Former Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback Boomer Esiason Advocates For New Uniforms

Former Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback Boomer Esiason Advocates For New Uniforms

May 25, 2020 - 18:43 PM

Seven NFL teams underwent either significant or subtle changes to their uniforms this offseason, including the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Rams, New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Longtime Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Boomer […]

Read More...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that the bot posted this and it hasn't even been seen yet, but just for discussion purposes, does Boomer Esiason saying he doesn't like the uniforms count as a "rumor of new uniforms" which would warrant a thread in the News forum?  Just curious how the new policy (when it's implemented) addresses things like this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This could get interesting.

It's not like he said anything that a lot of us haven't already been thinking.  I do like that he specifically targeted Oklahoma State, behind my own Seminoles far and away my favorite collegiate brand identity out there right now.  Sometimes, the folks at the Swoosh can get it right--when they can tone it down. (See, I'm not just a Nike hater, folks.😁) The problem comes when they try injecting too much of their "forward-thinking ideas" into the mix, "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" and that's how we end up with stuff like the Titans, and what the Browns and Buccaneers just threw out to pasture. That said...I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the creative team up there is just chomping at the bit to get their hands on a reversioned Bengals project.  I mean, Reebok did a pretty good job of jacking them up already, but um...so yeah.  

Shoot--let me get in in on that project; I already have a number set designed, ready and waiting for them. C'mon, man! 😀

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I get that the bot posted this and it hasn't even been seen yet, but just for discussion purposes, does Boomer Esiason saying he doesn't like the uniforms count as a "rumor of new uniforms" which would warrant a thread in the News forum?  Just curious how the new policy (when it's implemented) addresses things like this.

No, personally, I would move the bot-started thread to Discussion (and will after I hit reply here). There's no actual info in the piece, just Boomer saying he doesn't like the unis.

And FWIW we're still discussing the new policy among the mod team. We've taken the feedback on board and are revamping.

Easy for him to say when he wore the greatest uniform in NFL history.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Easy for him to say when he wore the greatest uniform in NFL history.

Ditto...those uniforms were some of the best, all Bengals uniforms were down hill afters the 90s...

Gotta say I prefer the thicker tiger stripes of the Corey Dillon era.

But the tiger stripes in the shoulder/pants stripes was an excellent look and I'll never understand why they ever moved away from that.

21 hours ago, Buc said:

This could get interesting.

It's not like he said anything that a lot of us haven't already been thinking.  I do like that he specifically targeted Oklahoma State, behind my own Seminoles far and away my favorite collegiate brand identity out there right now.

Can you expand on this? I like their traditional look here:

usatsi_11538360-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=

But otherwise OK State comes off to me as very collegiate and Nike-y, rather than NFL worthy. They do a lot of monochrome with alternate colors, and use a lot of dumb alt logos and ugly sublimations. I feel like applying their design principles to the Bengals would just be a Falcons level debacle, but that might be an unfair assumption. Which looks do you love from OK State that could inspire the Bengals?

6 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

But otherwise OK State comes off to me as very collegiate and Nike-y, rather than NFL worthy. They do a lot of monochrome with alternate colors, and use a lot of dumb alt logos and ugly sublimations. I feel like applying their design principles to the Bengals would just be a Falcons level debacle, but that might be an unfair assumption. Which looks do you love from OK State that could inspire the Bengals?

I think he's referencing the current primary look though, not these. 

1194794411.jpg.0.jpg

A tiger stripe in place of the wordmark would look pretty solid. 

JusticeHill_2017_3.jpg

A new bengal stiping pattern on an orange lid, somewhat similar to the bandanna pattern shown here could work, but I think the helmet should remain the same. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, radchad said:

Gotta say I prefer the thicker tiger stripes of the Corey Dillon era.

But the tiger stripes in the shoulder/pants stripes was an excellent look and I'll never understand why they ever moved away from that.

I like the thinner ones.  It feels like they were trying to be more "realistic" with the thicker stripes. In hindsight it seems like a small step towards the tiger suits they are wearing now.

I liked the originals because you could see more stripes and not just parts of stripes coming from outside the frame. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Let's have some uniforms from the early Ken Anderson era, which was the last time the Bengals dressed like adults rather than clowns.

Ken Anderson | SportPics Archive    Today in Pro Football History: 1980: Bengals Upset Steelers to ...

I understand that that helmet "logo" was pretty bad; either the B or the bengal face would make for a great helmet logo.  Honestly, even the tiger-stripe helmet would be acceptable, if it were worn with this straightforward and dignified uniform.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Let's have some uniforms from the early Ken Anderson era, which was the last time the Bengals dressed like adults rather than clowns.

Ken Anderson | SportPics Archive    Today in Pro Football History: 1980: Bengals Upset Steelers to ...

I understand that that helmet "logo" was pretty bad; either the B or the bengal face would make for a great helmet logo.  Honestly, even the tiger-stripe helmet would be acceptable, if it were worn with this straightforward and dignified uniform.

I think you're doing shtick here. This uniform isn't anything to aspire to. It's plan to the point of boring, and is a palette swap of the Browns with a change to black plus words on a helmet. This isn't a uniform design; it's a placeholder for something better. And the tiger-themed team found something very much better than lasted for a long time.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think you're doing shtick here. This uniform isn't anything to aspire to. It's plan to the point of boring, and is a palette swap of the Browns with a change to black plus words on a helmet. This isn't a uniform design; it's a placeholder for something better. And the tiger-themed team found something very much better than lasted for a long time.

No shtick.  The old Bengals' uniform is no more "boring" than that of the Giants or the Cardinals (formerly) or the Colts.  The correct description of that sort of look is "simple and dignified".  

Yes, it is similar to the Browns' uniform.  This is not a problem, just as it has never been a problem that West Ham and Aston Villa have similar uniforms.

And I have already admitted that the helmet is terrible.  Even still, overall that's a mightly handsome set.  And, conversely, absolutely everything the team has worn since they ditched that set has been varying degrees of garbage.

If the Bengals want to change, perhaps they could consider changing into actual football uniforms.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think he's referencing the current primary look though, not these. 

1194794411.jpg.0.jpg

A tiger stripe in place of the wordmark would look pretty solid. 

Quite correct, sir. When in primary guise, OK State is my favorite look in the game right now.

6 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Yes I can.

I've always been particularly drawn to "complexity within the confines of simplicity"--that actually was my design credo for the longest time when I was still a young pup in the game (and I still do use it when necessary). Most would call OK State the "Ed Hardy" of CFB, and I wouldn't disagree--but that special paisley pattern of theirs is just too good. It works best, like most highly-detailed elements, in small doses, such as OK State's usage of it in their collar and cuff trim. While I do like their black helmets by themselves, black lids ain't "Oklahoma State" to me; that's Oregon State (insofar as black and orange are concerned). Speaking of that pattern, The Swoosh shows considerable constraint by not splattering that pattern all up in their numbers. And speaking of those numbers...i get on Nike quite a bit for some of their more hackneyed number font hackjobs, but this one just works. It's obviously a custom chop job, but the numbers actually fit together and give off that "cowboy-esque" vibe without looking corny or out of sorts. I could do without the nicknames on the leg, but it doesn't really hurt the look too much in my eyes. Plus, they use just the right amount of silver...in primary guise.  So yeah, so long as they keep it to their primary orange and white (with black trim), OK State is tops for me in CFB. (By the way, did I mention that genius Marshall's badge alternate logo of theirs?)

Now, I wouldn't expect any of that to make its way to Cincinnati...they have their own thing with the tiger stripes; best for them not to overdo it. If the overall vibe of usage of orange and black comes out looking something like OK State--or their Corey Dillon/Willie Anderson years (and don't y'all forget about him), I think they'll be working with something.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's worse than a placeholder. It's actually a middle finger to the Cleveland Browns. They looked like Browns South for their first 13 something seasons because Paul Brown wanted to stick it to his old team and was following the model from when he founded the Browns. Also, he thought any extra time spent on uniforms was less time spent on football and therefore nancy boy stuff. It's not a uniform with any recognizable features, warm memories, or even commendable reasoning for the design in the first place. When they started wearing the tiger stripes is when they became their own franchise. The only people who want the Bengals to go back to those uniforms are 100. 

Boomer Esiason is correct and it's no surprise that he thinks that way when he wore both of the best uniforms in franchise history. 

dec-1997-quarterback-boomer-esiason-of-tquarterback-boomer-esiason-of-the-cincin

striking, sharp, unique, yet still a football uniform adult men can wear without feeling goofy. 

He also had to suffer the indignity of this

snwo4jz85ulnbmmxpjel

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived