go down instead of right. I also took away the gradient on the red jersey, and added gray pants instead of red. I kept the silver facemask, but they should make it a brushed finish.

3Q9NWJO.png

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts updates were pretty solid. All I would do is extend the hoops underneath the arm like the Panthers new cut and switch out the black Nike swoosh for blue on the white jersey. I also added stripes to the socks, but I could live without those I suppose.

ATtVvZ3.png

Cleveland Browns

The Browns can be easily fixed by dropping the alternate and adding orange pants to the set. I don't care about the facemask since white/brown/gray all work for me. I went with white to remind all the Browns fans of the Bernie Kosar era.

CNxwVKG.png

New England Patriots

I really don't like this look, but it's better than their previous set I suppose. I would extend the hoops underneath the arm like the Colts, add TV numbers to the shoulders, take away the white pants and replace them with gray. I wouldn't add a red jersey to this set unless they were going to switch from navy to royal. I also kept the previous numerals, but I would be fine if they switched that to a more traditional block font.

kNozFCM.png

Los Angeles Chargers

I think the Chargers new set is going to look great on the field. That said, I would not italicize the numbers and add TV numbers and contrasting panels to the shoulders. I would also add more zigs to the bolts on the shoulders and pants. Finally, I would put a narrower version of the numerals on the helmet. I actually prefer the royal color rush alternate, but I think the navy one would be passable if they took white out of the set. Ultimately, I think they will pair this with a navy helmet if the NFL changes their rules.

oaWfKqU.png

Los Angeles Rams

This one was the biggest miss for me, so it has the most changes. I took out all the breaks in the horn and replaced them with a foil-finished inline, same for the numbers. I think it helps bring out the LA Deco theme even more. Kept the squished TV numbers but made them not italicized. Made true horns on the shoulders similar to the throwbacks. Got rid of bone and added a yellow alternate.

39NlxmD.png

Going to go through my thoughts on all of them:

Buccaneers - Would add red socks to the road uniform and some white or silver trim to the alternate so it's more legible. 

Falcons - Still don't love the side panels but a massive improvement on the newest set. Great job on keeping the theme of the redesign while making it better.

Colts - I'm a big proponent of adding a second stripe to the helmet, but otherwise perfect.

Browns - Just about perfect here as well. I'm in the brown facemask camp personally, but there really isn't a bad option.

Patriots - You should switch out the navy socks for white ones on the road uniform, otherwise it'll be too bottom heavy. 

Chargers - Perfection. 

Rams - This is a massive, massive improvement. You did a fantastic job of incorporating the new elements without going overboard. Like with the Patriots, I would switch out the socks on the road so they don't match the pants, or just drop the blue pants entirely.

These are all fantastic, I'm impressed. Lots of great font choices, too. Where did you find them?

Most of the fonts I just made custom numerals for each player and tried to keep it close to what the teams actually unveiled. Quick and dirty because I didn't want to spend too much time on it, just wanted my ideas out of my head.

3 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

These are all fantastic, I'm impressed. Lots of great font choices, too. Where did you find them?

Archived